submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by Sasuke@hexbear.net to c/chapotraphouse@hexbear.net

link: https://imgur.com/a/BybJ7DQ

[reposting for our new lib friends]

The album includes pictures from Hamhung, Chongjin, Sinuiju, Nampo, Wonsan, Kaesong, Sariwon, Pyongsong, Haeju, and Anju.

There are some descriptions along the way (mostly just city names + general info)

I also included rural photos, and some showing various housing/development projects

kim-peace

edit: i put together the album sometime last year. most pictures are pre-pandemic and sourced from various travel blogs and instagram accounts

all 35 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] adultswim_antifa@hexbear.net 45 points 1 year ago

You silly communists don't get it. This isn't human nature. Human nature is surrounding yourself with parking lots and stroads and taking heartburn medication every day for your entire life so you can work on digital surveillance and eat processed corn cubes without feeling sick.

[-] g_g@hexbear.net 41 points 1 year ago

huge streets

very few cars

tons of bikes

pog-dolphin

[-] g_g@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago

really beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing

[-] GarbageShoot@hexbear.net 22 points 1 year ago

I appreciate the picture of the massive street with the statues in the background and the "no cars" sign in the foreground

[-] SunriseParabellum@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago

Woah must be really hard to stage all those photos.

[-] SeventyTwoTrillion@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago

the statues are paid actors

[-] refolde@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago

North Korea doesn't have statues. They just paint people and force them to stand perfectly still at gunpoint.

[-] DBVegas@hexbear.net 8 points 1 year ago

End the SAG AFTRA strike! Bring our boys home!

[-] immuredanchorite@hexbear.net 32 points 1 year ago

it is amazing they got all of those prisoners to pose in those photos for one tourist. clearly this is another example of how epic-marvelbadguy-1894-totalitariorino the North Korea is. So wild and crazy!

soypoint-2 soypoint-1

[-] UmbraVivi@hexbear.net 4 points 1 year ago

This is clearly George Foreman 1989 (Taylor's Version)

[-] immuredanchorite@hexbear.net 0 points 1 year ago

Yeah, things are so crazy in North Korea! I will literally believe anything I am told! so-true

[-] booty@hexbear.net 32 points 1 year ago

Such a beautiful country. It's the one I most want to visit, I think. Hopefully someday I can manage it.

[-] GarbageShoot@hexbear.net 26 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I love seeing traditional buildings in the DPRK. Normally you never, ever do because all the coverage is of Pyongyang and almost literally all of the older buildings there were destroyed in the war afaik.

[-] Sasuke@hexbear.net 20 points 1 year ago

yeah, i believe the estimated destruction for pyongyang is something like 75-80%

[-] SuperNovaCouchGuy2@hexbear.net 6 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

estimated destruction for pyongyang is something like 75-80%

FUCK THE UN, FUCK AMERICA amerikkka

[-] robinn2@hexbear.net 25 points 1 year ago

all fake, get better CGI, I only trust pictures from Radio Free Asia

[-] OceanSoap@lemmy.ml 23 points 1 year ago

Thank you for sharing! I love seeing North Korea pictures, it's so closed off, I'm always hyper curious about the place.

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 22 points 1 year ago

Two things always stand out in pictures from NK

1. The buildings have colour and are pretty.

2. No advertising to be seen.

It makes you realize how depressing capitalist cities are.

[-] huf@hexbear.net 18 points 1 year ago

also very few cars and no parking cars. the amount of urban space we surrender just to parking is incredible and we barely notice it. we could have really nice streets but there's 2 lines of cars parking on every one of them.

[-] ClimateChangeAnxiety@hexbear.net 5 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

And in most of the US the areas with street parking are much better to walk around. In my area street parking means low speed limits and walkable space, no street parking means the speed limit is 45 and there’s 2-3 lanes each direction.

[-] sloth@hexbear.net 22 points 1 year ago
[-] babushkot@hexbear.net 21 points 1 year ago

Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing. What struck me most about the architecture was the use of color, especially bright or pastel ones. And lots of road space but little to no cars, just pedestrians or cyclists. It's nice. The traditional houses look super cool, too.

[-] Sasuke@hexbear.net 12 points 1 year ago

yes, i love all their use of bright colors and pastels! it's so visually appealing

[-] Twink@hexbear.net 17 points 1 year ago

I wish I was useful so I could move to NK or China. :(

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 11 points 1 year ago
[-] Twink@hexbear.net 9 points 1 year ago
[-] YuccaMan@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

It really is just a beautiful place, it's a pity I'll likely never get to visit

[-] refolde@hexbear.net 14 points 1 year ago

Uhm, sorry sweaty, but these pictures aren't real. They're hiding all of the oppression out of frame and are also cooking and eating orphans.

[-] Sasuke@hexbear.net 10 points 1 year ago

i wish i had put some information/statistics about how awful the firebombing of korea was in the original album.

sariwon, for instance, was almost completely reduced to rubble (the US air force estimated the destruction to be at 95%). and yet all wikipedia has to say about the city is that its folk costume street—a popular tour spot, built to showcase old korean traditions and customs—is an "inaccurate romanticized recreation" of an "ideal picture of ancient Korea."

there's no mention of the bombing; not attempt to explain why a street built to preserve old traditions, customs and architectural styles might be important for the city. if it can't be explained as some devious, state-sponsored brainwashing plot, then it's not worth mentioning

I’m going to yell “HA HA HA” and run across the border. Beautiful album.

[-] newerAccountWhoDis@hexbear.net 2 points 1 year ago

Fucking suburbs I wish NK was more isolated. Obviously a pretty regular country though

[-] Sasuke@hexbear.net 4 points 1 year ago

Fucking suburbs I wish NK was more isolated.

jesse-wtf

[-] newerAccountWhoDis@hexbear.net 1 points 1 year ago

Every new development looks like it's in the US, isolated identical single family homes with no amenities close by.

[-] Sasuke@hexbear.net 3 points 1 year ago

with no amenities close by

and you knows this... how? also these are (mostly) rural housing developments surrounded by farmland. idk why you would compare it to us suburbs that are designed around car usage

this post was submitted on 12 Aug 2023
132 points (99.3% liked)

chapotraphouse

13458 readers
944 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS