you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] bestboyfriendintheworld@sh.itjust.works 1 points 4 hours ago* (last edited 4 hours ago)

The pre built laptop should come with an operating system that supper sets the hardware well to be comparable, I would say.

Performance isn’t everything in a laptop. Screen quality, weight, and battery life also matters. To be comparable, an alternative laptop should be at least in the same class in these aspects.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 hour ago

What would you say about this quality issue thats come up in this post? Longevity is important too.

Apple’s quality is mostly pretty good. Once in a while they have problems with certain models and establish a free service program even for machines out of warranty. The oldest device that still gets a service program is from 2008.

Apple’s repair policies have improved over the years.

Longevity is usually also typically pretty good for Apple devices, especially the higher end models. My iPad Pro from 2018 and iPhone 11 from 2019 still get software updates and perform just fine. Until last year I was still using my MacBook Pro 15 retina from 2014 until last year. It still works fine, I just needed something faster. I would say that’s good enough in terms of longevity.

Upgrading parts of machines is difficult to impossible depending on the device. The newer MacBooks are systems on a chip with memory integrated and SSD soldered to the board. That means you have to buy enough memory and storage now, that will last you for the next decade. That’s a higher expense now, than being able to upgrade these parts five years down the line.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 1 points 40 minutes ago

Well I suppose I'll have to see how they resolve this problem then. It does seem like theres a solid use case for the devices, I think I just don't fit any of them.

Can you think of any company that makes something comparable to apples macbooks or imacs? Maybe shooting for close enough would work for me, as long as I can still put whatever OS on it I want and swap out some parts every once in a while.

this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
499 points (98.8% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
5114 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS