you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 0 points 4 hours ago

I'm not deflecting at all. I'm talking about what I do to make a change in the world and make it a better place.

Refusing to use a Mac in an Mac-dominated industry affects nothing other than my bank balance.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 hours ago

I disagree, people don't live in isolation, everything you do has some effect elsewhere. Thats far more true when you have kids, as you brought up, because they will copy your ideas and methods.

You can definitely say it has no other affect on you personally than your bank balance, and thats fine. I am concerned about external affects though because I value reducing harm no matter how much unrelated good I do.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 0 points 2 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

Dude, it's a consumer choice. No one is forcing anyone to buy a Mac. Why on Earth is this the hill you want to die on when there are vastly bigger problems going on?

Also, what's it to you what I choose to buy? I don't give a shit about anything you've ever bought in your entire life. I guarantee that.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 hour ago* (last edited 1 hour ago)

You keep saying force, noones forcing anything. I literally just said that I accept that for you, using a mac fits your values and is a great option.

Do you really have a problem with perspectives that don't match your own?

You have a strange way of lashing out when people disagree with you it seems. Not sure why you are so angry.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

Because you didn't just disagree. You suggested I was doing some sort of immoral thing by choosing to make a survivable amount of money by using the industry standard.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 59 minutes ago

Yes, from my perspective there is some harm caused. Why are you so insecure in your own perspective though?

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 1 points 51 minutes ago

Please spell out exactly what harm has been caused.

I'm not insecure, I just don't care to be insulted. And yes, suggesting I'm immoral is an insult.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 48 minutes ago

Go ahead and research apples business practices yourself. I honestly don't care what you do or don't do. If you have nothing else to add to the discussion then I am not going to argue with you.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 1 points 43 minutes ago

Yes, I know about Apple's business practices. I also know about Google's business practices and Microsoft's business practices and the business practices of all the companies that provide both the components and the final assembly of the hardware you're using right now and I have news for you: they're all guilty of horrific behavior.

You're just scapegoating one of them and letting all the others off the hook. Otherwise you're as immoral as I am just for using those devices and benefiting from slavery.

But do prove me wrong and name the moral and upright technology company that gains no benefit from such things which makes computers I can purchase. I'd love to hear about it.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 29 minutes ago

I'm not scapegoating Apple at all, this is the first time you mentioned the other companies. I'm sorry but I don't agree that because perfect doesnt exist, that excuses bad behavior.

And, again, I don't think you are a bad person, I really don't know much about you at all except you seem to talk more than most.

I was talking about possible alternatives, and also trying to understand the perspective of people who do use the devices for good reason. You are for some reason defending your honor to a complete stranger on the internet who you barely know.

If it makes you feel better, I also do things that cause harm. A major value of mine is learning from past behavior and making better decisions, so thats why I'm even having this discussion.

this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
501 points (98.8% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
5114 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS