This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/AmItheAsshole by /u/lizziquin on 2023-07-29 15:40:48.

I (29f) got married last weekend to my husband (40m). When we did our planning we decided it would be a child free event. Of course there were some exceptions. The flower girls who are my nieces were coming as they were in the wedding.

My cousin Teresa asked to bring her 3 boys. I kindly told her no, that it was a child free wedding. If she couldn’t find a babysitter we understand and we would miss her at the wedding…but no kids. She was not happy she called my mom, my husband, my siblings, anyone who would listen and explained how it wasn’t fair that my nieces were there but her sons could not be. She also could not afford a babysitter and she should be able to bring them. I stood firm and each time it was brought up I said no.

Day of the wedding rolls around and cousin Teresa brings her 3 boys. I was furious. I didn’t want to ruin my husband and my day by starting something so I left it alone and enjoyed my wedding. The next day I asked her why she would do that and she said she couldn’t find a babysitter and the kids deserved to be there too. I was pissed. It was 3 extra people we hadn’t expected and I had told her over 10 times no.

She is now playing the victim and saying I hate kids. She is talking about me to family members saying her kids felt bullied by not getting invited. Her kids feel like I don’t like them. Which, is not true. The boys are great and very polite. They are 5,7 and 9 but I wanted no kids because I don’t want people running after them and focusing on them. My cousin is making a whole mess that me and my husband are done dealing with.

So, AITA? Do kids HAVE to be at weddings?

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] birdsarereal 1 points 1 year ago

your day, your terms. if your cousin wants to weaponize her children, that's on her.

this post was submitted on 29 Jul 2023
2 points (100.0% liked)

Am I the Asshole?

1177 readers
1 users here now

A catharsis for the frustrated moral philosopher in all of us, and a place to finally find out if you were wrong in an argument that's been...

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS