I had originally posted this to Reddit but the mods removed it and suggested I take it to a rock and minerals subreddit.... which was infuriating. Anyways, this came in a collection of other Mexican arts and pottery. I have not found anything exactly like it online. I actually have a pair of them. I thought it might be for tortillas but it seems small. It's abou 4" across. Any help is appreciated.

all 15 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml 27 points 1 year ago
[-] Mightymaxx@lemmy.world 12 points 1 year ago

Oh that's an interesting idea. But I would expect it have some kind of exit for the grain? I'm not sure.

[-] pigup@lemmy.world 17 points 1 year ago

Smash corn, scrape off, repeat

[-] SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml 11 points 1 year ago

You can see on the rim the different wear patterns where maybe they were grinding too much at the side. If that's not a hand mill I'm not a Stone Mason.

[-] Mightymaxx@lemmy.world 7 points 1 year ago

I think we solved it. Should there be another piece to it? Or did just use another stone?

[-] SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml 5 points 1 year ago
[-] CADmonkey@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

I was picturing something more like a mortar and pestle but this makes more sense! It's just like a mill you'd find in, well, a windmill, but smaller and hand operated.

[-] SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml 4 points 1 year ago

Yeah, pretty much. It's a solid design, not much reason to change it drastically.

[-] young_broccoli@kbin.social 6 points 1 year ago

Looks like a stone "comal" but its thicker than the ones I know.

[-] krey@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 year ago

it reminds me a bit of a stone tortilliero, but it's not as deep as they usually are. a tortillero is a round shaped container which helps keep tortillas warm during a meal. it usually has a lid, too.

[-] treadful@lemmy.zip 4 points 1 year ago

What about a tortilla press? Put dough in it, place a flat rock on top, and now you got a tortilla.

[-] noname_yet2077@lemmy.world 6 points 1 year ago

That was my first cake

[-] jet@hackertalks.com 4 points 1 year ago

Looks like the bottom half of a press. You heated up you put something heavy on top and it will make small tortillas, good for street hand tacos

[-] vivadanang@lemm.ee 4 points 1 year ago

yup. suitable for any kind of open flame, retains heat and keeps on cooking once you warm it up.

this post was submitted on 11 Sep 2023
70 points (97.3% liked)

What is this thing?

5242 readers
2 users here now

Let us help you identify that mysterious object you’ve found.

Currently in CHALLENGE mode: If you've got something obscure knocking about, post a picture, and let's see how we do. Please prefix such posts with "CHALLENGE:" so we know we've got a fighting chance.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS