Hi!

Many mechanical keyboards are only available in ANSI layout. I've held off buying a keyboard because of this.

How have people here found moving from ISO to ANSI? Does it take long to say goodbye to the backwards-L return key etc.?

top 2 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Tatters@feddit.uk 1 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I had the exact same question a couple of years ago. I was a very long time UK ISO user, and then some of the keycaps on my keyboard broke. When looking at a replacement I fancied a mechanical DIY, so I bought a Glorious Gaming GMMK TKL, still UK ISO. But the selection of keycaps was small, even with UK sellers, e.g., on Etsy. So, I got an ANSI version of the same GMMK keyboard, and some nice blue & white keycaps from an Etsy UK based seller.

It took me a few weeks to get used to the layout. The Enter key is not a problem, it is things like @ and # not being where your muscle memory expects them. Also, the lack of a £ key. Because, being ANSI, you need to use the US keyboard layout in Windows, which does not have £ or €. Eventually I used the Microsoft keyboard layout generator to create a custom layout, with £ mapped to function 3. I think I mapped € too.

I can share my keyboard layout file if anyone wants it.

[-] indun@feddit.uk 1 points 1 year ago

I move back and forth between the standards. My laptop and 75% mechanical are ANSI, my work laptop and Bluetooth keyboard are ISO.

You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to switching between them.

this post was submitted on 01 Aug 2023
1 points (100.0% liked)

Mechanical Keyboards UK

149 readers
1 users here now

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS