top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] sooper_dooper_roofer@hexbear.net 68 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

kids failing school and being forced through anyway, not knowing things that were basic knowledge 10 years ago

"it's okay they can just google it"

the google results

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 56 points 1 year ago

The internet died when capitalism got it's greasy paws into it and created web 2.0

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 37 points 1 year ago

Web 3.0 struggles to be born, and it is defined by being systemically and categorically worse than 2.0 doomer

[-] c0mpost@lemmy.eco.br 19 points 1 year ago

I was under the impression that this federated network of self-hosted servers we're using to communicate right now was web 3.0

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago

It is? I truly didn't know.

Around where I am, and in much of the internet at large, "Web 3.0" is only talked about when it comes to "how can we put this on the blockchain" or "how can we get even more surveillance and monetization out of this" discussions.

[-] Orcocracy@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago

Web 3 was never anything but marketing nonsense. To be fair, that was true for Web 2.0 as well. Web 2.0 was always about rebranding the internet as a profitable thing for high finance to invest in following the 2000 dotcom crash. It had nothing to do with any particular technology, and O'Reilly's manifesto about Web 2.0 was filled with nothing but marketing slogans. After all, he was just a knock-off "Windows ME for Dummies" book publisher who stumbled on a con that San Francisco financiers loved to use. Almost 20 years later the crypto weirdos - who had been at their own con for the majority of the intervening years - thought that making a sequel of O'Reilly's Web 2.0 con would be an excellent idea. It's bullshit all the way down and always has been.

astronaut-2 astronaut-1

[-] iridaniotter@hexbear.net 15 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Nah, the real Web 3.0 is the Semantic Web. Any day now. chomsky-yes-honey

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Frank@hexbear.net 15 points 1 year ago

There'sn what, 100k active users on the entire lemmyverse? Our 1k active users are a significantly outsized proportion of all that traffic? We're very small.

[-] Frank@hexbear.net 50 points 1 year ago

The internet, like many great and terrible things, will not die quickly or cleanly. It's death throes will be horrible and inflict great suffering, and it's corpse will swell with unnatural life even more terrible than its forbear.

[-] a_blanqui_slate@hexbear.net 44 points 1 year ago

His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] usernamesaredifficul@hexbear.net 49 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

brilliant. Just replace all information with nonsense

make it so if you want accurate information you need to go to the library like it was in the past

[-] Tachanka@hexbear.net 15 points 1 year ago

the internet wouldn't be this way if Cybersyn/Allende survived and Brezhnev hadn't defunded OGAS cyber-lenin programming-communism

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] Llituro@hexbear.net 48 points 1 year ago

nuking the internet with the math equivalent of xeroxes of xeroxes is a fantastic bit

[-] Magician@hexbear.net 44 points 1 year ago

Not to be too doomer, but if you have things you like on the internet, get an external hard drive and start saving. It's gonna be hard to find things soon

[-] GaveUp@hexbear.net 31 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

It's already gotten much harder for me to Google good sources of information that goes against the mainstream capitalist ideals compared to a few years ago

It's not just AI, the US state will also greatly expand their control on the flow of information as they continue to increase the need to suppress workers domestically and internationally

[-] Awoo@hexbear.net 40 points 1 year ago

Use Yandex. I'm not joking, I have started to get better results on it and the image search is genuinely much better, in particular the reverse image search is waaaaay better.

[-] moondog@hexbear.net 21 points 1 year ago

quick yandex vs google test:
i searched "soviet union"
google gave me a state department history link on the first page of google
yandex didn't give me that same link until the 4th page

[-] WoofWoof91@hexbear.net 20 points 1 year ago

also good for finding pirated pdfs when libgen fails

[-] GaveUp@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

I already do big-cool

I should try switching over to it as my main search engine though. I've never tried their image or video search

[-] Awoo@hexbear.net 15 points 1 year ago

Can't speak for video but even the interface for reverse image search is just massively and obviously better when you try it. Both finding the source and "similar images"

[-] GaveUp@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

That's beautiful

Image reverse search definitely took a big step down when Google consolidated a bunch of image/camera shit into Google Lens

[-] MaoTheLawn@hexbear.net 30 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

The CIA and other financial institutions already read books from leftist authors to find stats that they need to conceal - Super Imperialism — Michael Hudson

"Politicians in charge of national statistics encourage popular misunderstanding, but my statistical analysis tells a different story from what is widely believed. A few years ago I sought to update my calculations on the impact of U.S. military spending and foreign aid on the balance of payments. But the Commerce Department had changed Table 5 of its balance-of-payments report, dealing with foreign aid and other government programs, in a way that no longer reveals the extent to which foreign aid programs generate a transfer of dollars from foreign countries to the United States. I phoned the statistical division responsible for collecting these statistics, and in due course reached the technician responsible for the numbers. “We used to publish that data,” he explained, “but some joker published a report showing that the United States actually made money off the countries we were aiding. It caused such a stir that we changed the accounting format so that nobody can embarrass us like that again.”

I realized that I was the joker who was responsible for the present-day statistical concealment."

https://medium.com/@davi./super-imperialism-f7e92ba1f4f0

And:

"Well, I thought that this was going to be a warning to other countries. And indeed, there was a very quick Spanish translation and Japanese translation. But the main purchases, as we’ve talked about a year ago, were the CIA and the Defense Department.

Immediately Herman Kahn hired me to the Hudson Institute and gave a very large grant for me to explain to the government how imperialism was working. And the U.S. government used this as a how-to-do-it book."

https://michael-hudson.com/2021/10/we-make-the-rules/

[-] sammer510@hexbear.net 17 points 1 year ago

Jesus fucking christ

[-] AOCapitulator@hexbear.net 41 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Digital Kessler Syndrome

its just all trash

[-] Mardoniush@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago

Me putting my microwave into a hard vaacuum cabinet to melt an egg.

[-] tamagotchicowboy@hexbear.net 29 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

As someone that works with cleaning up after AI, nah don't worry, capitalism and climate change with keep it in a tight cage. Future peoples will be confused why capitalist Murica had such limited trite uses for AI similar to how the Imperialist Romans only used the steam engine for opening temple doors or similar stories.

To add, Chat gpt's answers are curated by people not given too long to QA select questions and areas, like the story of the mechanical Turkish chessplayer most of AI's brain power is still human-derived and these workers (esp non-imperial core) are very low paid and non experts in their fields.

[-] aaaaaaadjsf@hexbear.net 29 points 1 year ago

Noticed this the other day when I got a Quora chat gpt answer telling me that it was dangerous to transform a 5V 2.4A electric current to a 12V 1A electric current, to supply electricity to a device needing a 12V 1A input current.

Yeah I'll just supply the device with over double the amperage it's designed for, along with an incorrect voltage, thanks Quora.

pretty rare to see a current sink device out there, I expect it'd be fine with any 12V supply with more than 1A available

[-] laziestflagellant@hexbear.net 29 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I feel like eventually google (and other websites but especially google) will realize the extent of the damage and will have to rebuild their foundations to combat the endless, automated and financially incentivized math hallucinations, but I really wonder how bad the damage is going to get before we reach that point.

Probably a bunch of dead people tbh, see Ann Reardon's series on Litchenberg woodburning

[-] Frank@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago

I think it's an open question at this point if highly financialized western capitalism can undertake that kind of productive re-building. Personally I don't think it is capable.

[-] macerated_baby_presidents@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

aw that's sad. i assumed people knew better. This and Jacob's Ladders are the kind of thing where you set it up in one room, and you plug it in from the other room. That video of someone holding the HV end with their bare hands is nuts, I wouldn't even do that with line voltage. Same old story: people get acclimated to the danger, until one day they're working in the shop alone late at night and make a tiny mistake.

"we're talking 2000 volts here, we're not playing with tiny amounts of current"

aghh

[-] UlyssesT@hexbear.net 25 points 1 year ago

Do you feel liberated yet? Aren't you glad your not real job was replaced? so-true

[-] MF_COOM@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago
[-] CliffordBigRedDog@hexbear.net 22 points 1 year ago

I love the antichrist actually

[-] Frogmanfromlake@hexbear.net 19 points 1 year ago

There's going to be generations of kids raised on this shit thinking its normal while also being increasingly depressed and blaming their loneliness on a boogeyman sold to them.

[-] Tiocfaidhcaisarla@hexbear.net 17 points 1 year ago

AI shit gives me real psychic damage, actual existential dread. Like a bad acid trip.

This (Twitter link) is another example. Seemingly innocuous, but at some point it will result in real pain or worse for people and the world, I'm certain it's just a matter of time.

[-] GorbinOutOverHere@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

yes you can melt an egg I mean you make it hot and dense enough it'll melt into neutron goo

[-] cynesthesia@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

I tried this and it's either been fixed or didnt happen in the first place

[-] HarryLime@hexbear.net 24 points 1 year ago
[-] cynesthesia@hexbear.net 25 points 1 year ago

Ah interesting "can you melt eggs" - answer is yes

"can you melt an egg" answer is no

[-] Hohsia@hexbear.net 15 points 1 year ago

Wow it’s really thinking

load more comments