you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] MNByChoice@midwest.social 35 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

Generational fights are stupid and fix nothing.

Edit: Emphasis on fix.

[-] zed_proclaimer@hexbear.net 20 points 9 months ago

Eh, 80%+ of American boomers support genociding Palestinians while only like 15% of young people do. There is certainly something going on

[-] mar_k@hexbear.net 5 points 9 months ago

I know it's wrong to generalize, but when I saw a poll in October that 70+% of americans over 55 explicitly supported Israel cutting off food, water, and power from Gaza, I had a hard time interacting with random old white people without assuming like they most likely lack basic human morality

[-] HumanBehaviorByBjork@hexbear.net 18 points 9 months ago

true. that said, every elder millenial must undergo a reeducation process.

[-] PM_ME_YOUR_FOUCAULTS@hexbear.net 7 points 9 months ago

Absolutely fair

[-] Rod_Blagojevic@hexbear.net 4 points 9 months ago

Please don't lock me up and force me to read Marx.

[-] Adkml@hexbear.net 8 points 9 months ago

Counterpoint, virtually every societal problem we have now is a result of boomers tearing down a mostly working system to make sure there was nothing left for anybody after them.

If there isn't something uniquely wrong with boomers how come every poll of "should we do things that improve society or keep fucking everything up" has boomers in support of fucking everything up by 40 points compared to millenials.

[-] zed_proclaimer@hexbear.net 13 points 9 months ago

Boomers didn’t do that, the forces of capital did. No matter what generational cohort was present, the drive of profits and privatization are inexorable under capitalism and cannot be defeated. It’s the fate of all succ dem nations to be ripped apart by internal contradictions and domestic capital

[-] Adkml@hexbear.net 2 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

Pensions were a thing.

Then boomers decuded that instead of paying into a system that future generations would benefit them thay actually just wanted it all now.

Same with Medicare and medicaid

Same with the environment

Same with housing.

Literally every single topic has seen negative progress because of the decisions of boomers, which subsequent generations have been working to counteract.

I'm not going to give the guy turning the crank on the orphan crushing machine a pass just because "the orphan crushing machine exists, somebody's going to turn it"

Especially if you're then going to argue the people actively trying to get them to stop crushing orphans aren't any better than him

[-] zed_proclaimer@hexbear.net 13 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

These aren’t decisions. Capital tightens as the rate of profit falls. Austerity is a force like gravity. There’s nothing the boomers could have done that would resulted in a different outcome except to overthrow capitalism.

None of the efforts from “subsequent generations” will be able to reverse this trend and “counteract” these decisions. You won’t ever get these things back without major social upheaval and revolutionary actions. It will be even worse for your children and grandchildren, if nothing is done and we stumble onwards. They will blame your generation for pulling up the ladder too if they use your logic.

this post was submitted on 11 Dec 2023
162 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15893 readers
338 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS