[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 1 points 1 hour ago

I'm shocked to learn that they are licensing the tech to competitors instead of holding everything in the walled garden

Alternative link where I'm told the story is written better, but unfortunately has a signup wall and I'm not willing to sign up https://www.404media.co/paralyzed-jockey-loses-ability-to-walk-after-manufacturer-refuses-to-fix-battery-for-his-100-000-exoskeleton/

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 6 points 6 hours ago

Wasn't that obvious? It would be crazy to keep them for other 4 years

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 1 points 8 hours ago

When on my personal install the music app was broken after an update for months, I didn't complain at all. Because I went to see who was the maintainer: owncloud. Not their fault. In this case was my fault. Definitely my fault and without sarcasm. A third party plugin is expected to have problems after updates. Completely understandable. They're even competitors.

First party plugins instead, MUST work at all times versus the latest stable release. It's the reason I didn't check compatibility.

This is the concept I want to say. It's not hard. I'm not saying "the update process must be idiot proof". When shit like this happens, it completely erodes trust in users. It's not stable, it's beta. It's a tiny detail. It's just a number on the manifest. What does it cost to update that number to 30 for the forms app? (The "incompatible" version runs perfectly fine when the check is overridden)

But no, let's defend this behavior of moving fast and breaking things for no reason, like that issue thread on GitHub where users are rightfully pissed that the Windows nextcloud desktop client reboots without confirmation and fanboys are dismissing it "eh the cloud indicators in explorer.exe are so important, must reboot at all times, what's the problem"

Do you agree that first party stuff must work? (unless it's discontinued)

Would you expect Microsoft Office 365 being disabled after upgrading to Microsoft Windows 11?

And finally, how I persuaded the it department. Here I make a list of all the members:

We were just searching a way to host a worthless survey that nobody is watching instead of paying $350 to Surveymonkey. We drank the marketing cool aid and assumed that something heavily promoted just 6 months ago would be supported. But this is unreasonable.

Solution 1: waste a week doing your suggested way of multiple installs and custom unit tests and every quarter check carefully everything because nextcloud "stable" is as stable as a house of cards.

Solution 2: delete nextcloud and write a form in PHP+HTML in an afternoon, don't have the same problem with nextcloud 31 next quarter.

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 0 points 18 hours ago

Ok i get it, it's best practice to do rushed releases without QA because users are the free testers.

They definitely had no way to know that their own app was incompatible, this is definitely a problem of the stupid user. Idiot user who believed their newsletter "update now, hub 9 is the best thing ever". The user should have known that stable = untested beta

Also, this issue happened exclusively to me in the whole world, because everyone else isn't an idiot like me and checks 30+ release notes scattered in 30 different repositories to guess any incompatibility. I was lazy and only checked the main notes! Such an idiot! Why I didn't check every single installed app? It's just 30! Nextcloud devs couldn't have known that nextcloud devs didn't update the manifest of the forms app! I should have checked before! Completely my fault!

Now if you excuse me I got an update to the Windows nextcloud desktop app and it must reboot after update because reasons even if there's a GitHub issue with 200 angry comments about that. No wait! Stupid me! First I have to fire a VM and use a whole week to write automated tests that account for every possible combination of settings, language, power management, installed apps and so on. Otherwise I could lose a worthless survey that nobody reads and that will definitely get me fired!

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it -3 points 1 day ago

go to watch who is the maintainer of nextcloud forms, then see if they could have known that NC 30 was about to go out or not

It's definitely not unreasonable that if I make product X and I make product Y, and they're not compatible, then a bit of warning is suggested.

Again, wordpress updates break plugins all the time, but automattic plugins (same people of wordpress) never break. Coincidence? They just launch a new wordpress without checking if woocommerce or jetpack don't work?

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it -3 points 1 day ago

I don't know if maybe it's my bad english in explaining it or it's your comprehension skills that lack something.

I write it again for the 10th time: I'm 100% ok having 1-2 weeks of downtime, and this is why i do it live. It simply doesn't make sense to dedicate several hours every month on testing if all i need is getting 3 useless surveys filled per year. If it was essential for work and i needed 99.99999% uptime i would directly subscribe typeform or surveymonkey. If tomorrow my install completely bricks and disappears in thin air, i would have lost 30 minutes of time and no valuable data. I literally spent more time designing the logo for the instance than managing it. This is just to state how unimportant the data stored on it.

This post wasn't made about "oh no i lost millions and all my irreplaceable data thanks to nextcloud stupid updates" but how stupid is to release something that breaks features that they're using as selling point.

ok, now that we established that my IT skills are lacking and i should be fired because one single survey couldn't be filled, this is the release notes: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/release_notes/upgrade_to_30.html

Please tell me where they say that this feature is automatically disabled and also tell me why you think that this is acceptable.

I don't understand why you think that is acceptable.

I even can't find other examples where a release is so rushed, that selling points are disabled without ETA. I never saw for Libreoffice 24 dropping support for opendocument files for a couple months just because they had to meet a self imposed deadline

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 8 points 1 day ago

Now show the atrocities made by the JDF and decide if this is a terrorist organization or not

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 8 points 2 days ago

it's better than i expected, I assumed it was a sweatshop situation reading comments from smaller authors like the one of "emmy the robot" that had to stop because they didn't share the ad revenue anymore

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 16 points 2 days ago

I'd be shocked if it was a percentage higher than 10%

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 26 points 2 days ago

Yes, not only for this. I have two in my reading list that have the ending permanently locked after completion, the change is recent

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 52 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Of course, the minimum package is 52 coins which isn't divisible by 3, 5 or 7 (pricing is variable according to the series)

[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 55 points 2 days ago

A note: I'm fine with paying, if it was known from the beginning. But bait&switch enrages me.

Intro: Webtoon is an app/website where (mostly Korean) comics are released in short episodes. Those episodes aren't released all at once but usually once a week, you have a free unlock a day and if you want you can have more by either watching an ad or by paying with coins, that are paid with real money. With the smallest purchase ($6), an episode can be unlocked with 3 coins (¢35) up to 7 (¢80). You can also skip the wait by paying with coins. I used it for years and I was ok by watching the ads at the end of each episode. It limited myself to one a day, otherwise I would scroll for hours. But, at the end of June 2024, they did the IPO, so that means ✨enshittification✨

So the guide on how to push away users to piracy:

1. Have a scary reminder at the beginning of every episode that says that piracy is illegal. (I can't screenshot that without a rooted phone, it's blocked). This helps the user to have a daily notification that yes, this content is also available somewhere else and you're not bound to artificial limits.

2. Put the last three episodes of a series started 3-4 years ago in perpetual paywall. No more "just wait one week to get the new episode". You want to see how that 200 episodes story that you're reading almost every day for 3 years ends? LOL pay $6 to buy a coins package!

3. Now that the user is pissed that they can't know how the story ends, they'll just search it on the illegal sites, since over the past years they had to skip through 200 reminders that yes, this story is also available over there.

And it failed spectacularly.

We only needed a simple form, but we wanted to be fancy, so we used "nextcloud forms".

The docker image automatically updated the install to nextcloud 30, but the forms app requires nextcloud 29 or lower. No warning whatsoever. It's an official app, couldn't they wait that it was ready for NC 30 before launching it? The newsletter boasts "NC hub 9 is the best thing after sliced bread" yet i don't see any difference both in visual or performance compared to NC hub 2

Conclusion: we made our business to rely on nextcloud forms as a signup form, but the only reason we were using it was disabled who knows how many weeks ago.

I was accidentally locked out of home again, and I had to call a professional to open the lock.

But if someone was home, they could have just turned the knob of the door from inside. There's a device that can do that? It needs to do 3 full turns and it requires a bit of force to do that (armored door with iron bars that slide in every direction, so it has a big inertia to start)

I saw a ready solution on a store, the iseo x1r, but that costs 1000 euro + another 200 for the gateway (not mandatory but otherwise it uses proprietary Bluetooth protocol and so it can't talk with HA

Many users bought Resident evil for iOS because it was working offline. Perfect for long trips. But a new update adds a mandatory DRM online check at start-up.

I wrote bought, but actually the word is rented. One day Capcom stops updating the games (and this is 100% guaranteed) and a few years later the "owner" gets "This app needs to be updated to run on this iPhone"

Meanwhile, people who pirated a cracked ipa, don't get any issue in playing the game offline. DRM exclusively hurts the paying customers.

submitted 3 weeks ago by Moonrise2473@feddit.it to c/android@lemdro.id

They made millions thanks to crypto bros buying the Solana phone (rebranded osom with custom ROM), claiming the free shit coins, then sending it to e-waste.

Unfortunately those millions weren't invested in new products but to fund the CEO lifestyle.

I love how the endgame was to trying getting acquired by HP for billions but that failed.

Everyone's (also humane ai pin) trying to get acquired by HP, the ultimate bagholder, expert in overvaluing failed startups

submitted 1 month ago by Moonrise2473@feddit.it to c/world@lemmy.world

The share is higher than you would expect because they include all apple devices in them because the apple soc is capable of running ai. Of course who's buying a MacBook it's not doing it because "it's an AI PC". Should have included all gaming PCs then...

The report says Lenovo ai PC shipments went up 228% last quarter. Uh... They put on sale their copilot+ devices on the last week of Q2, then of course at the end of Q3 you have such high percentage. They could have said "10000000000000000000000% yoy increase"

No, it's not phishing, it's legit, the header match with google and the link goes to https://accounts.google.com/AccountChooser/signinchooser?continue=https%3A%2F%2Fadmin.google.com%2Fac%2Fac%2Falert%2Fdetails%3FalertId%3D3...

Why not just write the message there instead of letting me login to watch the important notification?????????????????

Apparently xitter saw an access from Russia (even if it's blocked by the government) and had no problem in giving full access to change immediately the password, disable 2fa and start scamming followers.

It seems an easy attack to fix IMHO: if access from Russia (or a country from the other part of the world) on a business account that always tweet from the same place, then deny access even with valid stolen session cookies

Can you notice that it's a bit leaning to the right?

view more: next ›

Moonrise2473

joined 1 year ago