you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

If they're functional, and we get serious about space or birth control, then no it's not a problem. But that is another path we can take to really juice the dystopia.

[-] realitista@lemm.ee 5 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

It will take a very long time indeed before we can reach another habitable planet enough to alleviate an exponentially growing population, and forced birth control will be unpopular, not to mention probably employed as eugenics by those in power against those who aren't.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world -1 points 2 days ago

There's always orbital habitats. They ramp up a lot quicker than even a Mars colony.

[-] realitista@lemm.ee 2 points 2 days ago

Not the way I'd want to spend the rest of my life, that's for sure.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

Eh, it would be worth it with the right recreational activities up there and knowing we weren't setting up altered carbon.

[-] realitista@lemm.ee 1 points 1 day ago

You'd have zero control over your existence. Someone else would own that station and you'd exist entirely at their whim. They would decide if you get food, air, water, shelter. No real access to nature. I'd rather die.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

I already live the renting life. Not much is going to change.

[-] realitista@lemm.ee 1 points 22 hours ago

You're not renting air and water. You have a market of options to choose from. None of those things will be true in space.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 1 points 21 hours ago

Air yeah, water though. We absolutely rent water. My point though is that we're already used to paying a monthly sum to exist.

[-] realitista@lemm.ee 1 points 21 hours ago

In a market economy. I'd never sign up to be slave to a single corporation that has complete control of my life and livelihood.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 1 points 20 hours ago

Well hopefully we don't ever get to an orbital habitat fully owned and controlled by anything except a representative government. But we do need to get off this rock and humans are bad at long term planning. But we're uniquely good at. "OhShitOhShitOhShit, we need to engineer something right now!"

And yeah I realize that's close to brinkmanship, but really I'm just confident we could do it if we were properly motivated.

this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
323 points (97.4% liked)

Technology

58437 readers
4472 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS