submitted 7 months ago by self@awful.systems to c/techtakes@awful.systems

(via mastodon)

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] earthquake@lemm.ee 8 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

It probably does deserve its own post, I'm not sure I can do it justice. "Urbit is an attempt to make computers great again", the phrase "from scratch" appears 7 times, "Urbit is doing God’s work to make the perfect computer", [in a linked tweet] "Urbit fulfills prophecy", "It’s [Urbit] a massive virtue signal".

I missed the comments section at first. "This is one of the things Urbit got right. Especially useful to pique people's interest and keep them invested by giving them a unique, cool identity." Jurij claiming that Urbit is amazing because...usernames?

And then there's the link to Plunder, which the NixOS-heads will have to investigate to figure out if it does what it says:

"Plunder is a new programming model where programs run forever. Hardware restarts are invisible to the software, as is moving a running program from one physical machine to another."

Finally, Haywire has such lovely readers as *squints* "Eva Brawn".

[-] sc_griffith@awful.systems 10 points 7 months ago

urbit is the most unintentionally funny software ever created, the more posts about it the better

[-] self@awful.systems 6 points 7 months ago

oh I got you covered! as soon as I get the chance I’ll draft a new urbit thread for this. I believe our last one covered Plunder which is indeed a trip from a Nix standpoint; I should dig that thread up to reference

this post was submitted on 11 Feb 2024
102 points (100.0% liked)

TechTakes

1287 readers
446 users here now

Big brain tech dude got yet another clueless take over at HackerNews etc? Here's the place to vent. Orange site, VC foolishness, all welcome.

This is not debate club. Unless it’s amusing debate.

For actually-good tech, you want our NotAwfulTech community

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS