as mind map user I like to jot idea with parent, children, sibling hierarchy.

I am not satisfied with the present method of creating the three above as need to do a lot of adjustments ex option+ enter to create a new sibiling then ,Shift+<, or Shift+> to adapt the sibiling as a parent or sub. As I am in a creative process would like a faster way to achieve this.

For long list of sibilings I resolved writing in plain text the list and then shift+V and jjjj to select the list and then i launch toggle-heading, but this does not work if I add myself spaces in the plain text.

Please do you know a fast way to open a parent/children/sibiling node, I see a shortcut could be a solution, but do not know if is a good idea because should combine more commands

top 31 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] senkijun@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

I think org-brain is what you're looking for. It's perfect but developer has no time to maintain it unfortunately. So it has some bugs.

https://github.com/Kungsgeten/org-brain

[-] ivano_GiovSiciliano@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

yeah I examined this option already some time ago, does not work with level of nested things i need to write

[-] Ok_Advisor1053@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

The nice thing about Emacs is that you can write a function to automate away the repetitive actions.

No idea what a mind map is.

please check freeplane to see mindmap in action, is something should be better integrated with org imo

[-] Ok_Advisor1053@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Pass. Org mode is already feature creep mess

[-] Expensive_Pain@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

It's modular. You use the parts you use, the rest doesn't weigh it down.

[-] github-alphapapa@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Yes, but all those parts that I don't use have cooties! ;)

[-] radian_@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Have you tried pen and paper

is a good trick, but need to deal often with confidential info, so should make a map, make a picture, make a safe OCR, destroy the paper, not a good idea, i prefer my pc not connected to the internet

[-] funk443@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

The good old pencil and paper, always reliable

[-] yantar92@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Even better is using paper cards - one idea per card; can arrange in front of you or pin onto a board. Like https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/NfdHG6oHBJ8Qxc26s/the-zettelkasten-method-1#Zettelkasten__Part_2__Further_Advice (ignore Zettelkasten part - look at the image)

[-] publicvoit@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

I don't know about your brainstorming process.

When I do brainstorming, I don't arrange the items in the initial phase. Instead, I create a list item, write my idea, press C-RET for the next item, write down the idea and so forth.

This results in an unordered list of ideas.

Only after finishing this brainstorming phase, I start moving items around.

Therefore, I don't get distracted by order, commands, styling, arrangement, priorities, ... in the brainstorming phase.

After I've ordered the items, I may convert the simple list to headings using C-u C-* (AFAIR).

HTH

[-] grimscythe_@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

is what i do example

lista

listb

sublistb1

subsublistb1

sublistb2

listc

but then if I select and do toggle heading(on doom is space h t)

i will get flatmapped everything in one list level, a script that would examine the list inserting an ASTERISK from beginning row to first regex [0-9a-z] plus space would work but i would love an easier solution

[-] publicvoit@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Well, I already wrote that this is not the brainstorming process but the next step: ordering items.

With my Emacs Org-mode:

- a
- b
  - c
    - d
  - e
- f

... mark everything and invoke C-c * I get:

* a
* b
** c
*** d
** e
* f

I don't know what doom makes differently here.

I am really thankful for your solution is the fastest i could ever find, really useful, This is perfect to me and works in doom. Really happy about!

[-] 7890yuiop@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Have you considered an org-capture template fitting your desired format?

i use org-capture to archive my thoughts, so i insert fast in list b the thought that belongs to list b, but i need to do brainstorming, mindmapping and need the tree structure

[-] Trevoke@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Depending on what it is that you are looking for -- and how you like to brainstorm -- org-mode may not be the right tool for you.

The simplest way to think about it is: org-mode is for structured text. Brainstorming suffers from too much structure.

ink about it is: org-mode is for structured text. Brainstorming suffers from too much structure.

as a mindmapper i would be totally fine with this way of working in org mode

[-] marcin-ski@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Brainstorming suffers from too much structure.

Yeah, I have a plain scratchpad.txt file that I open with C-c s for when I just need to jot something down, take quick notes, etc. Then later I can think about where to store what I just wrote, if I even want to at all.

[-] Expensive_Pain@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

I do that, but the file is still named .org :) Just write without headings, guys.

[-] marcin-ski@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

By the way, I just learned about M-x remember-notes. Can be used with org files. ;)

[-] Mamonimoni@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

logseq has whiteboards which are more freeform like paper. And logseq integrates well with emacs and org-mode in general. There is also a mind map plugin for it.

content is confidential for a third part service, thanks

[-] Mamonimoni@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

have you tried it? it works on local files.

[-] Pr0ject217@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

I haven't yet found a solution in Emacs. I currently use Excalidraw.

[-] unduly-noted@alien.top 1 points 10 months ago

Can you clarify what you need? Are you just looking to open a parent or child heading, like C-RET or M-RET but at higher/lower level? Because that's pretty trivial in elisp:

(defun org-insert-child ()
   (interactive)
   (org-insert-heading)
   (org-do-demote))

(defun org-insert-parent ()
   (interactive)
   (org-insert-heading)
   (org-do-promote))

oh thanks to take the time this is cool!, is what i needed!

I have to book some time in the year to do elisp

and works perfectly, thank you again

this post was submitted on 18 Nov 2023
1 points (100.0% liked)

Emacs

305 readers
1 users here now

A community for the timeless and infinitely powerful editor. Want to see what Emacs is capable of?!

Get Emacs

Rules

1. Posts should be emacs related
  2. Be kind please
  3. Yes, we already know: Google results for "emacs" and "vi" link to each other. We good.

Emacs Resources

Emacs Tutorials

Useful Emacs configuration files and distributions

Quick pain-saver tip

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS