submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by borari@sh.itjust.works to c/cybersecurity@sh.itjust.works

I thought I'd take a break from posting stories that come across my RSS feed to let people know about an upcoming Hack-A-Thon/CTF event that OffSec is running next weekend.

I'm not really sure what the challenges will entail, since I'm not eligible for any of the prizes I haven't been paying much attention to info about it at all. I do know that in order to compete you will have to have an active PG Practice subscription, which is $19 USD/mo, more info is here. I don't really like that they're requiring people to already have a paid subscription to compete, but it's their ecosystem and their rules.

There are three different tiers you can compete in, a PEN-300 tier, an EXP-301 tier, and an PEN-200 tier. The 1st prize for each tier is a year long LearnOne subscription to the tier course, 2nd place is a 90 day course subscription to the tier course, and 3rd place is a 90 day subscription to the PG Practice environment.

While SANS is the king of wildly expensive courses, the OffSec subscriptions definitely aren't cheap either, especially if you're self-paying. I get the irony of making people pay for entry into a contest where they might win a subscription they otherwise couldn't afford, but it's better than nothing I guess.

no comments (yet)
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
there doesn't seem to be anything here
this post was submitted on 10 Jun 2023
1 points (100.0% liked)

Cybersecurity

5456 readers
224 users here now

c/cybersecurity is a community centered on the cybersecurity and information security profession. You can come here to discuss news, post something interesting, or just chat with others.

THE RULES

Instance Rules

Community Rules

If you ask someone to hack your "friends" socials you're just going to get banned so don't do that.

Learn about hacking

Hack the Box

Try Hack Me

Pico Capture the flag

Other security-related communities !databreaches@lemmy.zip !netsec@lemmy.world !cybersecurity@lemmy.capebreton.social !securitynews@infosec.pub !netsec@links.hackliberty.org !cybersecurity@infosec.pub !pulse_of_truth@infosec.pub

Notable mention to !cybersecuritymemes@lemmy.world

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS