submitted 3 days ago by King@r.nf to c/technology@lemmy.world

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] praise_idleness@sh.itjust.works 19 points 3 days ago

For less technical people or just don't want to deal with public-facing open port: Tailscale or Zerotier are both great option (use Tailscale if former)!

[-] floquant@lemmy.dbzer0.com 10 points 3 days ago

Since Wireguard uses UDP and peers only reply to a received packet if it's expected and valid, it won't show up in port scans and barely increases your attack surface. Tailscale and Zerotier are quite nice, but personally I dislike NAT-punching protocols.

[-] tfw_no_toiletpaper@lemmy.world 3 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

I use tailscale for hosting gameservers for friends and the occasional watch together on jellyfin. Kinda scuffed setup with one burner github account for login. And ~10 devices connected to that network. So I need to authenticate every device myself (at the beginning and sporadically) but I don't need to pay Tailscale for adding multiple accounts to the network.

At the beginning I tried to do set up everything with my own wireguard server. I only have a public v6 IP, so some of my friends connected without problems and for some it would not work. After I think 3h helping them in their router settings I just gave up. I looked up if I could rent a service somewhere that gives me a public Ipv4 relay, found Tailscale instead and stopped looking for something else haha. Sometimes it's not worth the effort.

[-] parody@lemmings.world 1 points 2 days ago

Tailscale w/burner GitHub for watch together

Oooooooh

Noted ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[-] kameecoding@lemmy.world 3 points 3 days ago

I am technical, I decided to just not open up any port that's not needed for Plex and Jellyfin, sometimes it would be nice to access radarr and sonarr remotely, but fuck I just don't want to deal with the setup

this post was submitted on 06 Oct 2024
732 points (90.9% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
7090 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS