top 22 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Sylver@lemmy.world 49 points 7 months ago

A fun idea to think about when original members of a species stick around through all of their collective cultural evolution

[-] DemBoSain@midwest.social 36 points 7 months ago

Glorfindel has seen some shit.

[-] Lorindol@sopuli.xyz 69 points 7 months ago

Galadriel also has a pretty impressive list of horrors.

• saw the Two Trees die
  • grandfather murdered by one of the gods before murder even was a thing
  • witnessed the massacre of her mother's kin
  • cursed by the Valar
  • walked across the Helcaraxë
  • saw the rise and fall of the Noldorin kingdoms of Beleriand
  • escaped the sack of Menegroth
  • present in the War of Wrath and the following ruin of Beleriand
  • rules Eregion with Celeborn until Sauron's attack destroys the realm, escapes to Lothlórien
  • daughter captured and tortured by orcs, leaves to the West heavily traumatized
  • high royalty born into literal paradise, ends up holding the last pieces of elven civilization in Middle-Earth together and ruling over a forest
[-] Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world 18 points 7 months ago

It's like her life was a game of Crusader Kings 2/3 😄

[-] fluxion@lemmy.world 7 points 7 months ago

Sees the most valiant and wise of men personally blessed by the Valar turn around and try to wage war against them because they aren't content with only living 5-10x longer than normal men. It's a wonder she still gives them the time of day.

[-] rustydomino@lemmy.world 7 points 7 months ago

He’s also done some shit.

[-] mods_are_assholes@lemmy.world 5 points 7 months ago

That's the problem with immortality, hanging around and holding back the culture.

ESPECIALLY when the oldest of them are basically in charge of everything.

[-] mods_are_assholes@lemmy.world 34 points 7 months ago

Wood Elves, High Elves and fucking Noldor...

What we are really talking about is 3 different cultures, not 3 different writing styles.

[-] Leate_Wonceslace@lemmy.dbzer0.com 10 points 7 months ago

The Noldor's slogan is "Kinslaying: fun for the whole family!"

[-] mods_are_assholes@lemmy.world 16 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

While that is an act they are surely well known for, the ACTUAL Noldor slogan is 'MINE MINE GIMME MINE FUCK YOU MINE! WE WILL BURN IT ALL DOWN BITCHES!'

It sounds prettier in elvish.

[-] Stalinwolf@lemmy.ca 16 points 7 months ago

I'd really prefer to live among the Hobbit elves.. Beginning immediately.

[-] fluxion@lemmy.world 8 points 7 months ago

Hobbit elves are just LOTR elves when there aren't any humans around

[-] DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe 2 points 7 months ago

There's actually a whole tragic backstory of their king having PTSD and refusing to deal with the darkness growing in his woods because of it, escaping into feasting and singing instead because to act would cost elven lives, but also yes.

[-] Flumpkin@slrpnk.net 15 points 7 months ago

That is one of the flaw in the hobbit movie imho, in the book they tease the dwarves and sing silly songs and are generally very lighthearted. In the movie they are almost dour in comparison to the dwarves. But the hobbit was much more of a childrens book that the lord of the rings.

[-] mods_are_assholes@lemmy.world 16 points 7 months ago

... Those were wood elves, Elrond as a high elf acted markedly different in that exact same book.

[-] Flumpkin@slrpnk.net 6 points 7 months ago

Yeah I guess. But these lighthearted wood elves don't appear in either film series. Maybe in the upcoming reboot (jk)

[-] mods_are_assholes@lemmy.world 7 points 7 months ago

The only film adaption of the Hobbit I acknowledge is the Rankin Bass version and they were merry af in that one.

[-] Flumpkin@slrpnk.net 3 points 7 months ago

Sorry, that art style gives me the heebie-jeebies

[-] mods_are_assholes@lemmy.world 4 points 7 months ago

I guess its different when you grow up with it. I always felt it gave it a certain fairy tale feel that while not directly called for by the text, made my young brain fall in love with it all the more. Like the whole concept of uglycute and baby yoda or whatever his name is.

[-] Swedneck@discuss.tchncs.de 3 points 7 months ago

it feels very true to JRRs inspiration from finnish, the style has the same vibe as traditional art up here where you're not sure if something is a rock or a troll and everything feels vaguely unsettling.

[-] mods_are_assholes@lemmy.world 1 points 7 months ago

Ok that is a lovely description. Can you suggest some Finnish folk tales I could read tonight?

this post was submitted on 24 Feb 2024
400 points (98.3% liked)

Lord of the memes

7851 readers
931 users here now

The Lord of the rings memes communitiy on Lemmy. Share memes about Lord of the rings and be respectful.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS