submitted 11 months ago by Grayox@lemmy.ml to c/memes@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Gigan@lemmy.world 8 points 11 months ago

Destigmatize using credit cards to fund a lifestyle you can't afford

[-] Grayox@lemmy.ml 46 points 11 months ago

Existing is a lifestyle most cant afford at this point, but ok.

[-] slazer2au@lemmy.world 8 points 11 months ago

But what about all those reward points I am missing out on? If I spend big now, in a decade I may be able to cash them in on a shitty kettle.

[-] Gigan@lemmy.world 7 points 11 months ago

Credit card companies: "We'll give you 1% cash back and charge 25% interest"

Americans: "Wow 1%! This is a great deal!"

[-] hamburglar26@wilbo.tech 1 points 11 months ago

Part of the problem is you have to build credit to buy a house or car, and cards are the best way to do that.

But for many it is easy to get behind and they will eat you up quick. The whole system sucks.

[-] Gigan@lemmy.world 2 points 11 months ago

You don't need credit to buy a car, only to finance one. I bought my current car used and with cash and plan to do the same for my next one. Cars are a terrible thing to finance because they lose value so quickly.

If you want to build credit for a mortgage, use it to pay for a recurring monthly payment like car insurance or a phone bill. Pay it off every month and dont use it for anything else.

[-] grue@lemmy.world 5 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

You don’t need credit to buy a car, only to finance one. I bought my current car used and with cash and plan to do the same for my next one. Cars are a terrible thing to finance because they lose value so quickly.

Yet another example of how car-dependent zoning is a trap. Imagine the financial freedom people would have if they didn't "need" a car in the first place!

[-] Gigan@lemmy.world 4 points 11 months ago
[-] CommunityLinkFixer@lemmings.world 4 points 11 months ago

Hi there! Looks like you linked to a Lemmy community using a URL instead of its name, which doesn't work well for people on different instances. Try fixing it like this: !fuckcars@lemmy.world

[-] Grayox@lemmy.ml 2 points 11 months ago
[-] Aux@lemmy.world 1 points 11 months ago

Why do you need a credit to buy a car? You don't.

[-] hamburglar26@wilbo.tech 4 points 11 months ago

You don’t as long as you have enough cash to get something and keep it running. There is a huge market for predatory car loans for people that need a car but have shit credit.

[-] Aux@lemmy.world 0 points 11 months ago

A car is a privilege, not a right. If you can't afford it - use a bus instead.

this post was submitted on 01 Nov 2023
354 points (97.6% liked)

Memes

45284 readers
3955 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS