top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] AutomatedPossum@hexbear.net 98 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

BTW these things also scan the genital area. If an unoperated trans woman passes through, it flags her for having a hidden weapon in her crotch. This has been a source of forced outings, public humiliation and in some cases outright sexual harassment by flight security staff ever since these machines where introduced at airports, i find the idea that somebody could be forced to endure that before every subway ride absolutely nightmarish.

[-] Hurvitz@hexbear.net 51 points 6 months ago

Yeah I was gonna make the trashfuture joke about it being a t-slur detector but honestly its not even funny, this is horrible

[-] AutomatedPossum@hexbear.net 48 points 6 months ago

btw a common way to confirm the victim's claim that the alarm was set off by girldick and not by a firearm is to do a patdown in the crotch area, with the gender of the person doing the patdown depending on the airport's levels of transphobia.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] ClimateChangeAnxiety@hexbear.net 32 points 6 months ago

Aren’t these the ones that also instantly destroy insulin pumps?

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] Ho_Chi_Chungus@hexbear.net 92 points 6 months ago

i don't even have words for this one. this is completely deranged even by US standards. they're going to make you go through the TSA experience every single day. it won't do anything to stop crime or terrorism or anything that it says on its face. they're going to do this, it's going to stay, and the only people who are for it are people who don't use the subway

god damn america

[-] SorosFootSoldier@hexbear.net 63 points 6 months ago

Every day I get blasted by x-rays.

Have very little money.

[-] Acute_Engles@hexbear.net 27 points 6 months ago

Where do i buy this exact bag

[-] Hurvitz@hexbear.net 23 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355562896577

or redbubble or one of those sites that just algorithmically generates custom merchandise that it can dropship

[-] nothx@hexbear.net 31 points 6 months ago

Twice a day at least… Fucking miserable timeline.

[-] Futterbinger@hexbear.net 65 points 6 months ago

This has got to be a set up for some kind of rent seeking behavior right? They'll definitely create some kind of fast pass that costs $100 dollars a month that you'll need to pass a background check, have a social security number, and a permanent address to obtain.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] Rojo27@hexbear.net 65 points 6 months ago

Uh... wtfcringe

“This is our Sputnik moment,” Adams said at a news conference at Fulton Transit Center in Lower Manhattan. “Like when Kennedy said we’re going to put a man on the moon. ... Let’s bring on the scanners.”

https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-to-test-scanners-with-ai-tech-to-crack-down-on-guns-in-nyc-subway

[-] invalidusernamelol@hexbear.net 40 points 6 months ago

I can't think of a more fitting quote to sum up the 21st century

[-] Dolores@hexbear.net 63 points 6 months ago

are they trying to privatise & dismantle the subway? decrease ridership, pump costs, making it this theatrical political problem?

then it'll be proposed that a private interest can rejuvenate and solve all these manufactured problems

[-] Aliveelectricwire@hexbear.net 63 points 6 months ago

China: high speed rail and efficiency

America: You have to be scanned and there will be a cop with a drug dog

[-] Ram_The_Manparts@hexbear.net 49 points 6 months ago

Ok, but have you considered the following: China bad

[-] Infamousblt@hexbear.net 60 points 6 months ago

Bit idea: Get a bunch of people who have gun shaped objects strapped to them to continuously walk through these to bog the entire system down so the rest of the complacent New Yorkers rebel against it too.

[-] MemesAreTheory@hexbear.net 46 points 6 months ago

Why yes officer, I always have 7 conspicuous dildos under my clothing. Would you like one?

[-] SuperZutsuki@hexbear.net 28 points 6 months ago

Your dildos don't have trigger-operated vibrators? How do you live?

[-] i_ben_fine@lemmy.one 22 points 6 months ago

Sounds like a plot written by Cory Doctorow.

[-] Awoo@hexbear.net 56 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

What the fuck has happened in New York to justify the need for airport level security in subways?

[-] Frank@hexbear.net 71 points 6 months ago

They hired a cop to be mayor.

This is probably all about shutting down the next blm or occupy or whatever by creating check points at transit hubs.

[-] Aliveelectricwire@hexbear.net 58 points 6 months ago

In Chicago during the BLM protests they shut down the trains and then raised all the bridges so you couldn't get out then issued a curfew. They literally made a giant kettle

[-] HexbearGPT@hexbear.net 24 points 6 months ago

That’s when you start burning shit down.

I was in a kettle once and the crowd was pushed against a citibank. well those bank windows got smashed and people streamed into the bank and trashed it and escaped through it. Lmao. Hundreds still got arrested, but many escaped.

[-] sempersigh@hexbear.net 44 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

It doesn’t bear out statistically that the subway is dangerous this is literally because of crime stories that go viral that create this perception. If you use the argument I just made people will literally accuse you of gaslighting them. Oh oh and another thing the New Yorkers who scream the loudest about this shit are the ones that DONT ride the subway; they’re fucking cowards. I’ve spent thousands of hours on the subway while there have been uncomfortable moments I have never been attacked or thought I was going to be attacked. It’s fucking safe as fuck; I’ve been to plenty of places in America where I felt unsafe and I’m telling you the nyc subway is fucking safe as fuckkkk. People are racist cowards.

Edit: I don’t want to sound too dismissive though as I’m a tall dude and at the end of the day; In the same way it can be sketchy to walk in certain parts of town at 2am as a woman the same is for the subway; sexual harassment happens and just like nearly every woman has a story of being sexually harassed/assaulted above ground; nearly every woman I talk to that rides the subway has a story of something happening down there. Obviously the fascist security theater in the OP won’t have any impact on that whatsoever but yeah safety is relative and I understand engrained misogyny can create very different perceptions of these environments for woman, trans, GNC ect

[-] Aliveelectricwire@hexbear.net 32 points 6 months ago

Wasn't there like a stabbing by a serial attacker and the cops hid until the guy who was being stabbed subdued him by himself?

[-] operacion_ogro@hexbear.net 52 points 6 months ago

How the fuck is this even a little bit feasible at any station during rush hour

[-] kristina@hexbear.net 48 points 6 months ago

it isnt. you will buy a car or you will be anally probed

[-] Gorb@hexbear.net 24 points 6 months ago

A car in NYC at rush hour is slower than standing still

[-] kristina@hexbear.net 22 points 6 months ago

until they create checkpoints at every block, then youll wish you had a car!

[-] Magician@hexbear.net 50 points 6 months ago

Every day, capitalism finds new and horrible ways to ruin public services.

Another example of liberals becoming more authoritarian.

[-] SuperZutsuki@hexbear.net 44 points 6 months ago

Becoming? They already were. They've just made strides in making it more socially acceptable

[-] MayoPete@hexbear.net 23 points 6 months ago
[-] ElChapoDeChapo@hexbear.net 27 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

yamagami "Where's Kathy?"

[-] regul@hexbear.net 47 points 6 months ago

mfs saw the TSA and were like: Brilliant!

[-] FnordPrefect@hexbear.net 45 points 6 months ago

Wow, the Stop-and-frisk-plausible-deniability beam! We really are living in the future agony-wholesome

[-] WIIHAPPYFEW@hexbear.net 41 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

Sorry that rent’s 80% of your income, but we gotta spend countless dozens of millions of dollars to instate martial law to stop the post-COVID surge of crime to its rates during the violent era of uhhhhh

checks chart

the early 2010s

[-] DragonBallZinn@hexbear.net 37 points 6 months ago

Ima keep it real with you NYC, I don't think this is going to help improve MTA ridership. kermit-pain

[-] ped_xing@hexbear.net 33 points 6 months ago

I would always roll my eyes at the plane-vs-HSR comparisons when they would include TSA time in the overall plane time only. Of course they're going to have tedious and invasive security theater before you can get on an american high-speed train. MTA's proving that they don't need new technologies or a significant attack as an impetus; they're making the existing train worse because fuck you for not driving.

[-] WELCOMETHRILLHO@hexbear.net 31 points 6 months ago

Foucault machine goes brrr

[-] JohnBrownNote@hexbear.net 31 points 6 months ago

sounds like a great time for vandalism

[-] Evilphd666@hexbear.net 24 points 6 months ago

But there's no money for housing.

[-] UmbraVivi@hexbear.net 24 points 6 months ago* (last edited 6 months ago)

Are they worried someone's gonna hijack the subway and drive it into the world trade center?

[-] O__O@hexbear.net 22 points 6 months ago

Land of the free showing its great freedom again

[-] HexbearGPT@hexbear.net 22 points 6 months ago

A crazy person screamed at me and my wife and threatened to kill me for like 45 minutes on a NYC subway once.

That was fun. 🙄

I still say abolish the police.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 28 Mar 2024
180 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13458 readers
864 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer