submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by LargoKnight@lemmy.world to c/bean@lemmy.world

It would be nice if, for example, on iOS devices in settings such as Mona for mastodon, we could choose if we want to translate through Google translator or, for example, Apple's own translator, leaving a window that directly translates things for you instead of opening a window to your browser redirecting to Google translator.

An example:

top 4 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] beta_tester@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 year ago

On android you can simply long click, then select translate and a popup opens with the translation (depending on the translator app ofc)

[-] SulaymanF@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

I’m assuming Google needs to provide an API for that for iOS.

[-] Pea666@feddit.nl 2 points 1 year ago

Not if you use the native translation in iOS. Google has nothing to do with that.

[-] SulaymanF@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

Google provides APIs for developers who don’t want to use native iOS features; for example a developer can use Google maps API over the Apple Maps API. They have the ability to provide a Google translate API for iOS but don’t.

this post was submitted on 24 Aug 2023
13 points (100.0% liked)

Bean

976 readers
2 users here now

Bean is a Lemmy client for iOS.

Download

Bean is available on the App Store here.

Bug Reports

Please report all bugs with the [Bug] flair in your title.

Feature Requests

I'm currently open to feature requests. Please use the [Feature Request] flair in the title of your post so I can keep track of them.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS