submitted 1 year ago by Custoslibera@lemmy.world to c/memes@lemmy.ml
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] N00b22@lemmy.ml 67 points 1 year ago

My opinion:

I think this community should ban political memes, and instead have another community for only political memes. I'm from Costa Rica and I don't care about the USA politics or stuff

[-] TheRaven@lemmy.ca 14 points 1 year ago

Right? It’s such a US way of thinking to assume the entire world needs to hear about your issues.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml 10 points 1 year ago

You don't really get that by banning a topic, but rather by fostering a culture where that sort of thing is frowned upon.

[-] NightAuthor@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

And you can foster it with rules and moderation.

[-] cyclohexane@lemmy.ml 7 points 1 year ago

"Political Memes" is extremely vague. I opened the community, and this was the 3rd meme that came up. Just to show you that it doesn't take much to find an example that really blurs the line of what would be a political meme and what isn't.

[-] Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de 6 points 1 year ago

But but... landlord bad? capitalism also bad??

[-] dontcarebear@lemmy.ml 46 points 1 year ago

Sometimes people just want to take a shit in peace.

[-] SusheeMonster@kbin.social 10 points 1 year ago

I hope it was one of those poops where you felt lighter afterwards, and that wiping afterwards wasn't an ordeal

[-] Raz@lemm.ee 7 points 1 year ago

That was... extremely nice of you to say.

[-] Zehzin@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

You better have a bidet, since it reduces paper consumption which is better for the environment.

Fuck I did the thing

[-] Nioxic@lemmy.dbzer0.com 32 points 1 year ago

Even chosen linux distro?

Damn

[-] duviobaz@lemmy.blahaj.zone 19 points 1 year ago

I work in the government and let me tell you: Yes

[-] jasondj@ttrpg.network 8 points 1 year ago

I mean, depending on how much you value privacy and the virtues of FOSS…maybe not directly political, but I’m sure some correlations could be made.

[-] cloudy1999@sh.itjust.works 7 points 1 year ago

Especially Linux distro! Now, give me a pulseaudio snap package for my Unity desktop.

ducks and covers head

[-] c0mbatbag3l@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

According to Lemmy that's the most important political decision there is.

[-] Schnitzel_bub@lemmy.ml 31 points 1 year ago

No, that's not what they mean.

[-] balderdash9@lemmy.zip 14 points 1 year ago

Seriously, OP is straw-manning. There's not this much politics on other sites. Lemmy has a ton of tankies so everything is about communism here

Yeah, when I'm doing the whole "no politics" thing it's because the same issues keep being rehashed and even if I'm invested in them it still gets unpleasant when a conversation becomes circular.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] BeanCounter@sh.itjust.works 25 points 1 year ago

Hey son how about we stay out of politics or whatnot and focus on this nice family time?

Normal response: Okay sorry dad, guess I was making everyone uncomfortable. It was just one of my hills to die on. So how's the food?

OP's response: But everything is political? How do you taste of that animal exploits cooked with nature crushing electricity dipped in yet another animal cruelty and forced labor? Family? What is family anyway? Do you realize that by forcing me to have a nice family time is actually only beneficial to fat capitalists? These things matter. And if you don't want to hear these wherever you go then it's your problem not mine.

[-] Facebones@reddthat.com 19 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

That same dad when I happen to mention my trans friend in passing because it's my friend:

three hour rant about me being men and testicles are a thing for a reason and this mother fucker is destroying America

Y'all "let's not politic" folk politic ALL the time, you just think you can "nuh uh" to pick and choose what qualifies.

[-] dafo@lemmy.world 11 points 1 year ago

You're making a big generalisation based on someone not wanted to see political memes and memes to about people not wanting to see political memes when they're taking a dump or just trying to make the day pass.

I would definitely be a leftist in the USA and probably be considered progressive even, just because I'm used to how things are here in Sweden and the social climate we have. (I even argue with Americans quite often of how crappy their social climate and ideologies are)

But I still would like to browse Lemmy while taking a crap without having US politics memes shoved down my throat. If I would want that I'd probably subscribe to a relevant community.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] AnonTwo@kbin.social 23 points 1 year ago

Isn't there literally a community called politicalmemes because people wanted to sort these into another place?

At this point you're not even posting to be funny, you're just posting to be annoying.

[-] ArcticLynx@feddit.de 9 points 1 year ago

some would even consider it not only annoying, but spamming as well

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] hackris@lemmy.ml 21 points 1 year ago

While I do agree that most things in life are somehow connected to politics and that it needs to be discussed, when I come somewhere, in real life or online, and I want to chill out, I really don't want to hear about it. Political communities exist, even here on Lemmy. Let's keep politics out of cooking, meme, and other not politically oriented communities please :)

[-] Ilovethebomb@lemmy.ml 20 points 1 year ago

Jesus christ you're insufferable.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml 19 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I once got warned in a discord server for being political. Brought up that everything was politics and they backed off.

About a week later I got hints that they might be a bit of a nazi bar which was confirmed when I called it out.

[-] SrTobi@feddit.de 18 points 1 year ago

I reject this! This sounds edgy but muddies the water and distracts as to recognize what politics is. Politics is everything regarding decision-making in groups! not more not less. Recognize when that's the case and fight!

[-] DmMacniel@feddit.de 14 points 1 year ago
load more comments (31 replies)
[-] foggy@lemmy.world 14 points 1 year ago

I was once up in some reddit thread during the George Floyd protests/defending the police, and some dipshit had the lack of education to earnestly say "since when is the police a political issue?"

My dude. They share a the same root word.

[-] ArcticLynx@feddit.de 14 points 1 year ago

literally everything is politics

how is nitrogen atom nr. 14729583929174 political?

[-] Facebones@reddthat.com 8 points 1 year ago

"Not everything is political"

=

"I am priveledged enough that my right to exist and thrive is never questioned or under fire, and things that I care about are protected by the status quo and the suppression of others"

[-] Illegal_Prime@dmv.social 7 points 1 year ago

I exist in several categories of people who’s right to exist have been threatened many, many times throughout history, I agree that everything is political, or rather, that politics encompasses everything.

However, not every discussion should become politically oriented, as it’s not particularly the most productive in many cases. This is most prominent on the internet, where nuance, which is ESSENTIAL for productive political discourse, is often absent. I find much political discussion. This is especially true in dialogues where it is either discussed on a broad scale, or where it is discussed in a reactionary manner. When my answers to political topics are so often “it depends”, this stuff tends to be quite straining, especially when my attempts to create dialogue are shot down.

In short “not everything is political” exists because you’re either detailing a discussion to talk about how horrible everything is, or you’re on the internet and internet politics just suck.

load more comments (9 replies)
[-] 10_0@lemmy.ml 7 points 1 year ago

No its not, when I close Lemmy it disappears (IMAGINE BELIEVING THAT POSTING MEMES IS "CHANGING THE STATUS QUO") 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

[-] SasquatchBanana@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

Memes help share ideas and they reflect the zeitgeist. You can see the pattern if you're older and experienced the birth of internet memes and over time they became more depressing, surreal, and self deprecating, reflecting the current socio-economic situation of many. During 2020 - 2023, the memes were quite surreal and making commentary about one in a life time events happening many times, shits on fire, economic inequity and more. Millenials and zoomers are depressed they can't afford a house.

Now imagine you are someone who has a masters degree and can't find a decent paying job because the marking is fucked. You want to purchase a house and you just can't. You now see a meme reflecting those ideas and you feel a form of solidarity. You get emboldened by those ideas.

I think, the current wave of unionization and striking partly contributed by these memes. They shared a spotlight on the inequities of the world and got people worked up. You can also see the "power" of the Dark Brandon memes, oh, and Donald fucking Trump became a serious candidate and elected because of memes.

[-] puppy@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

Imagine believing that changing the status quo happens out of the blue without civil political discourse.

[-] satans_crackpipe@lemmy.world 7 points 1 year ago

Why did you have to go and make sign tapping political?

[-] Blaster_M@lemmy.world 6 points 1 year ago

Alright then:

breathes deep

The toilet paper is supposed to point away from you.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz 5 points 1 year ago

I still think about this guy who was trying to get into local government, he had a campaign talking point along the lines "I will bring common sense, politics isn't a place for ideologies".

[-] Rayuza@lemmy.world 4 points 1 year ago

Thats the only thing i dont like about lemmy

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 30 Sep 2023
454 points (78.5% liked)

Memes

45266 readers
2117 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS