all 28 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 23 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

In what way? Product quality? Sustainability of ingredients? Commitment to ethics? Stability of price? All of the above?

[-] Albin7326@suppo.fi 3 points 11 months ago
[-] saltesc@lemmy.world 10 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

If vanity isn't your thing, DIY.

It's not magic. It's just a combination of non-complex ingredients to clean shit out of something.

You won't get synthesised super shiny model hair, but it'll be very clean, smell good, and be tweaked just how your hair and scalp likes it. Much cheaper too.

When I surfed every day for years, I never shampooed my hair, just ocean and shower. Was so healthy, clean, and people said it looked cool—people literally buy product to get that look. It doesn't take much.

[-] Mothra@mander.xyz 6 points 11 months ago

Wow. Where did you surf? Never in my life my hair felt clean after swimming in the ocean. It was always a sticky, smelly mess, even if the waters were in good condition ( such as in Australia). And this comes from someone who did no-poo for a couple years and is still low on shampoo use up to date. No way I'd just brush away after the ocean or fix it with a rinse.

[-] saltesc@lemmy.world 2 points 11 months ago

East Coast, Australia. I just showered. Lots of beaches here also have outdoor showers at the beach.

[-] cactusupyourbutt@lemmy.world 6 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

how did you deal with the salt making your hair sticky and crusty?

[-] saltesc@lemmy.world 1 points 11 months ago

Shower. Home was a couple mins walk away, or used the ones at the beach if not at my local.

[-] SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world 11 points 11 months ago

I think it's imperative that we know the intent behind this question in order to best answer it.

[-] LazerFX@sh.itjust.works 9 points 11 months ago

I don't really care about trustable, the only shampoo that reliably deals with my dandruff / itchy scalp is Head & Shoulders. It's a pain in the ass if I don't use it. I'd rather not, honestly - heard lots of, "You don't need it, let it handle itself, just rinse it, whatever..." - yeah, I love looking like it's snowing and scratching all the time.

[-] MajesticSloth@lemmy.world 2 points 11 months ago

Had the same issues when I still had hair to manage. Head & Shoulders was the only one for me as well. Until I just started buzzing my hair.

Now I need a good beard wash or my beard deals with the same thing.

[-] devtoi@feddit.nu 6 points 11 months ago

I could recommend evaluating if you really need shampoo. Look into no-poo or acid rinse. I use local made soap and acid rinse instead of shampoo, works well for me. Other than that as others said we need more info.

[-] Krudler@lemmy.world 5 points 11 months ago

It's all the same crap and you're buying packaging on marketing hype.

Frankly, people don't even need shampoo, even with long hair.

Yeah, you have to get over the hump of your scalp over producing oil, because you've been constantly stripping it needlessly, thus resulting in overproduction of oil. Once you let it get back into balance, you'll never need shampoo again.

I haven't shampooed my hair in 6 years, and women absolutely swoon when they touch my hair. I don't have to do anything to it to make it look like I spent a lot of money.

[-] a_postmodern_hat@lemmy.world 4 points 11 months ago

You know, I’ve heard this, but I think it still must depend on the person. I tried not washing for a year or so and it was a nightmare. I can’t remember how long I would go without shampooing, certainly no more than three or four days, but it was just gross, even brushing and combing the shit out of it.

Now I wash nightly and it’s great and I don’t even think about it.

[-] Krudler@lemmy.world 7 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Question though, were you still washing your hair with water and mild massage with fingertips? Because that's what I do. Just wondering.

Also you're replying seems to indicate that you would stop washing but you would shampoo every 4 days or so? If I have that right, then I would suggest you're not really doing what I'm talking about which is to continue washing your hair with water but just stop the shampoo altogether.

It took me about 6 weeks for my scalp to stop over producing. I can admit that it was pretty disgusting looking for a while until it all balanced out.

[-] a_postmodern_hat@lemmy.world 1 points 11 months ago

Yeah I was washing with just water nightly and brushing after, but still shampooing every few days (expecting I would eventually stop shampooing altogether). Maybe that was the problem.

One day I’ll try again using your method :)

Thanks for replying!

[-] OmegaMouse@feddit.uk 4 points 11 months ago

I'm not sure what you mean by this question, but while I'm here can anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner brand that won't dry out my hair? I have quite thick hair for context.

[-] TowardsTheFuture@lemmy.zip 4 points 11 months ago

Mostly look for things without sulfates or other harsh surfactants. You just want a light wash. Often these can get marketed for coloured(dyed) hair as they are softer and won’t rip out colour as much. A lot of cheap shampoo is just harsh stuff that’ll rip open follicles and then the conditioner is made to get shoved in said follicles to make it look not bad.

I use pacifica or seaweed bath co. cuz I like their mint shampoo (plus they’re cruelty free) but I mean, those are definitely more expensive than they need to be for what you want.

[-] OmegaMouse@feddit.uk 1 points 11 months ago

Thanks for this! Do you reckon a product like this (Sukin Natural Balance Shampoo) would be ok? It claims to be sulfate and paraben free

[-] jemikwa@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 11 months ago

Similarly, make sure if you use any conditioner that it is silicone free. Sulfates also exist in shampoo to strip built up silicones from the hair, so if you're removing sulfates, you'll miss removing the silicones. Silicones can be any compound that ends in -cone.

[-] OmegaMouse@feddit.uk 2 points 11 months ago

Thanks for the heads up :) The same brand does a conditioner that is silicone free, so I'll try that out

[-] TowardsTheFuture@lemmy.zip 2 points 11 months ago

Yeah that looks good.

[-] RBWells@lemmy.world 2 points 11 months ago

Coarse individual hairs? I have that - average number of hairs, probably, but thick because each hair is thick. I use now Innersense Hydrating Cream Conditioner. Have never had anything work this well before, it's like it was made for my hair. Super concentrated, very expensive but I buy the liter bottle and it lasts half a year.

Shampoo, I don't think it matters as much, doing it less often matters more. Anything reasonably gentle, low or no sulfate (look for other surfactants higher on the ingredient list) If your hair is naturally dry, not damaged (coarse hair often is) then getting a good conditioner and leaving some in will make the most difference. If it's dry from damage then a protein treatment might work better.

[-] KISSmyOS@lemmy.world 3 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

I use Aleppo soap. One of the last remaining export products of Syria, still made the same way it's been made for millenia, wth 3 ingredients (lye, olive oil, laurel oil).
And my long hair has never been better.

[-] RBWells@lemmy.world 2 points 11 months ago

You must have very soft water. Natural lye soap in hair is dangerous business. Soap scum can lock onto hair and not let go. If you live where soap builds up on your tub, do not use soap in your hair.

[-] subspaceinterferents@lemmy.world 1 points 11 months ago

drbronner.com

[-] Chickens@lemmy.world -5 points 11 months ago

Check out Miricle Soap. You can find it at nearly any health food store. I use it for everything, head to toes. No bad chemicals. Your skin is your largest organ and it acts like a sponge. Using unhealthy chemicals in our products may be leading to the decline American life-span.

[-] Dr_Cog@mander.xyz 3 points 11 months ago

It literally does not act like a sponge. That's the whole point of skin, is to not absorb shit.

this post was submitted on 12 Oct 2023
19 points (71.1% liked)

No Stupid Questions

35393 readers
1465 users here now

No such thing. Ask away!

!nostupidquestions is a community dedicated to being helpful and answering each others' questions on various topics.

The rules for posting and commenting, besides the rules defined here for lemmy.world, are as follows:

Rules (interactive)

Rule 1- All posts must be legitimate questions. All post titles must include a question.

All posts must be legitimate questions, and all post titles must include a question. Questions that are joke or trolling questions, memes, song lyrics as title, etc. are not allowed here. See Rule 6 for all exceptions.

Rule 2- Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material.

Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material. You will be warned first, banned second.

Rule 3- Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here.

Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here. Breaking this rule will not get you or your post removed, but it will put you at risk, and possibly in danger.

Rule 4- No self promotion or upvote-farming of any kind.

That's it.

Rule 5- No baiting or sealioning or promoting an agenda.

Questions which, instead of being of an innocuous nature, are specifically intended (based on reports and in the opinion of our crack moderation team) to bait users into ideological wars on charged political topics will be removed and the authors warned - or banned - depending on severity.

Rule 6- Regarding META posts and joke questions.

Provided it is about the community itself, you may post non-question posts using the [META] tag on your post title.

On fridays, you are allowed to post meme and troll questions, on the condition that it's in text format only, and conforms with our other rules. These posts MUST include the [NSQ Friday] tag in their title.

If you post a serious question on friday and are looking only for legitimate answers, then please include the [Serious] tag on your post. Irrelevant replies will then be removed by moderators.

Rule 7- You can't intentionally annoy, mock, or harass other members.

If you intentionally annoy, mock, harass, or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathiser or a resemblant of a movement that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of a group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you will be banned on sight.

Rule 8- All comments should try to stay relevant to their parent content.

Rule 9- Reposts from other platforms are not allowed.

Let everyone have their own content.

Rule 10- Majority of bots aren't allowed to participate here.

Credits

Our breathtaking icon was bestowed upon us by @Cevilia!

The greatest banner of all time: by @TheOneWithTheHair!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS