submitted 11 months ago by bus_go_fast@lemmy.world to c/atheism@lemmy.world
top 9 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] tygerprints@kbin.social 22 points 11 months ago

Think of that huge mental travesty - people actually choosing to believe it's OK to hurt others because their religion "guides them" to. I had a former coworker once say to me (after I admitted I was gay): "Well my religion teaches that being gay is wrong." To which I literally screamed at the top of my lungs, "THEN WHY THE FUCK DO YOU BELONG TO THAT GOD-DAMNED RELIGION THEN! YOU FUCKED UP PIECE OF PIG SHIT!!!!" That caused a commotion, I can assure you.

Seriously, if someone's religion tells them they should hurt others - what does that say about them when they willingly choose to stay in such an organization. Any group tells me to hate another group, I have the good sense and the morals and ethics to say, NO. I WILL NOT.

"Christian" religion as an excuse for hate? Not a religion I would want in my neighborhood or anywhere children of any kind.

[-] amanneedsamaid@sopuli.xyz 13 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

What I tell homophobic religious people amounts to this:

“Man is obviously made for thinking. Therein lies all his dignity and his merit; and his all duty is to think as he ought” (Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662, Pensees)

If God created me with a mind that could never find faith in him, as he hasn't given me concrete evidence, that is God's perfect design. If God created homosexuals, they are of his perfect design. If I live a virtuous life, but (naturally, due to the way God made me), still get sent to hell for being a nonbeliever, why would I ever worship such a god? The same logic applies to the idea that God hates homosexuals.

If God created homosexuals just to send them to hell, that is no god I would ever worship, even for an eternity in their heaven.

[-] ericisshort@lemmy.world 6 points 11 months ago

“No no, you see, god didn’t create them as homosexuals. The devil tempted them into becoming homosexuals after god created them.”

“But if god is all-powerful and the devil is so troublesome, why does god allow the devil to exist?”

“So that god can test if you really love him.”

“How is that in any way an admirable trait or a god worth worshipping?”

That’s how my convos with these people usually end.

[-] amanneedsamaid@sopuli.xyz 6 points 11 months ago

Exactly. If God operates that way, he is a HUGE asshat.

If anything, even if that was confirmed 100% to me, it would make me proud that I can use my conciousness to tell him to go fuck himself until and after he sends me to hell.

[-] Honytawk@lemmy.zip 4 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

Their god is all-knowing, so this deity knows exactly what would convince me to their existence. Yet doesn't bother with it.

It is like seeing your child run towards a cliff, and just grabbing pop-corn.

That isn't an all-loving entity.

[-] tygerprints@kbin.social 4 points 10 months ago

I like your responses. I'm not religious, I don't believe in god, but consider myself atheistic. I am gay, and came out in the 1980s - back in the dark ages. And I've encountered so much small-brained "religious" bigotry to ensure I'll never be able to look at religion as anything but a weapon. Who or whatever created me, I'm blessed to have what I have, and being gay has been a gigantic gift for me. And I've been published several times as a writer, I've sold oil paintings and I have mastered the piano - so I haven't just one set of behaviors to my life, but many.

[-] watson387@sopuli.xyz 12 points 11 months ago

They are more than welcome to shove their religion directly up their own asses.

[-] bus_go_fast@lemmy.world 11 points 11 months ago

Carrie Gendreau is a conservative Christian and Republican who also sits in the state legislature. She has said her policies are guided by biblical scripture, and recently told the Boston Globe: "Homosexuality is an abomination."

I love when people like Carrie say stupid stuff like this. Too bad the reporter didn't bother asking her, what policies are guided by biblical scripture?

[-] captainlezbian@lemmy.world 5 points 11 months ago

Ok who told the Christian lunatics about Ishtar? This won’t go well for any aspect of the First Amendment

this post was submitted on 02 Nov 2023
100 points (93.1% liked)

Atheism

3983 readers
2 users here now

Community Guide

Archive Today will help you look at paywalled content the way search engines see it.

Statement of Purpose

Acceptable

Unacceptable

Depending on severity, you might be warned before adverse action is taken.

Inadvisable

Application of warnings or bans will be subject to moderator discretion. Feel free to appeal. If changes to the guidelines are necessary, they will be adjusted.

If you vocally harass or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathizer or a resemblant of a group that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of any other group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you you will be banned on sight.

Provable means able to provide proof to the moderation, and, if necessary, to the community.

~ /c/nostupidquestions

If you want your space listed in this sidebar and it is especially relevant to the atheist or skeptic communities, PM DancingPickle and we'll have a look!

Connect with Atheists

Help and Support Links

Streaming Media

This is mostly YouTube at the moment. Podcasts and similar media - especially on federated platforms - may also feature here.

Orgs, Blogs, Zines

Mainstream

Bibliography

Start here...

...proceed here.

Proselytize Religion

From Reddit

As a community with an interest in providing the best resources to its members, the following wiki links are provided as historical reference until we can establish our own.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS