[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 15 points 1 week ago

Game mechanics can be patented. It's stupid, but things such as "loading screen mini games" and "overhead arrows pointing to your objective" have been patented. The second I believe even got enforced once.

I think these kind of things have been getting approved less and less, but I wouldn't be surprised if "balls that contain monsters" was patented back in the early days too.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 85 points 2 weeks ago

I get that they wanted in on the Pokémon Go and Genshin Impact money printers, but anyone could have seen how much damage to their reputation it was going to cause.

Too little too late. Personally I've moved to Godot and am loving it. Have I mentioned that they have stellar documentation yet?

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 13 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

It's been over £10 everywhere I've been for many years. Just can't justify it anymore, especially when they skimp out on the chips ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 15 points 1 month ago

Increased tuition fees? I guess 50k in debt isn't enough punishment for a decision 18 year olds are pressured to make.

Are European universities struggling as much? Because my (same age) co-workers say they only had a few thousand in debt for their entire courses, so there must be another way of doing things.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 13 points 1 month ago

Nope! Just jump right into 2's single player mode and enjoy the ride.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 16 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

Obviously he doesn't spend enough time causing issues for his own companies and country, that he has to try and stir shit across the pond to cure his boredom.

How about doing something good with that spare time for once?

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 66 points 2 months ago

As a casual who didn't start playing shooter games until late, if it wasn't for SBMM I wouldn't be playing them at all.

The real evil is engagement based matchmaking. I don't want to beat players even newer than me every time I haven't won in 20 games, and I certainly don't want to be steamrolled by players who have been playing their whole lives when the same happens to them.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 19 points 2 months ago

Ah yes, Europe never had to deal with such far right-wingers. We'd like borrow the term you guys came up with to describe them in case we ever face such violent fascists. What was it again?

Oh right, Nazis.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 48 points 2 months ago* (last edited 2 months ago)

I'm in an identical situation as you (also from the UK funnily enough), except I did keep in contact with her, albeit at arm's length at first. She's explained to me over the years that it was internalised hatred, made worse by her family's very outspoken views about anyone not straight and white.

When she finally had a chance to get away and start thinking things through herself, she began to accept herself and others. She's a lovely person to be around now, and pretty vocal in trying to help other people learn about and understand trans healthcare and mental support. But most importantly, she's happy.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 11 points 3 months ago

There has been several game "mechanics" that have been patented in the past. Two examples I know off the top of my head are "overhead arrows that point in the direction of the destination" and "minigames during loading screens".

That said, these were applied for specifically as patents in the US, and every other game made does not go through this process (especially since I doubt that this would worm in this day and age... I hope, wtf is going on across the pond) especially for entire game concepts, and OP is definitely in the clear.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 13 points 4 months ago

It was such an interesting talk, and just made their closure hit even harder.

[-] Charzard4261@programming.dev 13 points 5 months ago

The content he gave us a teaser of looks amazing. I'm really happy to see him back, and most importantly to see him happy.

view more: next ›

Charzard4261

joined 5 months ago