you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] IsThisAnAI@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

Because once you get off Lemmy/Reddit the world is just fine with white labeling.

If a company takes it's time to build a brand I can trust the product I am perfectly happy paying a little extra. Wegmans does this heavily but in their boxes they have clear and consistent gf labeling. I'm happy to pay a bit extra.

[-] BananaTrifleViolin@lemmy.world 1 points 23 minutes ago* (last edited 20 minutes ago)

The problem with brands is you have to know the brand to know if you're paying for quality or advertising, or both. There are plenty of big brand name products that are not worth the price, but there are plenty that where the price premium is reflected in the quality of the product.

Unfortunately everything has to be on a case by case basis. I generally favour generics but there are a few branded products that I will go out of my way to buy.

A treat example is Pyrex. It used to be a mark of quality due to the material they used to make their plates bowls etc. Then I got sold to some big conglomerate and they switched to cheaper less heat proof material. Now Pyrex is just a shitty legacy name slapped on crap, but at a premium price.

[-] lmaydev@lemmy.world 2 points 50 minutes ago

I'm the exact opposite. In a lot of cases it's exactly the same product (as I. from the same factory) with different packaging.

I will always try the off brand first to see the quality. It's normally the same or better.

Couldn't give a shit about supporting any particular company.

this post was submitted on 05 Oct 2024
35 points (94.9% liked)

World News

38731 readers
3154 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world

Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS