The German concern BMW AG has, for the first time, outpaced the American company Tesla in the sale of electric cars in the European Union.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] SkunkWorkz@lemmy.world 3 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

I don’t think Stelantis can really compete against the Koreans who have very generous warranty policies. Stelantis has acquired a very bad reputation in the last decade. Their puretech engines were suffering from degrading timing belts. They issued recalls but then clients were often still billed by Stelantis. This left a very sour taste in the mouths of many car owners. I know many people who will never buy a Stelantis car again

[-] Buffalox@lemmy.world 2 points 1 month ago

I must admit I've not been impressed by Stelantis lately either. But they have a pretty big footprint in the lower end of the market here in Europe. If they can up their EV cars battery and keep prices down, I have no doubt they will be very popular.

Regarding the timing belt, the puretech engine started in the Peugeot 208 I according to wikipedia, the Peugeot 208 is an extremely popular car here, and anecdotally I never heard about the timing belt problem.

Despite that I know Stelantis is generally not the best quality, but they look good, and are cheap, and you get a lot of features/car for the money with the cheaper European sub brands I mentioned.
But Hyundai/KIA is bigger than Stelantis on EV, but their pricing here in EU is a bit expensive now compared to the competition.

this post was submitted on 23 Aug 2024
425 points (99.3% liked)

World News

38719 readers
2716 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world

Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS