submitted 1 year ago by tst123@lemmy.world to c/news@lemmy.world
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] stopthatgirl7@kbin.social 105 points 1 year ago

I guess we all knew this was coming after Netflix did it.

[-] jonne@infosec.pub 125 points 1 year ago

Despite Disney making record profits, it's ridiculous. Anyway, the streaming era was fun while it lasted, it's back to using BitTorrent.

[-] FoxBJK@midwest.social 23 points 1 year ago
[-] jonne@infosec.pub 29 points 1 year ago

Yeah, I have a jellyfin server, but you still have to acquire the files.

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (4 replies)
[-] MTLion3@lemm.ee 20 points 1 year ago

Just like with all great new eras/technologies, big corporations just gotta fucking ruin it

[-] jonne@infosec.pub 13 points 1 year ago

Capitalism and killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, name a more iconic duo.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] tabarnaski@sh.itjust.works 86 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Well more and more this enshittification thing seems to be a global phenomenon.

[-] sadreality@kbin.social 55 points 1 year ago

They are pissed they have to refi their corporate debt at higher rates so they are jacking up prices on peasants, share buy backs ain't free.

For shit like streaming it should be pretty easy to vote with your money. This ain't food or shelter.

[-] bamboo@lemm.ee 39 points 1 year ago

I'd argue that Disney+ was already enshittification, as Disney used to have their content on Netflix but they decided they had to lose a bunch of money to force people into another subscription. This is enshittification squared.

[-] mrvictory1@lemmy.world 77 points 1 year ago

They are losing subs already and they decided to raise prices. I don't know how this makes any sense.

[-] Asafum@feddit.nl 28 points 1 year ago

They looked at the success Netflix had with their crackdown and decided they could profit off of it too. Most people won't go elsewhere, they'll just pay for it and justify the price increase unfortunately. :/

[-] RajaGila@feddit.nl 18 points 1 year ago

I guess it's about profit maximization not subscriber numbers.

[-] notannpc@lemmy.world 63 points 1 year ago

Oh no, you mean I need to buy bigger hard drives with the money I’ll save from cancelling another subscription? What a shame.

[-] dmmeyournudes@lemmy.world 54 points 1 year ago

Did y'all know a VPN can cost less than $3 a month? Skip the Starbucks and hoist the colors.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Eggyhead@artemis.camp 47 points 1 year ago

The price of things just keep getting higher and higher little by little, but my income isn’t anywhere near what it was before Covid.

[-] NuPNuA@lemm.ee 24 points 1 year ago

That's the issue, Covid boasted all these guys profits above and beyond normal as we were all stuck at home for two years with nothing else to spend on. No they want to maintain those profits but people still only have the same amount of money to go around.

[-] Prox@lemmy.world 9 points 1 year ago

People have less money now because there are no govt wage supplements and student loan payments are being turned back on.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] inclementimmigrant@lemmy.world 45 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Oh no! Whatever will I do if they raise their prices and crack down on sharing as I sit here with a VPN and a 50TB NAS...

Can't say it wasn't a good run and I actually enjoyed the era of streaming where content was easy to get to at a fair price but as is the circle of life, these companies will always inevitably become the greedy monsters they sought to replace.

[-] Seasoned_Greetings@lemmy.world 10 points 1 year ago

these companies will always inevitably become the greedy monsters they sought to replace

Netflix is the only service I can think of that fits that bill. The truth is, virtually every other major streaming service popped up already being greedy corporation's that just wanted a piece of the pie. Divide, conquer, and raise prices was always the plan.

load more comments (9 replies)
[-] PaulDevonUK@lemmy.world 38 points 1 year ago

As this becomes more common, will we see an increase of quality available on certain waters?

[-] gila@lemmy.world 20 points 1 year ago

Quality won't increase relative to official methods because it's already more or less at parity with them. If the file you watch is tagged as a WEB-DL, in most cases it's identical to the file you'd be streaming via official methods in terms of quality. It's just remuxed into an open container format like .mkv (the video and audio streams are losslessly copied into a file format which can be shared)

Cheaper to buy a hat and eyepatch than it is to pay for all these streaming services…

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] SuperSpruce@lemmy.ml 37 points 1 year ago

And this is why we should've all cancelled Netflix when they began cracking down on password sharing. If we let them win, it'll become normalized across the entire industry, like what is happening here.

[-] maniajack@lemmy.world 16 points 1 year ago

I did, but yeah not enough others did. Yet when the spotify price went up and I kept it, because it's one service that has everything. There's a ton of value in me not having to hunt around and find every show I want to watch across 8 different shitty streaming apps.

I’m dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It’s the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they’re going to do something incredibly … stupid.”

[-] ZombieTheZombieCat@lemm.ee 36 points 1 year ago

I'm buying a dvd player, fuck these greedy pieces of shit

[-] oxjox@lemmy.ml 35 points 1 year ago

for the second time this year.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering - didn't they just do this? I cancelled my renewal when they raised it the first time and it doesn't close out until November. It was $80 a year when I first signed up - it's now more than double that!

For me, the content is not very compelling / worth $168 a year. Especially when it's evident that they're focusing more on cinema releases now than streaming shows. No love lost here.

These companies are still in the mode where they're pushing out mediocre content and trying to make their money back on nostalgia and merchandising and "background-content". They're in competition with each other to get - and maintain - as much /consumer/ attention as possible. I don't want to speak for everyone else but I think, as /audiences/, we just really want compelling stories that are well written and well acted. As consumers, we should all open our eyes a bit to what we're actually paying for and stop blinding re-subbing to stuff that's not really worth it.

You're a dumpster fire right now, Hollywood. Get your shit together.

[-] prole@sh.itjust.works 16 points 1 year ago

You're a dumpster fire right now, Hollywood. Get your shit together.

A good portion of them are currently picketing in an attempt to do that.

[-] skellener@kbin.social 31 points 1 year ago

The real trick is just subscribe for a month, watch everything you want, then cancel. No more concurrent subscriptions. All you need is one when you want. Not all year.

[-] mriormro@lemmy.world 61 points 1 year ago

That's not a trick, that's just a ton of superfluous steps. The real trick is piracy.

[-] notenoughbutter@lemmy.ml 19 points 1 year ago

the REAL trick is to sail the seas and donate to the creator you like by buying bluray or merch

[-] M0oP0o@lemmy.world 23 points 1 year ago
[-] DBT@artemis.camp 23 points 1 year ago

Damn this reminded me that I have a Disney subscription that I don’t use anymore lmao. Thanks greedy pig fuck.

[-] jasondj@ttrpg.network 21 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

All this password sharing crackdown is fucking frustrating.

My MIL doesn’t watch a lot of TV. She doesn’t have any cable or streaming services. But she does watch my kids a lot, so we have my Disney, Netflix, and Paramount set up on her TV.

So, what? Get the kids tablets? I know they shouldn’t watch a lot of TV, and my MIL is a saint and keeps them wicked busy most the day. She needs to plop them down and chill for a minute, especially when their baby cousin is there too.

[-] Iwasondigg@lemmy.one 21 points 1 year ago

Raising prices as writers and actors are on strike, meaning no new content. That should go well for them.

[-] Skeith 17 points 1 year ago

We've really come full circle back to ad-supported cable

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] tjhart85@kbin.social 13 points 1 year ago

People already bitch that Disney isn't worth the current price and they want to make it cost that much more?!

I think it's well worth the $80/yr annual sub, but I'm not sure how much higher I'd consider before just dropping it (and the article doesn't say what the annual price is raising to). It's basically only Star Wars & Marvel content (that I watch on it) and I believe they're cutting back on both, so, not giving a real good value proposition here for someone that's been subscribed since day one.

Combined with his comments on the strikes and he's making a compelling argument for cancellation.

[-] ryannathans@lemmy.world 13 points 1 year ago

More and more people will move back to torrenting and using their own media library manager like jellyfin

[-] inanna@lemm.ee 11 points 1 year ago

Billionaire warns peasants

[-] MargotRobbie@lemmy.world 9 points 1 year ago

The studios are just going to keep doing this as using streaming services as a loss leader has failed them, so please, support the strike.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 10 Aug 2023
631 points (98.6% liked)

News

22939 readers
5689 users here now

Welcome to the News community!

Rules:

1. Be civil

Attack the argument, not the person. No racism/sexism/bigotry. Good faith argumentation only. This includes accusing another user of being a bot or paid actor. Trolling is uncivil and is grounds for removal and/or a community ban.

2. All posts should contain a source (url) that is as reliable and unbiased as possible and must only contain one link.

Obvious right or left wing sources will be removed at the mods discretion. We have an actively updated blocklist, which you can see here: https://lemmy.world/post/2246130 if you feel like any website is missing, contact the mods. Supporting links can be added in comments or posted seperately but not to the post body.

3. No bots, spam or self-promotion.

Only approved bots, which follow the guidelines for bots set by the instance, are allowed.

4. Post titles should be the same as the article used as source.

Posts which titles don’t match the source won’t be removed, but the autoMod will notify you, and if your title misrepresents the original article, the post will be deleted. If the site changed their headline, the bot might still contact you, just ignore it, we won’t delete your post.

5. Only recent news is allowed.

Posts must be news from the most recent 30 days.

6. All posts must be news articles.

No opinion pieces, Listicles, editorials or celebrity gossip is allowed. All posts will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

7. No duplicate posts.

If a source you used was already posted by someone else, the autoMod will leave a message. Please remove your post if the autoMod is correct. If the post that matches your post is very old, we refer you to rule 5.

8. Misinformation is prohibited.

Misinformation / propaganda is strictly prohibited. Any comment or post containing or linking to misinformation will be removed. If you feel that your post has been removed in error, credible sources must be provided.

9. No link shorteners.

The auto mod will contact you if a link shortener is detected, please delete your post if they are right.

10. Don't copy entire article in your post body

For copyright reasons, you are not allowed to copy an entire article into your post body. This is an instance wide rule, that is strictly enforced in this community.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS