It was for research (lemmy.world)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Nobody@lemmy.world 74 points 11 months ago

While they're at it, they need to nerf the Sociopath trait. The handful of greedy murderhobos are breaking the climate and the economy for everyone.

[-] db2@sopuli.xyz 20 points 11 months ago

murderhobos

Well that's accurate. I'm going to start using that term now.

[-] ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works 48 points 11 months ago

2015? I demand a reset to 2000!

[-] cyborganism@lemmy.ca 26 points 11 months ago

I agree. 2001 is when the shit hit the fan.

[-] EvolvedTurtle@lemmy.world 19 points 11 months ago

cries in not being born yet

[-] cyborganism@lemmy.ca 14 points 11 months ago

Cries in being so old your realise people who were born after 9/11 are grown ass adults now.

[-] Sombyr@lemmy.one 11 points 11 months ago

Don't even have to be that old to experience that. There's this weird phenomenon where if you're born at the tail end of the 90s, anyone born 2000 onward feels infinitely younger, even if the actual age difference is only a few years.
I was born 1998 and I still look at anybody born in 2000 like "you've gotta be 12 years old max."

[-] gkd@lemmy.ml 4 points 11 months ago

Same thing here. Seeing people who were born in like 2006 as adults always trips me up for a second.

[-] db2@sopuli.xyz 12 points 11 months ago

Think of all the bullshit you won't have to put up with after a full reset though.

[-] danc4498@lemmy.world 3 points 11 months ago

Imagine a world where the Supreme Court allowed Florida to keep counting ballots and we found out Al Gore actually won the election.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] HubertManne@kbin.social 41 points 11 months ago

people say the date is dependent on the person but 2015 is basically before trump and qanon and such. So I don't think OP is saying 2015 is the best year just that after 2015 was just craziness.

[-] AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world 26 points 11 months ago

If we reset to 1960, we could avoid the whole end of the climate apocalypse thing.

I mean we wouldn't, but we could.

[-] Sebbe@lemmy.sebbem.se 17 points 11 months ago

Everything we do still counts. The faster we reduce carbon emissions, the less catastrophic the climate will get for our civilization.

And the emissions are still increasing.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] JehovahJoe@lemm.ee 11 points 11 months ago

Going back to 1960 would help us prevent Republicans from adopting the southern strategy and basically creating all modern problems

[-] Valmond@lemmy.mindoki.com 8 points 11 months ago

Maybe make Kissinger have a miss step in some stairs too.

[-] HawlSera@lemm.ee 5 points 11 months ago

Just don't elect, Nixon future saved

[-] HubertManne@kbin.social 10 points 11 months ago

yeah thats the problem. There would be time but it would be the same folks trying to do something and the same folks fighting it and the same either ignoring or being ignorant of it.

[-] freebread@lemm.ee 7 points 11 months ago

My longtime girlfriend left me the first week of 2016. It led to a lot of personal growth that would've never happened otherwise but I cannot downplay just how shocking it was for our mutual friend group. Memories of back then seem unrecognizable now.

David Bowie died the second week of 2016 and things kept going downhill from there.

[-] Franzia@lemmy.blahaj.zone 3 points 11 months ago

I was entrenched in media in 2015 and it was an unbelievably entertaining year. Of course I like politics so Trump's presidential run was pretty fucking funny.

[-] HubertManne@kbin.social 4 points 11 months ago

My big thing was making fun of brexit with a british friend and trump got elected briefly afterwards. In both cases I don't think either of us thought it would really happen before it did.

[-] spudwart@spudwart.com 39 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

"We just kinda figured maybe you'd make something neat under pressure, but it appears you made TikTok and global pandemic instead." The spokesman went on to suggest that maybe they should go back an extra year, just for good measure. "We want to give everyone a chance to reconsider their actions. Although I was personally in favor of an extra year, the council has decided that 2015 is an acceptable starting point." The spokesman then left the podium to the Chronometric Operations, Observation and Managment representative.

[-] ArmokGoB@lemmy.dbzer0.com 9 points 11 months ago

What SCP is this?

[-] gkd@lemmy.ml 3 points 11 months ago

Better plot than most movies these days.

[-] HawlSera@lemm.ee 30 points 11 months ago
[-] The_Picard_Maneuver@lemmy.world 18 points 11 months ago

Reptiles are slow to get around to doing things

[-] NoSpiritAnimal@lemmy.world 6 points 11 months ago

I have a sun lamp they can borrow

[-] nieceandtows@programming.dev 28 points 11 months ago

If they did this, I wouldn't even be mad about there being shadow overlords.

[-] li10@feddit.uk 15 points 11 months ago

I think 2012 would be best for the UK.

It’s all been aggressively down hill since the olympics.

[-] hydrospanner@lemmy.world 6 points 11 months ago

I like the theory that the Mayans were absolutely correct: the world does end on 21 December 2012.

But "the world ending" doesn't just happen all at once like flipping the switch of existence.

No, it ends by falling apart, disintegrating, devolving into chaos. Slowly at first, but compounding in speed and severity. Still, fast by "end of the world" standards may very well be "almost imperceptibly slow at first" to the human frame of reference.

In short: the world started to end right when the Mayans said it would. We're just starting to realize it now.

[-] LinkOpensChest_wav@lemmy.one 5 points 11 months ago

It absolutely hurts me that that was 2012

[-] Chariotwheel@kbin.social 13 points 11 months ago

You can really see at the chosen year where the person making the meme comes from. Plenty of countries that would have plenty to say about the year.

[-] Xylight@lemdro.id 11 points 11 months ago

If our mental state is reset as well, we would end up in a loop since we would continue reaching the same point we reset at.

[-] Glowstick@lemmy.world 14 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

The comic is saying that the overlords purposely threw in some very wacky conditions in 2015 just to see how we'd respond, so the idea we're saying is that we'd like to go back to X year and go forward but without the wacky settings in the simulator.

[-] FartsWithAnAccent@lemmy.world 10 points 11 months ago

We better be getting some bonus credits or something.

[-] HubertManne@kbin.social 9 points 11 months ago

everyones giving their preference. I would take the 70's just after the mandatory draft was out. Was basically when we had a chance to deal with global warming and you would not believe the dilapadated mansions some poor people lived in. Where they old and worn. yes. were they effin huge with a decent amount of property not far from cities. yes. also families were being supported on one income. oh and pensions were a thing.

[-] casmael@lemm.ee 9 points 11 months ago

Oh maaaaan I’ve missed this meme every day I’ve not looked at it. Truly a modern classic of the genre x x

[-] MonsiuerPatEBrown@reddthat.com 8 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Interesting times to see "The Illuminati" make a comeback.

Icke maintains that he is not an anti-Semite, and that he is criticizing not real Jews, but 12-foot-tall alien lizard people, many of whom just happen to be posing as Jews.

[-] CJOtheReal@lemmy.sdf.org 7 points 11 months ago

Nah thanks 2015 was horrible for me.

[-] RIP_Cheems@lemmy.world 6 points 11 months ago

The answer is obviouse, try to invest in bitcoin

[-] RedstoneValley@sh.itjust.works 6 points 11 months ago

01-01-1997, and please make sure everyone remembers what happens till 2023

[-] Bizarroland@kbin.social 11 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Just for some real tom fuckery it will be reset to unix time 0, aka 01-01-1970

[-] ErKaf@feddit.de 6 points 11 months ago

Please dont. That would make me unborn.

[-] ErKaf@feddit.de 8 points 11 months ago

Wait.. On second thought. .. Yes please.

[-] butter@midwest.social 6 points 11 months ago

People are stupid. If everyone remembered what happened, we would just have cryptocurrency and NFTs earlier. Nothing would actually be different

[-] Lophostemon@aussie.zone 6 points 11 months ago

Could we please reset it to about 1991?

[-] The_Picard_Maneuver@lemmy.world 9 points 11 months ago

Sure, but let's make it late 1991 so that we can all play SNES.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 07 Nov 2023
922 points (98.4% liked)

Memes

8166 readers
1417 users here now

Post memes here.

A meme is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads by means of imitation from person to person within a culture and often carries symbolic meaning representing a particular phenomenon or theme.

An Internet meme or meme, is a cultural item that is spread via the Internet, often through social media platforms. The name is by the concept of memes proposed by Richard Dawkins in 1972. Internet memes can take various forms, such as images, videos, GIFs, and various other viral sensations.

Laittakaa meemejä tänne.

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS