submitted 10 months ago by cyu@sh.itjust.works to c/technology@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] FaceDeer@kbin.social 83 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

I feel like that "corporate wants you to find the differences between these two photos" meme. Isn't everyone in those photos, in both the top and bottom rows, white?

Edit: Ah, I see, OP has given this a highly misleading title. The "whiteness" of the faces is not actually particularly relevant. In another thread someone summarized what the article is actually about:

For anyone who doesn’t want to read the paper, they basically took an 60 white men and 60 white women, and showed them a whole bunch of white faces, half of which were generated by AI. It turns out that AI faces were rated as more human-like than actual humans, and they had some hypothesis why. Principally that AI, by its nature, generates images close to “average”, while real people tend to have features that are not “average”. The reason the study focused on white people is that most AI have been trained on white faces, so AI tends to do better with white faces.

[-] twotone@lemmy.world 23 points 10 months ago

An op? Making a misleading title? On Lemmy?

Man, it's as if the severe lack of moderation and rules that so many people wanted when moving from Reddit is hurting the quality of posts on here.

[-] RobotToaster@mander.xyz 29 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Fr fr nobody ever wrote a clickbait headline on reddit.

[-] Helaman@lemmynsfw.com 1 points 10 months ago

Every culture thinks they invented the bag full of bags.

[-] twotone@lemmy.world -1 points 10 months ago

You know there is a significant difference between it being a thing you might see occasionally versus an ongoing issue?

[-] StorminNorman@lemmy.world 8 points 10 months ago

Yeah, and it was an ongoing issue with Reddit. Probably still is. Sure, small, niche subreddits that had active moderation were generally free of the scourge. But it was quite a common phenomenon across the site, in my experience.

[-] meekah@lemmy.world 2 points 10 months ago

how is it only a thing you might see occasionally on reddit? I saw misleading titles daily when I still used that site.

[-] SeaJ@lemm.ee 1 points 10 months ago

It turns out that AI faces were rated as more human-like than actual humans

I tried guessing from the ArsTechnica article and got a whopping 1 out of 8 correct.

[-] Aatube@kbin.social 1 points 10 months ago

@cyu Could you add “white” between “actual” and “human”?

this post was submitted on 15 Nov 2023
206 points (83.7% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
4199 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS