Time to migrate I guess.

top 15 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] jmk1ng@programming.dev 5 points 1 year ago

Google shutting down Google Domains is honestly baffling.

If domains aren't a pure profit center for a cloud hosting company then what is? How does selling the business to Squarespace (?!?!?!) of all companies not do serious brand damage to Google in this space?

[-] felixthehat@programming.dev 2 points 1 year ago

I can only imagine it's because of the burden of google having to do tech support, not really their forte

[-] remote_dev@programming.dev 3 points 1 year ago

Google holding true on it's promise to sunset any decent product that doesn't immediately grant them the same success as their ad business, utter shit news.

I guess I might as well migrate ahead of time so the sites I run don't shit the bed when google inevitably screws up the migration process. Anyone have experience with squarespace domain hosting?

[-] b000urns@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

I just recently finished transferring a bunch of domains TOO Google Domain, now I'm going to have do it all again lol. Wondering what the closest alternative is...

[-] darth@programming.dev 3 points 1 year ago

As usual, Google doesn't disappoint by fucking things up for everyone. I've been meaning to migrate off of GMail for a while, this is yet another signal to do so.

[-] JackbyDev@programming.dev 2 points 1 year ago

This is really upsetting. Google Domains was so streamlined and simple.

This is so annoying, can Google not do anything? Why do they keep killing products like this.

[-] kakes@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 year ago

I imagine this move in particular may be related to the recent antitrust movement against them in the EU.

[-] doowkcin@programming.dev 2 points 1 year ago

Ah man, this sucks. Google Domains was really good too.

[-] dan@startrek.website 1 points 1 year ago

I'd love to hear where people are going. I'm still trying to decide. Squarespace looks like it might be expensive when I have to renew.

I've also been using Google Domains email forwarding, and I'm trying to find a good alternative.

[-] Mustafaalbazy@programming.dev 2 points 1 year ago

name.com is a good choice to consider, but they are more expensive than google domains.

[-] AArun@programming.dev 0 points 1 year ago

Any recommendations on who to use going forward Or do you think it will be the same after squarespace takes over?

[-] jmk1ng@programming.dev 1 points 1 year ago

I've been using a combo of Namecheap and Gandi.net depending on which TLDs each support.

I've been planning on consolidating everything on Google Domains... but my laziness seems almost prescient now.

Ah fuck. The best value add of google domains is that you can set email aliases (including *@domain) and redirect them to your own adresses. Guess I'm gonna have to roll my own relay.

[-] huck@lemmy.nz 1 points 1 year ago

Pretty sure Cloudflare offers this if you use their DNS. Both bits are free and you can use them, or any other registrar with it.

this post was submitted on 16 Jun 2023
9 points (100.0% liked)

Web Development

3430 readers
1 users here now

Welcome to the web development community! This is a place to post, discuss, get help about, etc. anything related to web development

What is web development?

Web development is the process of creating websites or web applications

Rules/Guidelines

Related Communities

Wormhole

Some webdev blogsNot sure what to post in here? Want some web development related things to read?

Heres a couple blogs that have web development related content

CreditsIcon base by Delapouite under CC BY 3.0 with modifications to add a gradient

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS