submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by ThisMachineKillsFascists@hexbear.net to c/memes@hexbear.net

TV, movies, music, video games, the internet, what's next to carve out and ruin?

all 25 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] nat_turner_overdrive@hexbear.net 43 points 1 year ago

My one "the kids are wrong" take is when I was a kid, selling out was bad, but now it seems that it's celebrated.

[-] GaveUp@hexbear.net 21 points 1 year ago

The fans are happy that their favourite creators are getting the bag in a world where that's impossible with just an average salary, I think it's sweet. I do this too though I don't really have any creators I like

No doubt getting the bag is nice, but when millennials were kids the selling out part was considered bad not because getting the bag is bad in itself but because getting the bag usually means changing the nature of the art to make it more marketable. It means answering to the rich guys handing you the bag. I just miss that acknowledgement, that the art would be inevitably watered down by appeal to larger markets.

[-] booty@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

it's not so much that it's celebrated, selling out still sucks, it's just that we understand that you gotta do what you gotta do in this fucked up system we're in. selling out is winning, and we can respect that you won, even if you sold your soul to do it

[-] Jobasha@hexbear.net 37 points 1 year ago

One thing I like pointing out to gamer types who believe there would be no innovation without capitalism is that many of the most successful games on the market are derived from free mods.

[-] buckykat@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago

The most popular game ever was made as a side project by a Soviet scientist

[-] hotwarioinyourarea@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago

Comrade Mojang really turned his life around after the Soviet Union collapsed

[-] CatoPosting@hexbear.net 4 points 1 year ago

the Soviet Union collapsed

You mean was murdered!

[-] Tachanka@hexbear.net 8 points 1 year ago

worker

i am the one

who arranges the blocks

which rain down on me

from up above

they come down

then i spin them around

'til they fit in the ground

like hand in glove

[-] Roflol@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 year ago

Mods depends on the full game though, FOSS games is a much better comparison

[-] drearymoon@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago

Hey Hexbear, are you guys looking for VC funding? We could really make this a big thing! I love this "commonism" or whatever it is this community talks about. With the right cash injection, Hexbear could really 10x or 100x its audience!

[-] Rom@hexbear.net 27 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Damn now the Viet Cong wants to fund us too? How will that work with our CPC and Kremlin sponsors?

[-] silent_water@hexbear.net 26 points 1 year ago

if the admins ever get an offer for VC funding, they better post that shit straight to the dunk tank or we riot

Someone offered to buy the site a while back and the Twitter DMs were indeed posted

[-] alcoholicorn@hexbear.net 4 points 1 year ago

Do you have any link to that?

[-] ScrewdriverFactoryFactoryProvider@hexbear.net 4 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

It looks like everything prior to 2021 has been removed from the official Twitter, so no. Maybe @HexbearIntern@hexbear.net does?

Edit: found a relevant post:

https://hexbear.net/post/180812

[-] GaveUp@hexbear.net 17 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

It's posts like this that makes me be unable to enjoy anything at all for a few days

Sorry, I'm a depressing motherfucker.

[-] sloth@hexbear.net 17 points 1 year ago

smoking-fish Fuck. Ain't that the truth.

[-] Awoo@hexbear.net 12 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

On extremely rare occasions the right people exist in a company where they're funded to do it for profit and somehow manage to turn it into an untainted passion project.

This creates things that stand out as absurdly over-delivering compared to everything else in their field. And nothing comes close to them again until by some accident another team manages to create a passion project with full funding.

[-] fox@hexbear.net 10 points 1 year ago

You can just say Baldurs Gate

[-] Awoo@hexbear.net 5 points 1 year ago

I was thinking that yes.

[-] Goldmaster@lemmy.ml 9 points 1 year ago

WhatsApp and Signal come to mind

this post was submitted on 23 Sep 2023
206 points (100.0% liked)

memes

22694 readers
468 users here now

dank memes

Rules:

1. All posts must be memes and follow a general meme setup.

2. No unedited webcomics.

3. Someone saying something funny or cringe on twitter/tumblr/reddit/etc. is not a meme. Post that stuff in !the_dunk_tank@www.hexbear.net, it's a great comm.

4. Va*sh posting is haram and will be removed.

5. Follow the code of conduct.

6. Tag OC at the end of your title and we'll probably pin it for a while if we see it.

7. Recent reposts might be removed.

8. Tagging OC with the hexbear watermark is praxis.

9. No anti-natalism memes. See: Eco-fascism Primer

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS