submitted 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago) by SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net to c/chapotraphouse@hexbear.net

Went to my uncles cabin in the woods for a few days to relax, he's got the box set of the show and decided to give it a rewatch, was a pretty big fan in college. Got through like 3 episodes and shut it off.

Yes, Whedon is a creepy and maybe knowing that affecting my judgment, but honestly does feel like I'm noticing things my younger brain didn't. A lot of the dialog seems overwritten, some of the "quirky" shit the characters do comes off more obnoxious than endearing, also the story is giving me weird AnCap vibes. I mean yeah the Alliance clearly is pretty evil but we never get much explanation as to what the Brown Coats political program is, why did they want to succeed? Them being confederate coded sure as shit doesn't help.

Also, it almost leans TOO much into the whole western asethic sometimes, to the point I find it unbelievable. Okay, sure, humanity hastily colonized some planets and now some have regressed into SciFi Deadwood, I can dig that. But like, people on horses with cowboy hats seems a bit too comic for me.

Idk, just some random observations.

Edit: oh yeah and the intro song fucking sucks. That was something I thought even back when I liked the show.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] PapaEmeritusIII@hexbear.net 35 points 11 months ago

I enjoyed it a lot in a recent rewatch, but it’s definitely a “brain switched off” sort of show for me. Had fun while watching, but didn’t find much of substance to sit and think about afterward. The “world building” was really just a backdrop for the characters. But I think that’s OK sometimes. The lack of Asian characters was IMO the show’s biggest flaw.

[-] ProfessorAdonisCnut@hexbear.net 20 points 11 months ago

It will always mess with my brain that the DVD subtitles always just said "speaks galactic language" when people speak Mandarin.

[-] Findom_DeLuise@hexbear.net 26 points 11 months ago

We call that "foreshadowing" xi-shining

this post was submitted on 22 Oct 2023
96 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13460 readers
744 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank