Pronouns bad! (lemmy.world)
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] nonentity@sh.itjust.works 236 points 1 day ago

A broadly educated population is incompatible with, and toxic to, conservative ideologies.

[-] FuglyDuck@lemmy.world 93 points 1 day ago

I would suggest it's the conservative ideologies that are toxic, education is the antidote.

[-] nonentity@sh.itjust.works 41 points 1 day ago

I’d posit both statements are true and fundamentally complimentary.

[-] FuglyDuck@lemmy.world -4 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Well, toxins are ~~inorganic~~ not really alive, so they’re not really killed by antidotes

Now if the analogy were infections an antibiotics….

(Edit corrected a word. Apparently, toxins are produced by organisms, got confused for a second there.)

Don't back pedal. You're confusing this whole comment thread.

[-] nickhammes@lemmy.world 23 points 1 day ago

Conservatism is about favoring tradition and supporting the status quo. Going this wild about a common grammatical construct because it reminds you of people you hate for existing isn't conservative, it's something far worse.

[-] Kalysta@lemm.ee 3 points 17 hours ago

Fascism. The word you want is fascism.

[-] grue@lemmy.world 37 points 1 day ago

Conservatism is about favoring tradition and supporting the status quo.

No, that's a lie conservatives tell to make their ideology seem less abhorrent.

What conservatism is actually about is perpetuating hierarchy.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

That would be the tradition they favor.

[-] Revan343@lemmy.ca 51 points 1 day ago

Conservatism is about favoring tradition and supporting the status quo.

That's just what Conservatism claims to be about, but it has always been regressive

[-] nickhammes@lemmy.world -4 points 1 day ago

I think we agree that most self-identified conservatives aren't actually very invested in the status quo or tradition, and are actually regressive reactionaries, but I think it's a clearer point to say that most self-identified conservatives aren't in fact conservative, than that conservatism isn't actually what people (claim they) mean when they say conservative. At that point, conservatism loses its meaning.

[-] Revan343@lemmy.ca 22 points 1 day ago

At that point, conservatism loses its meaning.

Conservatism hasn't lost its meaning, conservatism just never meant what conservatives claimed it meant; it's always been a façade.

Conservatism is about conserving (and reinforcing) power structures; all talk about 'tradition' and 'stability'/'status-quo' is wool over your eyes.

[-] NuclearDolphin@lemmy.ml 2 points 15 hours ago

The status quo is white supremacy, patriarchy, gender norms, and capitalism. That is what they are conserving. Those are the traditions.

And the preservative is done through fear.

[-] Jinfox@lemmy.world 26 points 1 day ago

One could argue that so called "traditions" they are holding so much dearly in their heart never was fully a thing and is just the product of past idealizations and marketing propaganda. "The perfect suburban american trad family" from the 60s is a construct made by marketing people to sell fridges, diamond and beautiful car.

[-] Prunebutt@slrpnk.net 8 points 1 day ago

Idealizing a fake era of greatness which came before the weak, but also very powerful bad people took it away.

Now where have I heard that one before? 🤔

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 1 points 1 day ago

It was an era of greatness, but conservatives destroyed it.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

An era of greatness... for white people.

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 0 points 1 day ago

Climate change is a thing and back then life was cheaper, this "MuH WhIte PeOpLe" shit needs to stop. 80s and 90s were not some sort of ethnonationalist world where black people were genocided.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 2 points 23 hours ago

I thought we were talking about the 1960s? You know, the era that where black people didn't have civil rights or even voting rights in some places legally until the middle of the decade and were still being lynched in significant numbers? The era where both Malcolm X and Dr. King were assassinated?

I stand by my comment.

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 0 points 23 hours ago

Again, I repeat: climate crisis automatically makes the current times worse.

Were it for me, 70s, 80s and 90s on a loop forever.

[-] Jinfox@lemmy.world 1 points 6 hours ago

Wait, vietnam, forcing nuclear tests on unwilling island population, the tatcher years. The LITTERAL HOLE in the ozone layer (hey, we fixed that one yay us, just for this one bit, the climate is still fucked). Not saying your feelings are invalid, but you are cherry picking what 70s, 80s and 90s means to you, it is not a full picture of how bad it was for bunch of people. yes, stuff were cheaper back then and some people could afford house, but misplaced nostalgia past some cultural artifact isn't really acknowledging the continuity of how shit human can be to each other for made up reasons.

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 1 points 4 hours ago

No. Fucking. Climate. Crisis. And. House. With. One. SALARY. Who. The. Fuck. Cares. About. Vietnam.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 2 points 23 hours ago

Sorry... worse than the prospect of getting lynched and not having basic civil rights?

That's quite the position of privilege you're coming from.

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 0 points 23 hours ago

Climate. Crisis. Is. A. Thing. And. Will. Not. Spare. Anyone.

You Americans should stop be so fixated on "muh race", because civil rights are not going to save you from 120F weather and not being able to buy a house.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world -1 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 23 hours ago)

Like I said, that's quite the position of privilege you're coming from.

What basic human rights have been denied to you? When has a whole town tried to murder you?

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 1 points 23 hours ago

Climate change.

Climate change.

Climate change.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world -1 points 23 hours ago

Repeating "climate change" doesn't answer my questions:

What basic human rights have been denied to you? When has a whole town tried to murder you?

Please disabuse me of my prediction that the answer to the first one is "none" and the second one is "never."

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 2 points 23 hours ago

Ok, I have been lucky enough to never have my rights denied, because I don't even live in America.

Maybe you people need to realize that many people don't miss people black people being hanged, but being able to run a house with one salary, not having crazy seasons, the Earth not hitting warmth records every year, a not corporatized world and not having youth with their brains fried by Tiktok.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world -1 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 23 hours ago)

And yet you are insistent that a black person in 1964 was better off than a black person in 2024, which is just demonstrably false. I demonstrated it already.

And not just America. Most of Africa was oppressed by white European colonists.

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 2 points 23 hours ago

No, I never said that. I said that the average Westerner had it better in, say, 1984/94 than 2024.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world -2 points 23 hours ago

Again- we were talking about the 1960s. The person you responded to made that clear. I made that clear. Everything I referenced was about the 1960s and you kept saying climate change makes today worse.

You are either being dishonest or not reading anyone's posts before you respond.

[-] CazzoneArrapante@lemm.ee 3 points 23 hours ago

You're right, sorry, forgot about the first comment of the chain. Still doesn't change my point.

[-] Serinus@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

"The perfect suburban american trad family" from the 60s

Had one working parent and stay at home moms. But they don't give a single fuck about that part of it, do they?

[-] Alwaysnownevernotme@lemmy.world 3 points 19 hours ago* (last edited 19 hours ago)

They don't talk about the 90% top tax rate either.

[-] Serinus@lemmy.world 1 points 19 hours ago

"Nobody paid that. They just reinvested in their company [and their employees and reputation] instead."

No shit. Sounds great. Let's do that.

[-] Alwaysnownevernotme@lemmy.world 1 points 19 hours ago

The world is honestly too far into the crumbles for it to work like that anymore, they would just use circuitous accounting to funnel it into bunkers, militarized yachts, private armies, and extra planetary fever dreams.

[-] Serinus@lemmy.world 1 points 18 hours ago

Can't just give up though. It's one step towards making things better.

We don't have to solve it all at once.

[-] Alwaysnownevernotme@lemmy.world 1 points 18 hours ago

Oh I don't propose surrender friend.

A flat unmitigated tax rate on the rich.

Or a flat unmitigated axe rate on the rich.

[-] SGforce@lemmy.ca 10 points 1 day ago

In liberal democracy, the status quo is liberalism. Conservatism was to conserve the monarchy and aristocracy.

There is a difference between historical conservatism and what it has become. Even setting that aside, there is much daylight between what a movement will profess and what it will ultimately produce.

[-] grue@lemmy.world 7 points 1 day ago

No, there really isn't. True conservatism is an unbroken line from royalists, to confederates, to nazis, to Trump.

It's the allegedly small government, pro-freedom "conservatives" -- i.e. self-deluded liberals who mislabeled themselves -- who were the aberration.

What's the most confrontational way to respond to someone who agrees with you?

I think you dropped your writing prompt

this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2024
1166 points (98.2% liked)

Political Memes

5276 readers
3268 users here now

Welcome to politcal memes!

These are our rules:

Be civilJokes are okay, but don’t intentionally harass or disturb any member of our community. Sexism, racism and bigotry are not allowed. Good faith argumentation only. No posts discouraging people to vote or shaming people for voting.

No misinformationDon’t post any intentional misinformation. When asked by mods, provide sources for any claims you make.

Posts should be memesRandom pictures do not qualify as memes. Relevance to politics is required.

No bots, spam or self-promotionFollow instance rules, ask for your bot to be allowed on this community.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS