[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 9 points 7 months ago

I started in defense, but I would now after 15+ years not do any work in defense or gambling or trading. It was a good experience for me though, taught me a lot, but I wouldn't do it again now.

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 11 points 7 months ago

I got to say, this is only true if interaction is actually better in person. For me I'm not sure that is the case. I also do not participate in all social calls that my company set up, but I am always available for 1v1 video calls with my colleagues.

I was at the office 3 times last year and that is plenty enough for me and my team.

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 9 points 7 months ago

But it is a good example of inconvenience. One day they decided well, we're closing shop. And that made it pretty clear for users that they didn't own the music.

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 7 points 8 months ago

This assumes that I could implement something as well as the maintainers of the library I use. I agree that something trivially should be implemented on your own, but if there is special knowledge required (the obvious example is cryptography, but also something like HTTP requests) I rather rely on a widely used library than my own code that I now have to maintain and check for security issues instead of just updating the dependency version whenever a CVE is published.

Also if there is. A client by an API provider for my language, why shouldn't I use it instead of rolling my own?

Another example is a framework like React or Angular or Svelte, which brings along a whole lot of dependencies. Sure, I could not use something like that and write everything from scratch.

But where is the value of all that code to customers? If I want to roll my own HTTP server up from the sockets, I can do that as a play project. But not using libraries for a real world project to solve business needs is a bit of an odd take.

Anyways, that's enough of a rant. Have fun in the replies. 😎

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 82 points 10 months ago

Soooo when did Arch become a gaming focused OS?

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 26 points 10 months ago

If you just want a remote to push your code to without issues, projects, pull requests and such you can use git only: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-the-Server-Setting-Up-the-Server

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 7 points 11 months ago

This will be the first day in years I will try to make gaming work on Linux once again.

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 8 points 11 months ago

Cool, I really need to take some pictures now. Most of the planets I visited look like barren wasteland though... maybe I can find some interesting sunrises at least.

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 27 points 1 year ago

That's why your color your production windows red.

[-] Carol2852@discuss.tchncs.de 32 points 1 year ago

But why would you as a user stay on that instance?

If you start seeing ads and you don't want to, you move to another instance. If all instances start to serve ads and you don't want to see ads, you have to start your own instance.

view more: next ›

Carol2852

joined 1 year ago