submitted 6 days ago by EABOD25@lemm.ee to c/world@lemmy.world
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] floofloof@lemmy.ca 74 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)

Right-wingers reach for these religious or moralistic justifications and laws, but Putin is probably just noticing, like many other countries, that their economy is screwed if their birth rates continue to decline. And yet the planet is screwed if we continue to increase. As climate change eats away at the habitable areas of the planet, the obvious thing is for habitable countries with declining birth rates to accept many immigrants from places climate causes people to flee from. This will help those people and help the receiving country's economy. Unfortunately the right wing is also too wrapped up in xenophobia to accept this solution. They'd rather double down on controlling women.

[-] dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net 52 points 6 days ago

I recently heard a “housing expert” say that cities have to keep growing, there’s no sustainable static level of population, and I thought “there’s better be or we’re all fucked.”

The problem with capitalism is that it only works if there’s perpetual growth, which (as many before me have pointed out) is the logic of cancer.

[-] sensiblepuffin@lemmy.world 2 points 6 days ago

Tbf, people moving from rural areas to more dense and urban areas is kind of inevitable as time goes on. Megacities when?

[-] dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net 10 points 5 days ago

And why is that “inevitable?” Is it because capitalism makes agrarian life basically impossible?

The problem with studies based on any current trends is that they are all framed with the assumption that capitalism will continue to be the dominant socioeconomic system.

[-] sensiblepuffin@lemmy.world 3 points 5 days ago

Currently the earth is overpopulated and many parts of the world are only just starting to slow their population growth. The problem of crowding is going to be here for awhile. Eventually it would be great if we could reduce our population to the point where there's plenty of space for all, if that sounds utopian to you, but for the time being we're going to have to live in denser areas if we want to deliver amenities and services to all (and we do).

[-] aniki@discuss.tchncs.de 1 points 5 days ago
[-] sensiblepuffin@lemmy.world 3 points 5 days ago
[-] aniki@discuss.tchncs.de 0 points 5 days ago
[-] sensiblepuffin@lemmy.world 2 points 5 days ago

Dense and (I guess I should have said or) urban areas. If these people are moving to the outskirts of metro areas, they're creating a dense, if not urban, community.

[-] MehBlah@lemmy.world 2 points 5 days ago

You are wasting you time with this person. They have already decided and nothing you post will be good enough. Anyone can see the population is way too high and further growth is dangerous for us all. Anyone who can't see it doesn't want too.

[-] sensiblepuffin@lemmy.world 2 points 4 days ago

Hey, everyone deserves two or three back and forths before I write them off as not really wanting to have a debate on a thing

[-] MehBlah@lemmy.world 6 points 5 days ago

Economies are only screwed with declining birthrate if the goal is unlimited growth. What will happen if the trend continues is stability. Stability is bad for empire building types. It leaves less room for manipulation.

[-] floofloof@lemmy.ca 2 points 5 days ago

In any country with public healthcare, there is a problem with how to afford to care for the elderly when the population contains more elderly people needing expensive healthcare than working people paying the taxes that fund it. This seems like a problem that extends beyond capitalism's growth-seeking. It's an issue of how to achieve stability.

[-] MehBlah@lemmy.world 3 points 5 days ago

That is the hole you dig with the myth of unlimited growth. No doubt the correction will be somewhat uncomfortable.

[-] Valmond@lemmy.world 11 points 6 days ago* (last edited 6 days ago)

Let's send young men to die in Ukraine then I guess, IDK...

this post was submitted on 29 Sep 2024
420 points (98.2% liked)

World News

38731 readers
3390 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world

Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS