[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 12 points 3 days ago

Ah my bad, I forgot all you guys can see is ***************. Oh well.

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 3 points 5 days ago

Thanks for sharing! I have quite a collection, so I'll throw in my two cents too. I hope this helps someone!

cFIREsim

Along side FIRECalc (which you already shared), I consider cFIREsim to be one of the best FIRE calculators on the internet. Similar to FIRECalc, it does backtesting based on your current portfolio would perform throughout history. cFIREsim does a better job of allowing you to configure details about your portfolio, income, and expenses than FIRECalc. Frustrating, if you're not yet at retirement age, it doesn't allow you to model additional contributions to your portfolio.

FI Calc

Another backtesting calculator, but this one with a nice graphical interface. While very similar to FIRECalc and cFIREsim in it's function, it does a better job of highlighting the different scenarios based on start year. It also allows you to 'drill into' specific start years for a more indepth look into that particular simulation.

Rich, Broke or Dead?

@xyzzy@xyzzy@lemm.ee beat me to it, but a great little calc to test what is the probability that you'll either: -Run out of money before you die -Die before you run out of money -End up with more than your initial savings

The site summarizes:

This interactive post-retirement fire calculator and visualization looks at the question of whether your retirement savings can last long enough to support your retirement spending and combines it with average US life expectancy values to get a fuller picture of the likelihood of running out of money before you die.

It helps to answer the question: If I start out with $X dollars at the beginning of my retirement, will I run out of money before I die?

Financial Freedom Calculator

Not a traditional FIRE calculator, but instead it helps you visualize based on your current savings, your annual expenses, and a given withdrawal rate, how many days could you live off of your savings.

Freedom days refers to the number of days that your retirement savings could sustain you (without working) each year (indefinitely) at your current spending level. Once you reach 365 freedom days per year, you’ve got enough money saved up to never have to work again. While I don't use this one regularly, I find this one to be very motivating to check every now-and-then for encouragement.

ProjectionLab

This one seems like a very comprehensive option that allows you to fully model your financial situation, including backtesting with Monte Carlo simulations, analyzing cash flow, reviewing tax analytics, and is very visually appealing. The big problem is that while most of it's features are accessible for free users, some of the more advanced strategies are gatekept behind a paid recurring subscription and it offers no save/import/export functionality (for free users) so you have to go through a rather laborious process of inputting all your information each time. I wouldn't let that deter you from trying it at least once though to see if it meets your needs/is worth the subscription.

Open Social Security

I know there's a lot of debate around whether Social Security will continue to exist or not, or maybe pay out differently. For those of you who would like to calculate your benefit and try to optimize your Social Security benefit, Open Social Security is a GREAT tool. Unlike other some other tools, it also allows you to include your spouse's benefits in your planning to account for spousal benefits!

SSA.tools

Similar to the above but with a snazzier interface and the ability to copy-paste your benefit history directly into the calculator.

ERN: Safe Withdrawal Rate Series

Not actually a calculator, but I highly recommend reading EarlyRetirementNow's series on safe withdrawal rates. It's a (sometimes painstakingly) detailed analysis of the 4% withdrawal rule and other withdrawal strategies. How painstakingly? It has 61 parts. I can't say I understood 100% of it, but it's absolutely worth a read even if you're no where close to retirement.

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 7 points 1 week ago

I'd offer to be your friend, but how dare you use ${DISTRO1} when ${DISTRO2} is clearly the better choice!

Also, last week you asked a question that someone else on the internet previously asked. You monster!

submitted 3 weeks ago by Uncurious3512@lemmy.world to c/linux@lemmy.ml

Hi all! I'm trying to learn more about NixOS and wondering if anyone had an material they'd recommend that was Flake centric?

I'm planning to test drive NixOS on a secondary laptop as a learning opportunity- not planning on using it as a daily driver at this time, so I'm not too concerned about the learning curve; I realize it'll be a bumpy and steep road!

I did want to give a shout-out to @LunchEnjoyer@lemmy.world and everyone who replied in the NixOS beginner resources thread! Tons of good content shared there that I'm still working my way through.

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 3 points 3 weeks ago

When you do switch, I'd love to hear about your take on stock vs GrapheneOS, especially as it pertains to the camera and battery life!

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 25 points 4 weeks ago

This is my new favorite post. Thanks to everyone who participated!

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 6 points 1 month ago

Let's not forget, the gaming market is a lot larger today than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. That's a lot more $60 games bring sold today than back in the 90s.

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 12 points 1 month ago

At press time, the nation had reportedly blocked the confusing website and navigated back to Forbes.com, where it felt safe.

Lol, zing!

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 52 points 1 month ago

Sure that sounds nice, but where are you going to find a car small enough to fit in a man's pocket?

!dadjokes@lemmy.world, unite!

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 6 points 1 month ago

I liked the prompt and was curious how ChatGPT would finish the rest of the essay. Hopefully this puts a smile on your face too!

Bohemian Rhapsody. We Will Rock You. Somebody To Love. All hit singles and all the direct product of a band that was formed when an astrophysicist and a dentistry major found a new friend in an art college, who then went on to recruit a fourth member from the electronics school. Based on this alliance, I propose the rift in society between Arts and STEM students was fabricated to keep us separated as to dilute our true power - and fabricated by who, you may ask? The business major, the only member of society who reaps no reward from art and science and thus must weaken us so as to stay ahead. In this essay...

I will explore the epic hoax that divides Arts and STEM, show how their union can lead to world domination (or at least cooler inventions), and reveal how business majors are the puppet masters behind this conspiracy.

Let’s start with the historical buddy comedy of Arts and STEM. Think Leonardo da Vinci, the Renaissance's MVP, who mixed art and engineering like a mad scientist with a paintbrush. Fast forward to Queen, where a physics nerd, a future dentist, an art school dropout, and an electronics whiz banded together to create timeless rock anthems. Clearly, when Arts and STEM join forces, magic happens. Yet, society insists on keeping these powerhouses apart, like a superhero team-up that never was.

Why the division? Enter the business major, lurking in the shadows, clutching spreadsheets and profit margins. By keeping Arts and STEM separated, they maintain control, ensuring no wild cross-disciplinary collaborations disrupt their orderly world of ROI and quarterly earnings. Imagine the chaos if engineers started sculpting or artists began programming—innovation would skyrocket, and the business folks would have to rethink their strategies.

Education systems are also in on the joke, pigeonholing students into either Arts or STEM, ensuring they never realize their full potential. An engineer with a knack for painting might just design the next architectural marvel, while a scientist with a love for storytelling could communicate complex ideas in ways that resonate with everyone. But no, we can’t have that, can we?

In the end, breaking down the barriers between Arts and STEM isn't just a nice idea; it’s a necessity. It’s time we expose the business majors’ plot, unite our creative and scientific minds, and start an interdisciplinary revolution. Let’s face it, the future belongs to those who can code an algorithm and appreciate a good sonnet. So, let’s drop the charade and get to work—there’s a world to change, and it’s going to be a lot more fun if we do it together.

[-] Uncurious3512@lemmy.world 22 points 3 months ago

I definitely didn't just try to look up Castle Spider on Wikipedia.

view more: next ›

Uncurious3512

joined 4 months ago