Which is worse? (i.imgur.com)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] pm_me_your_quackers@lemmy.world 106 points 7 months ago

Participation trophy monuments lmao

[-] Nobody@lemmy.world 97 points 7 months ago

If the confederate monument was installed in the 19th century, I’ll hear the history argument.

If it was installed as an overtly racist response to civil rights movements in the 20th century, that shit is racist as hell and needs to disappear from public lands.

[-] ech@lemm.ee 69 points 7 months ago

Nah. Tear 'em all down. The history can be left to the written word, detailing how they got destroyed. They don't deserve any monument trying to extoll their "glory". Rubble-ize them and put up memorials to the slaves in their place.

[-] cynar@lemmy.world 26 points 7 months ago

A collage/university in the UK (unfortunately can't remember which one) dealt with a similar problem well. It had statues of the founders out front. Unfortunately, they made their money from the slave trade. There were calls to destroy the statues. They instead, moved them to a small, half forgot garden in the back. As well as their original descriptive plagues, some more were added, explaining how they made their fortunes, and the various moral failings we now see in them.

It seems to me like this struck a good balance. It acknowledged the good they did, while emphasising the bad. Failing to recognise both good and bad can occur in individuals is often how history can repeat itself.

In short, don't destroy them. Instead, stick them at the back of a museum to the horrors of slavery, half forgotten, except for their crimes.

[-] stoy@lemmy.zip 3 points 7 months ago

I like this approach, if we destroy the physical object, the history books will have less impact for future generations.

Add info about what horrible things they did, remove them from their place of honor, and put them in an alcove of shame.

[-] Rodeo@lemmy.ca 23 points 7 months ago

No. Preserve them in museums as a reminder of what can happen.

History should never be destroyed, but that doesn't mean it has to be celebrated.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] FuglyDuck@lemmy.world 7 points 7 months ago

I vote we melt them down and recast them into statues/memorials for civil right's people. at least the bronze ones.

maybe even southern civil right's people.

[-] Whirling_Ashandarei@lemmy.world 46 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

Your monuments don't matter you fucking losers.

• a northerner

*Edit monuments not moments lol

[-] crypticthree@lemmy.world 19 points 7 months ago

Couldn't agree more

~a Texan

[-] some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org 35 points 7 months ago

The Daughters of the Confederacy can eat shit.

Oh, hell. I'll link to it again. Fuck the South.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Facebones@reddthat.com 26 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

I wish I saved that meme I saw responding to "confederate statues are my heritage" with "destroying the confederacy is MY heritage"

EDIT:

[-] Pratai@lemmy.ca 26 points 7 months ago

Hey Corey, your monuments don’t matter.

[-] zeppo@lemmy.world 23 points 7 months ago

Sure is weird how these people are obsessed with being traitors and also think they’re patriotic.

[-] ech@lemm.ee 11 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

"thE PArtY oF LIncoLn" waves the flag of his enemies

- these fucking idiots.

[-] ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world 4 points 7 months ago

It's hilarious to me that redneck conservatives love to wave the flags of the Confederacy and the Nazis - the recipients of the two biggest beatdowns in US military history. Losers in every sense of the word.

[-] excitingburp@lemmy.world 19 points 7 months ago

Look up " The Daughters of the Confederacy". The monuments aren't even historic.

[-] SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca 7 points 7 months ago

Well the are historic in that they're a part of the history of oppressing black people that continued after the Civil War. But doesn't seem like history someone in the South should want to celebrate.

[-] MirthfulAlembic@lemmy.world 16 points 7 months ago
[-] Son_of_dad@lemmy.world 23 points 7 months ago

The loser ones dedicated to the slavery loving losers who fought and LOST against the u.s.

[-] original2@lemmy.world 12 points 7 months ago

Is yankee offensive? I am british and have called americans "yanks" for the past 10 years at least... Should i stop or is it ok?

[-] Glytch@lemmy.world 13 points 7 months ago

It's only offensive to people from the southern US, but they're offended by a lot of things so who cares?

[-] nickwitha_k@lemmy.sdf.org 11 points 7 months ago

Nah. It can be used derisively but isn't in and of itself offensive. You're ok. Good on you for asking though.

[-] synae@lemmy.sdf.org 4 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

Confederate-wannabes can try to use it as an insult but that doesn't really work. I take it as a point of pride over them.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] bramblepatchmystery@slrpnk.net 9 points 7 months ago

I think you are okay, guvna.

[-] Bytemeister@lemmy.world 5 points 7 months ago

Not offensive, but others may feel differently.

[-] LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.world 5 points 7 months ago

Meh, in Tennessee a local bar has the Confederate battle flag on the wall and I have heard in there several times that all Yankees should be shot, referring to anyone from the north. The issue is that people have moved around so much there are from the north in the south and vise versa. New York and California are the most hated states by many southerners.

[-] graymess@lemmy.world 5 points 7 months ago

You should keep doing it. It's funny.

[-] Tristaniopsis@aussie.zone 3 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

In Australia the term is ‘Seppo’. Seppo / septic tank / yank.

[-] Zehzin@lemmy.world 3 points 7 months ago* (last edited 7 months ago)

It is used in Latin America as well as a serious denonym/gentilic. Though it can be used derisively, I'm assuming it's the same over there.

[-] ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world 8 points 7 months ago

Hey, us white people have suffered, too - like, they took away our slaves!

[-] saltesc@lemmy.world 6 points 7 months ago

Imagine you go back to the 1860s and you see a cohort of this capacity start something. No wonder they got their arses kicked.

[-] Chestnut@lemmy.world 4 points 7 months ago

I wish I could filter rage bait like this off my dash

[-] crapton_america@lemmy.world 3 points 7 months ago

Participation trophies, don’t they hate those?

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 10 Feb 2024
1050 points (99.0% liked)

Political Memes

5267 readers
3479 users here now

Welcome to politcal memes!

These are our rules:

Be civilJokes are okay, but don’t intentionally harass or disturb any member of our community. Sexism, racism and bigotry are not allowed. Good faith argumentation only. No posts discouraging people to vote or shaming people for voting.

No misinformationDon’t post any intentional misinformation. When asked by mods, provide sources for any claims you make.

Posts should be memesRandom pictures do not qualify as memes. Relevance to politics is required.

No bots, spam or self-promotionFollow instance rules, ask for your bot to be allowed on this community.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS