submitted 2 days ago by OttoVonNoob@lemmy.ca to c/memes@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] spankmonkey@lemmy.world 73 points 2 days ago

It can ring and give notifications, as long as they aren't set to something obnoxious.

[-] DaddleDew@lemmy.world 83 points 2 days ago

It becomes obnoxious no matter what it is when they're having a text conversation with someone and it's going off constantly

[-] MutilationWave@lemmy.world 34 points 2 days ago

I'm pretty old but do you know the Woody Woodpecker laugh? I used to work with a girl back before smartphones that had that as her text notification. It was the whole thing which takes like five seconds so sometimes it was just that fucking sound almost non-stop. Here it is, cursed fucking creation.

[-] christian@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 day ago

It's kind of amazing that I haven't really thought about Woody Woodpecker since watching the cartoons as a kid and the animation doesn't look familiar at all other than yeah that's the right colors, but I could hear the laugh in my head immediately on seeing the name, without having to play the audio.

[-] jaybone@lemmy.world 17 points 2 days ago

That sounds like something they would do to prisoners in Guantanamo.

[-] affiliate@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

i couldn't even make it through the 8 second video. i cant begin to imagine what you must have gone through. my heart goes out to you

[-] Gerudo@lemm.ee 8 points 2 days ago

I can't imagine the ptsd you have

[-] dohpaz42@lemmy.world 20 points 2 days ago

For me, if I’m actually having a conversation in public, I’ll silence my phone.

[-] doctortran@lemm.ee 6 points 2 days ago

Right, but they were suggesting it should be silenced at all times, by default, even for the very first notification.

[-] TunaCowboy@lemmy.world 13 points 2 days ago

Put your phone on vibrate, you'll survive.

[-] spookex@lemmy.world 4 points 2 days ago

That's what my phone is set at 24/7, the only time it makes a noise from the speakers is when the alarm goes off in the morning.

[-] DaddleDew@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

I have my phone set so it sets itself to vibrate when it disconnects from my home WiFi. It turns the notification sounds back up when it reconnects. I've never had to worry about it again.

[-] HeadfullofSoup@kbin.earth 2 points 2 days ago

That's the way

[-] BowtiesAreCool@lemmy.world -2 points 2 days ago

In the before time, the long long ago, people didn't have a portable social media machine

[-] BowtiesAreCool@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

I meant I don’t think I’ll put it on silent. I barely use social media outside of Lemmy

[-] doctortran@lemm.ee 11 points 2 days ago

Well they should silence it at that point because obviously they're paying enough attention to it and expecting responses, so they should be waiting for the vibrate if not looking at it directly.

But people don't need to have their phone silenced at all times while in public, they just need to be attentive enough to answer and silence it. I frequently don't even feel the vibration.

Unprompted, I will tell you the most obnoxious ring tone I have ever heard. It was on the subway and a voice was suddenly loudly proclaiming: "Warning! Warning! The owner of this phone is a self-confessed binge drinker" until some douchebag picked up the call.

[-] MadBob@feddit.nl 1 points 1 day ago

That is daft, but it does tickle me when someone's ringtone is set to that "warning! It's the wife!" one.

[-] MeatsOfRage@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

It's probably obnoxious in real life but I really wanna do the ZZ Top ringtone from Bad Monkey

this post was submitted on 05 Oct 2024
1462 points (97.8% liked)

memes

9881 readers
2790 users here now

Community rules

1. Be civilNo trolling, bigotry or other insulting / annoying behaviour

2. No politicsThis is non-politics community. For political memes please go to !politicalmemes@lemmy.world

3. No recent repostsCheck for reposts when posting a meme, you can only repost after 1 month

4. No botsNo bots without the express approval of the mods or the admins

5. No Spam/AdsNo advertisements or spam. This is an instance rule and the only way to live.

Sister communities

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS