you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 3 hours ago

Give me a model to compare to? Are all apple models the same? Or do you mean just pick any of them?

[-] bestboyfriendintheworld@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

Geekbench can be a benchmark for comparable performance. You can look up benchmarks for Mac models and then find comparable performance PC parts under benchmark charts.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 2 points 2 hours ago

Does it count if I find a cheaper laptop that has better numbers than a macbook air that is more expensive?

I do think you might be right that building your own is more expensive now, not sure when that changed.

If I can find a comparable performing non apple device pre built for less, then the only sticking point is proprietary software?

[-] bestboyfriendintheworld@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 hours ago* (last edited 2 hours ago)

The pre built laptop should come with an operating system that supper sets the hardware well to be comparable, I would say.

Performance isn’t everything in a laptop. Screen quality, weight, and battery life also matters. To be comparable, an alternative laptop should be at least in the same class in these aspects.

Pick one and find a comparable PC.

The MacBook Air is the best selling model, so take that if you don’t want to choose yourself.

this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
471 points (99.0% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
4737 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS