Literally just mainlining marketing material straight into whatever’s left of their rotting brains.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 108 points 10 months ago

For fucks sake it's just an algorithm. It's not capable of becoming sentient.

Have I lost it or has everyone become an idiot?

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 53 points 10 months ago

Crude reductionist beliefs such as humans being nothing more than "meat computers" and/or "stochastic parrots" have certainly contributed to the belief that a sufficiently elaborate LLM treat printer would be at least as valid a person as actual living people.

[-] daisy@hexbear.net 38 points 10 months ago

This is verging on a religious debate, but assuming that there's no "spiritual" component to human intelligence and consciousness like a non-localized soul, what else can we be but ultra-complex "meat computers"?

[-] oktherebuddy@hexbear.net 37 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

yeah this is knee-jerk anti-technology shite from people here because we live in a society organized along lines where creation of AI would lead to our oppression instead of our liberation. of course making a computer be sentient is possible, to believe otherwise is to engage in magical (chauvinistic?) thinking about what constitutes consciousness.

When I watched blade runner 2049 I thought the human police captain character telling the Officer K (replicant) character she was different from him because she had a soul a bit weird, since sci-fi settings are pretty secular. Turns out this was prophetic and people are more than willing to get all spiritual if it helps them invent reasons to differentiate themselves from the Other.

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 17 points 10 months ago

Nobody ever mentioned a “soul” in this conversation until you brought it up to use as an accusation.

“Computers aren’t sentient” is not a religious belief no matter how hard you try to smear it as such.

[-] oktherebuddy@hexbear.net 12 points 10 months ago

It isn't "Computers aren't sentient", nobody thinks computers are sentient except some weirdos. "Computers can't be sentient", which is what is under discussion, is a much stronger claim.

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 12 points 10 months ago

The claim is that “computers can be sentient”. That is a strong claim and requires equally strong evidence. I’ve found the arguments in support of it lackluster and reductionist for reasons I’ve outlined in other comments. In fact, I find the idea that if we compute hard enough we get sentience borders on a religious belief in extra-physical properties being bestowed upon physical objects once they pass a certain threshold.

There are people who argue that everything is conscious, even rocks, because everything is ultimately a mechanical process. The base argument is the same, but I have a feeling that most people here would suddenly disagree with them for some reason. Is it “creationism” to find such a hypothesis absurd, or is it vulgar materialism to think it’s correct? You seem to take offense at being called “reductionist” despite engaging in a textbook case of reductionism.

This doesn’t mean you’re wrong, or that the rock-consciousness people are wrong, it’s just an observation. Any meaningful debate about sentience right now is going to be philosophical. If you want to be scientific the answer is “I don’t know”. I don’t pretend to equate philosophy with science.

[-] oktherebuddy@hexbear.net 9 points 10 months ago

Consciousness isn't an extra-physical property. That's the belief.

I don't take offense to being called reductionist, I take offense to reductionism being said pejoratively. Like how creationists say it. It's obvious to me that going deeper, understanding the mechanisms behind things, makes them richer.

The thing that makes your argument tricky is we do have evidence now. Computers are unambiguously exhibiting behaviors that resemble behaviors of conscious beings. I don't think that makes them conscious at this time, any more than animals who exhibit interesting behavior, but it shows that this mechanism has legs. If you think LLMs are as good as AI is ever going to get that's just really blinkered.

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 8 points 10 months ago

I think that AI will get better but it’s “base” will remain the same. Going deeper to understand the mechanisms is different than just going “it’s a mechanism”, which I see a lot of people doing. I think computers can very easily replicate human behaviors and emulate emotions.

Obviously creating something sentient is possible since brains evolved. And if we don’t kill ourselves I think it’s very possible that we’ll get there. But I think it will be very different to what we think of as a “computer” and the only similarities they might share could be being electrically powered.

At the end of the road we’ll just get to arguing about philosophical zombies and the discussion usually wraps up there.

I’d be very happy if it turned out that I’m completely wrong.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] usernamesaredifficul@hexbear.net 10 points 10 months ago

the replicants are people because they are characters writen by the author same as any other.

sentient machines is only science fiction

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] Yurt_Owl@hexbear.net 16 points 10 months ago

Why is the concept of a spirit relevant? Computers and living beings share practically nothing in common

[-] oktherebuddy@hexbear.net 15 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

You speak very confidently about two things that have seen the boundaries between them shift dramatically within the past few decades. I would also like to ask if you actually understand microbiology & how it works, or have even seen a video of ATP Synthase in action.

[-] Yurt_Owl@hexbear.net 15 points 10 months ago

Go be a computer somewhere else

[-] oktherebuddy@hexbear.net 14 points 10 months ago

Go be spooky somewhere else. Calling things "reductionist" like some kind of creationist.

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 13 points 10 months ago

Love to see the “umm ackshually scientists keep changing their minds” card on hexbear dot net. Yes neuroscience could suddenly shift to entirely support your belief, but that’s not exactly a stellar argument. I’d love to know how ATP has literally anything to do with proving computational consciousness other than that ATP kind of sort of resembles a mechanical thing (because it is mechanical).

Sentience as a physical property does not have to stem from the same processes. Everything in the universe is “mechanical” so making that observation is meaningless. Everything is a “mechanism” so everything has that in common. Reducing everything down to their very base definition instead of taking into account what kind of mechanisms they are is literally the very definition of reductionism. You have to look at the wider process that derives from the sum of its mechanical parts, because that’s where differences arise. Of course if you strip everything down to its foundation it’s going to be the same. Is a door and a movie camera the same thing because they both consist of parts that move?

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] daisy@hexbear.net 15 points 10 months ago

Let's assume for the moment that there's no such thing as a spirit/soul/ghost/etc. in human beings and other animals, and that everything that makes me "me" is inside my body. If this is the case, computers and living brains do have something fundamental in common. They are both made of matter that obeys the laws of physics. As far as we know, there's no such thing as "living" quarks and electrons that are distinct from "non-living" quarks and electrons.

[-] Yurt_Owl@hexbear.net 14 points 10 months ago

How very crude and reductionist just like the source comment says.

[-] daisy@hexbear.net 15 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

I'm having a hard time understanding your reasoning and perspective on this. My interpretation of your comments is that you believe biological intelligence is a special phenomenon that cannot be understood by the scientific method. If I'm in error, I'd welcome a correction.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 11 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Please stop doing the heavy lifting for LLM tech companies by implying that any rejection of the "AI" labeling of their products is faith healing, crystal touching, and New Age thinking.

It is possible, and much more likely, that organic brains can be fully understood eventually but that imitating a performatively loud portion of what those organic brains seem to do with LLMs is not the same thing as a linear replication of the entire process.

[-] ShimmeringKoi@hexbear.net 9 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)
[-] Nevoic@lemm.ee 29 points 10 months ago

I don't know where everyone is getting these in depth understandings of how and when sentience arises. To me, it seems plausible that simply increasing processing power for a sufficiently general algorithm produces sentience. I don't believe in a soul, or that organic matter has special properties that allows sentience to arise.

I could maybe get behind the idea that LLMs can't be sentient, but you generalized to all algorithms. As if human thought is somehow qualitatively different than a sufficiently advanced algorithm.

Even if we find the limit to LLMs and figure out that sentience can't arise (I don't know how this would be proven, but let's say it was), you'd still somehow have to prove that algorithms can't produce sentience, and that only the magical fairy dust in our souls produce sentience.

That's not something that I've bought into yet.

[-] TraumaDumpling@hexbear.net 42 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

so i know a lot of other users will just be dismissive but i like to hone my critical thinking skills, and most people are completely unfamiliar with these advanced concepts, so here's my philosophical examination of the issue.

the thing is, we don't even know how to prove HUMANS are sentient except by self-reports of our internal subjective experiences.

so sentience/consciousness as i discuss it here refers primarily to Qualia, or to a being existing in such a state as to experience Qualia. Qualia are the internal, subjective, mental experiences of external, physical phenomena.

here's the task of people that want to prove that the human brain is a meat computer: Explain, in exact detail, how (i.e. the procsses by which) Qualia, (i.e. internal, subjective, mental experiences) arise from external, objective, physical phenomena.

hint: you can't. the move by physicalist philosophy is simply to deny the existence of qualia, consciousness, and subjective experience altogether as 'illusory' - but illusory to what? an illusion necessarily has an audience, something it is fooling or decieving. this 'something' would be the 'consciousness' or 'sentience' or to put it in your oh so smug terms the 'soul' that non-physicalist philosophy might posit. this move by physicalists is therefore syntactically absurd and merely moves the goalpost from 'what are qualia' to 'what are those illusory, deceitful qualia decieving'. consciousness/sentience/qualia are distinctly not information processing phenomena, they are entirely superfluous to information processing tasks. sentience/consciousness/Qualia is/are not the information processing, but internal, subjective, mental awareness and experience of some of these information processing tasks.

Consider information processing, and the kinds of information processing that our brains/minds are capable of.

What about information processing requires an internal, subjective, mental experience? Nothing at all. An information processing system could hypothetically manage all of the tasks of a human's normal activities (moving, eating, speaking, planning, etc.) flawlessly, without having such an internal, subjective, mental experience. (this hypothetical kind of person with no internal experiences is where the term 'philosophical zombie' comes from) There is no reason to assume that an information processing system that contains information about itself would have to be 'aware' of this information in a conscious sense of having an internal, subjective, mental experience of the information, like how a calculator or computer is assumed to perform information processing without any internal subjective mental experiences of its own (independently of the human operators).

and yet, humans (and likely other kinds of life) do have these strange internal subjective mental phenomena anyway.

our science has yet to figure out how or why this is, and the usual neuroscience task of merely correlating internal experiences to external brain activity measurements will fundamentally and definitionally never be able to prove causation, even hypothetically.

so the options we are left with in terms of conclusions to draw are:

1. all matter contains some kind of (inhuman) sentience, including computers, that can sometimes coalesce into human-like sentience when in certain configurations (animism)
  2. nothing is truly sentient whatsoever and our self reports otherwise are to be ignored and disregarded (self-denying mechanistic physicalist zen nihilism)
  3. there is something special or unique or not entirely understood about biological life (at least human life if not all life with a central nervous system) that produces sentience/consciousness/Qualia ('soul'-ism as you might put it, but no 'soul' is required for this conclusion, it could just as easily be termed 'mystery-ism' or 'unknown-ism')

And personally the only option i have any disdain for is number 2, as i cannot bring myself to deny the very thing i am constantly and completely immersed inside of/identical with.

[-] Saeculum@hexbear.net 10 points 10 months ago

here's the task of people that want to prove that the human brain is a meat computer: Explain, in exact detail, how (i.e. the procsses by which) Qualia, (i.e. internal, subjective, mental experiences) arise from external, objective, physical phenomena.

hint: you can't.

Why not? I understand that we cannot, at this particular moment, explain every step of the process and how every cause translates to an effect until you have consciousness, but we can point at the results of observation and study and less complex systems we understand the workings of better and say that it's most likely that the human brain functions in the same way, and these processes produce Qualia.

It's not absolute proof, but there's nothing wrong with just saying that from what we understand, this is the most likely explanation.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, why is the idea that it can't be done the takeaway rather than it will take a long time for us to be able to say whether or not it's possible?

and the usual neuroscience task of merely correlating internal experiences to external brain activity measurements will fundamentally and definitionally never be able to prove causation, even hypothetically.

Once you believe you understand exactly what external brain activity leads to particular internal experiences, you could surely prove it experimentally by building a system where you can induce that activity and seeing if the system can report back the expected experience (though this might not be possible to do ethically).

As a final point, surely your own argument above about an illusion requiring an observer rules out concluding anything along the lines of point 2?

[-] TraumaDumpling@hexbear.net 16 points 10 months ago

Why not?

because qualia are fundamentally a subjective phenomena, and there is no concievable way to arrive at subjective phenomena via objective physical quantitites/measurements.

Once you believe you understand exactly what external brain activity leads to particular internal experiences, you could surely prove it experimentally by building a system where you can induce that activity and seeing if the system can report back the expected experience (though this might not be possible to do ethically).

this is not true. for example, take the example of a radio, presented to uncontacted people who do not know what a radio is. It would be reasonable for these people to assume that the voices coming from the radio are produced in their entirety inside the radio box/chassis, after all, when you interfere with the internals of the radio, it effects which voices come out and in what quality. and yet, because of a fundamental lack of understanding of the mechanics of the radio, and a lack of knowledge of how radios are used and how radio programs are produced and performed, this is an entirely incorrect assessment of the situation.

in this metaphor, the 'radio' is analogous to the 'brain' or 'body', and the 'voices' or radio programs are the 'consciousness', that is assumed to be coming form inside the box, but is in fact coming from outside the box, from completely invisible waves in the air. the 'uncontacted people' are modern scientists trying to understand that which is unknown to humanity.

this isn't to say that i think the brain is a radio, although that is a fun thought experiment, but to demonstrate why correlation does not, in fact, necessarily imply causation, especially in the case of the neural correlates of consciousness. consciousness definitely impinges upon or depends upon the physical brain, it is in some sense affected by it, no one would argue this point seriously, but to assume causal relationship is intellectually lazy.

load more comments (9 replies)
[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 11 points 10 months ago
[-] WithoutFurtherBelay@hexbear.net 12 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Donald Duck is correct here but also that’s precisely why techbros are so infuriating. They take that conclusion and then use it to disregard everything except the one thing they conveniently think isn’t based on chemicals, like free market capitalism or Eliezer “Christ the Second” Yud

Dismissing emotions just because they are chemicals is nonsensical. It makes no sense that that alone would invalidate anything whatsoever. But these people think it does because they are conditioned by Protestantism to think that all meaning has to come from a divine and unshakeable authority. That’s why they keep reinventing God, so they have something to channel their legitimate emotions through that their delusional brain can’t invalidate.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 8 points 10 months ago

My issue with, say, "love is chemicals" isn't that the experience of feeling love is neurochemical activity. It's the crude reductionist conclusion of "and therefore it is meaningless just like based Rick Sanchez said, get schwifty!" so-true

Similarly, I don't hold a position that living brains are impossible to fully understand; it's that there's more left to know and a lot of unknowns left to explore. The implication of some people in this thread is that you must choose between "LLMs are at least as conscious as human beings or are getting there very soon" or "I am a faith healer crystal toucher sprinkled with fairy dust" which is a bullshit false dichotomy.

load more comments (3 replies)
load more comments (6 replies)
load more comments (26 replies)
[-] stigsbandit34z@hexbear.net 22 points 10 months ago

I’m no philosopher, but at lot of these questions seem very epistemological and not much different from religious ones (i.e. so what changes if we determine that life is a simulation). Like they’re definitely fun questions, but I just don’t see how they’ll be answered with how much is unknown. We’re talking “how did we get here” type stuff

I’m not so much concerned with that aspect as I am about the fact that it’s a powerful technology that will be used to oppress shrug-outta-hecks

[-] usernamesaredifficul@hexbear.net 17 points 10 months ago

I think it would be far less confusing to call them algorithmic statistical models rather than AI

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 14 points 10 months ago

Absolutely, but AI is the marketing promise that they can hype and not deliever and milk until its dry

[-] WholeEnchilada@hexbear.net 11 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Actually, yeah, you're on it. These questions are epistemological. They're also phenomenological. Testing AI is all about seeing how it responds and reacts just as much as they are about being. It's silly. When it comes to AI right now, existing is measured by reaction to see if it's imitating a human intelligence. I'm pretty sure "I react therefore I am" was never coined by any great, old philosopher. So, what can we learn from your observation? Nobody knows anything. Or at least, the supposed geniuses who make AI and test it believe that reaction measures intelligence.

[-] Tommasi@hexbear.net 21 points 10 months ago

I don't know where everyone is getting these in depth understandings of how and when sentience arises.

It's exactly the fact that we don't how sentience forms that makes the acting like fucking chatgpt is now on the brink of developing it so ludicrous. Neuroscientists don't even know how it works, so why are these AI hypemen so sure they got it figured out?

The only logical answer is that they don't and it's 100% marketing.

Hoping computer algorithms made in a way that's meant to superficially mimic neural connections will somehow become capable of thinking on its own if they just become powerful enough is a complete shot in the dark.

[-] Wheaties@hexbear.net 19 points 10 months ago

To me, it seems plausible that simply increasing processing power for a sufficiently general algorithm produces sentience. I don't believe in a soul, or that organic matter has special properties that allows sentience to arise.

this is the popular sentiment with programmers and spectators right now, but even taking all those assumptions as true, it still doesn't mean we are close to anything.

Consider the complexity of sentient, multicellular organism. That's trillions of cells all interacting with each-other and the environment concurrently. Even if you reduce that down to just the processes with a brain, that's still more things happening in and between those neurons than anything we could realistically model in a programme. Programmers like to reduce that complexity down by only looking at the synaptic connections between neurons, and ignoring the everything else the cells are doing.

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 18 points 10 months ago

You're making a lot of assumptions about the human mind there.

load more comments (16 replies)
[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 13 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Well, my (admittedly postgrad) work with biology gives me the impression that the brain has a lot more parts to consider than just a language-trained machine. Hell, most living creatures don't even have language.

It just screams of a marketing scam. I'm not against the idea of AI. Although from an ethical standpoint I question bringing life into this world for the purpose of using it like a tool. You know, slavery. But I don't think this is what they're doing. I think they're just trying to sell the next Google AdSense

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] WithoutFurtherBelay@hexbear.net 11 points 10 months ago

That’s an unfalsifiable belief. “We don’t know how sentience works so they could be sentient” is easily reversed because it’s based entirely on the fact that we can’t technically disprove or prove it.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 8 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

"I am a very smart atheist that can not be fooled by fairy tales, therefore LLMs sound like the exact same thing as living brains. I can not be sold a bad bill of goods; my contempt for religion means I believe tech company marketing hype." galaxy-brain

EDIT: "Also, tech companies are above superstitious beliefs." https://futurism.com/openai-employees-say-firms-chief-scientist-has-been-making-strange-spiritual-claims

Also, some light reading for those who need it.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2311.09247

[-] VILenin@hexbear.net 18 points 10 months ago

Have I lost it

Well no, owls are smart. But yes, in terms of idiocy, very few go lower than “Silicon Valley techbro”

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 14 points 10 months ago

Have I lost it

No you haven't. I feel the same way though, since the world has gone mad over it. Reporting on this is just another proof that journalism only exists ro make capitalists money. Anything approaching the lib idea of a "free and independent press" would start every article explaining that none of this is AI, it is not capable of achieving consciousness, and theyvare only saying this to create hype

[-] SkingradGuard@hexbear.net 12 points 10 months ago

Have I lost it or has everyone become an idiot?

Brainworms has been amplified and promoted by social media, I don't think you have lost it. This is just the shitty capitalist world we live in.

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 12 points 10 months ago

For fucks sake it's just an algorithm. It's not capable of becoming sentient.

If I call you a meat computer, or a stochastic parrot, or say "ape" enough times, the algorithm will by comparison seem closer to sentient. smuglord

this post was submitted on 23 Nov 2023
212 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15891 readers
237 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS