submitted 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago) by Melatonin@lemmy.dbzer0.com to c/moviesandtv@lemm.ee

I'll go first. Mine is the instant knockout drug. Like Dexter's intramuscular injection that causes someone to immediately lose consciousness. Or in the movie Split where there's the aerosol spray in your face that makes you instantly unconscious. Or pretty much any time someone uses chloroform.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] EnderMB@lemmy.world 39 points 18 hours ago* (last edited 18 hours ago)

Star Trek is awful for this, but this conversation:

Subject Matter Expert: Oh no, the defences are down

Captain: How long do you need to fix them?

SME: Two hours

Captain: You have one

No, motherfucker, the person that you fucking PAY for their expertise on this very subject said it would take two hours!

Management is full of these cunts that think they can just dictate a timeline and have people that actually know their shit dance to their tune.

[-] Zozano@lemy.lol 2 points 5 hours ago

"Okay so the installer says it's got nine minutes left, so this step should take about three or four minutes"

[-] Schal330@lemmy.world 12 points 9 hours ago

Hate to be that guy, but the federation exists in a post-money society. No one gets paid, they do what they do for prestige, pride, adventure, and the good of humanity. Maybe the management believe they can inspire their minions to do better, or maybe the SME's are so used to that shit that they under promise and over deliver.

SME: "oh no, our defences are down" Captain: "How long do you need to fix them?" SME: (hmm, captain will cut the time in half, it takes about 15 minutes...fuck it...) "Two hours" Captain: "You have one" SME: (Like candy from a baby)

[-] NostraDavid@programming.dev 6 points 8 hours ago

Cue Scotty, Mr "miracle worker", quadrupling his estimates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SVhg6ZENw

[-] VindictiveJudge@lemmy.world 2 points 3 hours ago

And later, Torres explicitely not doing that.

[-] Reddfugee42@lemmy.world 9 points 15 hours ago

But also if you know anything about engineering, it's double your expected timeline just in case Shit Happens™️. I can fairly safely predict delivery in two hours. I might be able to deliver in one. Under-promise and over-deliver, or risk vice versa.

[-] jagged_circle@feddit.nl 6 points 10 hours ago

I always 7x. Especially if I'm dependent on others

[-] Brosplosion@lemm.ee 1 points 14 hours ago

Honestly this happens a lot. Generally people give estimates reflecting other responsibilities when cutting time is possible

this post was submitted on 06 Oct 2024
88 points (94.0% liked)

Movies and TV Shows

2036 readers
326 users here now

A community for entertainment industry news and general discussion about movies and TV shows.

Rules:

1. Be civil.
  2. Please do not link to pirated content.
  3. No spoilers in the title of submissions. And please use spoiler MarkDown in the body of discussions. This is a courtesy to other users.
  4. Comments solely criticizing headlines and/or journalism will be removed for being off-topic.

founded 11 months ago
MODERATORS