top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] ComptitiveSubset@lemmy.world 156 points 1 year ago

This is great news. Algorithm optimized social networks are poison to society.

[-] glacier@lemmy.blahaj.zone 84 points 1 year ago

If algorithms are are not the default option and are not designed to generate profit for platforms and advertisers, then perhaps they could be a healthy way to discover new content

[-] 10EXP@sh.itjust.works 36 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Also Need to allow some level of user customisability.

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (5 replies)
[-] tja@sh.itjust.works 18 points 1 year ago

Every social network uses algorithms to show you content. Even mastodon

[-] nous@programming.dev 27 points 1 year ago

The Algorithm is such a nebulous term. All programs are algorithms, all it means is a set of unambitious instructions. I don't think half the people that use it even really know what they mean by it except whatever big tech are doing.

I am kinda sad that the word has now been tainted this way and wish there was another word for a content recommender that's only goal it to keep users on the platform for as long as possible so as much money as possible can be made from them.

[-] ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de 9 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

At that point, you could say that almost all technology does. Even a 1950's elevator with relay logic runs a (literally hard-wired) algorithm.

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] turkalino@lemmy.yachts 12 points 1 year ago

I mean I know this is painfully pedantic but even simply sorting by new is algorithmic

[-] amki@feddit.de 16 points 1 year ago

The implied difference is if someone or even you know how the algorithm works, which for "new" is relatively straightforward.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de 8 points 1 year ago

So is anything a programmable computer does.

[-] rockSlayer@lemmy.world 101 points 1 year ago

This is an amazing sign. Governments joining a particular social media is an underrated sign of platform success. People want to reach and hear from their government officials. I don't think it will be long before this will no longer be big news

[-] SubArcticTundra@lemmy.ml 28 points 1 year ago

Hopefully it spreads throughout the German government

[-] duviobaz@lemmy.world 33 points 1 year ago

The German state already has its own instance (social.bund.de). Our federal commissioner for data protection and freedom of information already recommended our chancellor to switch to Mastodon, but he declines every time and his office insists on putting screenshots of his tweets on their website.

[-] BuddyTheBeefalo@lemmy.ml 92 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Five German State Parliaments are on Mastodon:

@ltrlp@social.bund.de

@LT_Nds@social.bund.de

@thueringerlandtag@social.bund.de

@BayerischerLandtag@social.bund.de

@HessischerLandtag@social.bund.de

[-] Fedibert@artemis.camp 33 points 1 year ago

Six:
Baden-Würtemberg
So, 37.5% of all states. Still wondering why it takes so long for the other ones to move or at least open an account on mastodon.

There are also some accounts for state governments, but it seems only three so far:

Baden-Würtemberg
Schleswig-Holstein
Hessen

[-] anlumo@feddit.de 37 points 1 year ago

The others are probably still busy installing the fax-to-toot gateways.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Redjard@lemmy.dbzer0.com 62 points 1 year ago

How does one write an article about it and then not even mention the instance nor link to their profile?

@ltrlp@social.bund.de

This has likely happened because the german government created the social.bund.de instance earlier this year, paving the way for various government things in germany to simply request an account and be set up.

[-] SubArcticTundra@lemmy.ml 13 points 1 year ago

This is great to see. Honestly I think software that governments invest into should be exclusively open source. It is paid for by the public's money after all, so it should be offered back to the public.

[-] Disgusted_Tadpole@lemmy.ml 34 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Hey, I just started using Mastodon and my experience for now is a bit mixed. I must be doing something wrong.

I don’t follow people yet but only subjects (#). Thing is, my feed isn’t really interesting. I come across german, asian, spanish posts (I’m looking for french and english content) and the vast majority of them isn’t "retweeted" (boosted ?) or even "liked". Most aren’t interesting to be quite honest and I don’t like browsing my feed. Would love to know what do I do wrong !

[-] bitcrafter@lemmy.sdf.org 26 points 1 year ago

Unlike Twitter, hashtags don't perform a global search, they only perform a local search on the content that people have pulled into your instance via subscriptions; this is a downside of it's federated nature. So what you are finding out is essentially that people on your instance don't share your interests.

If you want to improve your feed, you should look for instances where people who are interested in the same kinds of things as you congregate, and subscribe to the people there who interest you. If you find an instance whose community really clicks with you, you might consider switching to it, and then the hashtags will work better for you.

In general, it helps to model the fediverse as being not one community but a big community made up of a bunch of smaller communities that all talk to each other, so it's more like a Twitter alternative than a Twitter replacement (even though it is sometimes sold as the later rather than the former). Personally, I find Mastodon to be infinitely better than Twitter, but that's just because I personally never used Twitter due to lack of interest so I don't have a basis for comparison. :-)

[-] RagingRobot@lemmy.world 9 points 1 year ago

Is there no way to search hash tags across all instances at all? It seems like someone should figure that out. The ui has that connotation given how search works historically on other sites.

[-] figaro@lemdro.id 16 points 1 year ago

You have to build your own algorithm. I follow a lot of artists who have moved over. You can also search the handle of a lot of larger Twitter channels - there's a bot that pulls content over from them in some cases.

[-] moormaan@lemmy.ca 12 points 1 year ago

It takes time. Twitter (or whatever it wants to be called) has an algorithm expressly aimed at keeping you "engaged", whereas Mastodon is just a stream of toots which you see based on the time you decide to visit. Should you stick with it, eventually two things will happen:

1. You will find accounts and topic to follow which will fill your timeline with content that is relevant and interesting to you, and, perhaps more importantly
  2. Your mind will give up the habit of being hooked on a social media stream (apologies if I'm implying something that isn't true for you - it certainly was for me).

In the end, maybe you decide it's not for you, but I've been using it for years (since 2017), and over time it's completely replaced Twitter for me. I'm keeping three accounts for different interests (and one on Pixelfed), logged into all of them using Fedilab. I actually deleted my Twitter account the day the Tucker/Tate interview hit the light of day, but I stopped actively visiting it years earlier. My mental state improved a lot over time since I moved on.

[-] CrypticFawn@lemmy.dbzer0.com 7 points 1 year ago

I don’t follow people yet but only subjects (#).

There's your problem. Find interesting people to follow in the # you are already following.

Also, Mastodon is fairly popular among countries where English isn't the most common language. Not sure why tbh.

load more comments (24 replies)
[-] gonzoknowsdotcom1@monero.town 31 points 1 year ago

you can't even view tweets on Twitter/x without being logged in now

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] jugalator@lemmy.world 26 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

The EU itself also has a Mastodon instance with the funny, overly clear name of https://social.network.europa.eu/

But only the institutions of EU, not for EU residents.

I like this idea because it becomes very easy to verify authenticity especially now that verification badges on X is just subscription badges without verification. You simply set up a subdomain of the form social.country.tld (much like the German parliament did) and you'll know forename.surname@social.country.tld is an authentic representative for a political party or whatever. No money involved other than running the instance, which will be a tiny cost for something as niche as one offering a voice for the parliament alone.

So I hope this takes off even more around the world. It is certainly a more democratic way to do social than paying some dude in America that runs his personal garden to have badges.

[-] ARg94@lemmy.packitsolutions.net 24 points 1 year ago

Cool! Now dozens of people will get their posts!

[-] johnnyjayjay@feddit.de 101 points 1 year ago

The more important thing: anyone can see their posts now. This is rather crucial for a government institution's feed and not true on Twitter anymore.

[-] muelltonne@feddit.de 58 points 1 year ago

This - Twitter is currently not usable without an account. You can't see any posts and there's no way to ensure that your followers will see your posts. Therefore it's really useless as a communication channel for government information.

[-] Player2@sopuli.xyz 40 points 1 year ago

A dozen today, 13 tomorrow, eventually more people will know about it and join. You don't have to go that far back for governments having any social media presence at all being a very weird thing.

[-] BuddyTheBeefalo@lemmy.ml 21 points 1 year ago

They already have 1.6k followers.

[-] volodymyr@lemmy.world 13 points 1 year ago

As of now, accounts of their instance have thousands of followers.

[-] Mereo@lemmy.ca 21 points 1 year ago

That's really good news. I hope all governments will do the same. Right now, I only use Twitter to receive notifications from government agencies.

[-] boerbiet@feddit.nl 8 points 1 year ago

The Dutch government also launched their own mastodon instance recently at social.overheid.nl. Several government departments have already joined. I hope politicians will also make the move, although I do not know if this specific instance allows for accounts other than those of government departments.

When you make public announcements as a politician or political party, it should be done via a channel that can be accessed without registration!

[-] Napain@lemmy.ml 15 points 1 year ago
[-] cpressland@devops.pizza 14 points 1 year ago

In my terrible attempt and translating to German… “einer von uns, einer von uns, einer von uns”!

[-] SpeziSuchtel@feddit.de 11 points 1 year ago

Thats translation is actually perfectly fine

[-] CoolSouthpaw@lemmy.world 14 points 1 year ago

Good, fuck Twitter, that fucking piece of shit platform. Fuck Elon Musk too.

And no, I'm not calling it X, or whatever bullshit name they come up with next.

[-] fne8w2ah@lemmy.world 12 points 1 year ago

Obligatory fuck Phoney Stark.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 26 Aug 2023
1932 points (98.7% liked)

Technology

58269 readers
5758 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS