3 not to skimp on (lemmy.world)

I always heard not to skimp on 'Tires, Shoes and mattresses'

top 7 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] DeepChill@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 year ago

Never cheap out on the things that separate you from the ground. That’s especially true for tires and mattresses since you likely don’t have multiples of each at any given time. Buy the best you can afford.

[-] BrightFadedDog@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 year ago

Parachutes should probably be included here. They don't completely separate you from the ground, but definitely slow how quickly you become reaquainted. Never cheap out on parachutes.

[-] yenahmik@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

On the flip side, not jumping out of planes is probably the more frugal option

[-] BrightFadedDog@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 year ago

I don't know about that, surely cutting out skydiving is moving into cheap territory, not frugal. I mean, cutting your kitchen sponge in half, saving up soap slivers and sewing clothes for your children from discarded chip packets are the sort of things worth doing, but you can't destroy everything that makes life worth living. It's really important to me for my mental health that I can jump out of planes whenever I feel the need, and when I do I want the best parachute money can buy.

[-] Transcendant@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

I've always said that two things you shouldn't skimp on are toilet paper and condoms.

[-] hillsanddales@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 year ago

I skimo on TP by using a bidet. Doesn't hurt to buy the good stuff when you use so little.

[-] Transcendant@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Bidets are life, it's one of the things I miss badly whenever I come back home from Finland.

this post was submitted on 12 Jun 2023
1 points (100.0% liked)

Frugal

5031 readers
1 users here now

Discuss how to save money.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS