you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] helenslunch@feddit.nl 16 points 1 day ago

Yes, except it's encrypted and funded by an actual business.

[-] MoonRaven@feddit.nl 6 points 1 day ago

If my instance of immich no longer works, I still have my files.

If an encrypted database of blobs crashes, I hope I can recover it.

When I'm self hosting, I know my preference.

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 2 points 20 hours ago

Encryption in self hosted when you're hosting only your personal data isn't really a positive feature

For the case of ente, having all the photos in encrypted blobs in a minio container, means you have to export the content every night using their cli tool, verify it, repeat for every family member, then backup the result

[-] helenslunch@feddit.nl 1 points 20 hours ago

I wasn't trying to make an argument either way. Just stating facts...

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 1 points 20 hours ago

Me too, just saying that encryption isn't always a pro

[-] Hawk@lemmy.dbzer0.com 17 points 1 day ago

funded by an actual business.

You're talking like that's a good thing?

[-] helenslunch@feddit.nl 27 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Pros and cons, for sure. Companies like Proton (Mail) and Steam are proof that you can have your cake and eat it too. It's mostly publicly-funded corporations that are rotten. You can also rest assured that they will not abandon the project because they get bored.

Ente also provides Ente Auth for free, which is an excellent TOTP authenticator.

[-] Noxious@fedia.io 5 points 1 day ago

Immich is funded by FUTO btw

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
241 points (98.0% liked)

Selfhosted

39350 readers
391 users here now

A place to share alternatives to popular online services that can be self-hosted without giving up privacy or locking you into a service you don't control.

Rules:

1. Be civil: we're here to support and learn from one another. Insults won't be tolerated. Flame wars are frowned upon.

2. No spam posting.

3. Posts have to be centered around self-hosting. There are other communities for discussing hardware or home computing. If it's not obvious why your post topic revolves around selfhosting, please include details to make it clear.

4. Don't duplicate the full text of your blog or github here. Just post the link for folks to click.

5. Submission headline should match the article title (don’t cherry-pick information from the title to fit your agenda).

6. No trolling.

Resources:

Any issues on the community? Report it using the report flag.

Questions? DM the mods!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS