submitted 7 months ago by streetman@lemmy.world to c/moviesandtv@lemm.ee
top 6 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Mellow12@lemmy.world 6 points 7 months ago

I just finished episode 2. It’s absolutely great. The original miniseries still holds up even today, but this new imagining is really damn good. A bit more brutal than the original. A lot more beautiful. Now I have to wait week to week for the next four episodes. I love Hiroyuki Sanada every time I see him in a movie. I’ve seen a couple things that Cosmo Jarvis has been in but honestly I don’t remember him from them. I do love his raspy, gravely voice as the Anjin/Blackthorn. I cannot wait for the next episode.

[-] circuitfarmer@lemmy.world 4 points 7 months ago

The old one is good, too. It's definitely aged but I enjoyed it when I watched it last year.

[-] yessikg@lemmy.blahaj.zone 3 points 7 months ago

I didn't know it was out, gotta catch up

[-] WanderingVentra@lemm.ee 3 points 7 months ago

Me neither. How unexpected. I'm really glad it's good! I never read the book, but the poster advertisements looked really cool. And I know it was at least good enough to inspire a previous miniseries.

[-] Pons_Aelius@kbin.social 5 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

The author, James Clavell wrote 6 novels set in Asia that span 400-ish years. Shogun - 1600 to the last set in the 1990s.

Shogun is one of the best but they are all worth a read.

My rating of the Series.

Shogun & Noble House tied for first. (both were made into mini-series in the 80s)

Tai-Pan

Gai-Jin

King Rat (his first novel, based on personal experence in WW2)

Whirlwind

[-] JimmyChanga@lemmy.world 2 points 7 months ago

Why the hell did they put it up on Tuesday though. Weird scheduling

this post was submitted on 27 Feb 2024
45 points (92.5% liked)

Movies and TV Shows

2036 readers
194 users here now

A community for entertainment industry news and general discussion about movies and TV shows.

Rules:

1. Be civil.
  2. Please do not link to pirated content.
  3. No spoilers in the title of submissions. And please use spoiler MarkDown in the body of discussions. This is a courtesy to other users.
  4. Comments solely criticizing headlines and/or journalism will be removed for being off-topic.

founded 11 months ago
MODERATORS