I've encountered a formatting issue when I copy and paste Markdown content into Obsidian. It seems that a lot of empty lines are added, making the text look wonky. Does anyone else face this problem, and if so, how do you go about fixing it? I'd appreciate any tips or tricks to streamline this process.

On another note, I'm also curious if there's a simple guide available for using Vim keybindings in Obsidian. If you have any recommendations or resources for using Vim keybindings in Obsidian, please share them!

Thanks in advance for your help.

top 3 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] med@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

The extra lines are probably the Markdown syntax converting existing formatting - a single line in rendered text are represented as double lines in markdown source. E.g. by default, copying html with single lines will convert to markdown, which represents them as double lines.

Try adding a shift to the paste command to paste without converting the formatting on text in the clipboard across to markdown. Or there’s a convert from HTML toggle in preferences under Editor.

Vim bindings, as far as I can tell is exactly as vim proper is - any vim cheat-sheet would get you started. However, if Obsidian has a hotkey set that collides with default vim bindings, it seems to pick at random either to do nothing or run the obsidian interface shortcut. Search your hotkeys and rebind if a vim command seems broken!

[-] Kobaltauge@discuss.tchncs.de 1 points 1 year ago

There is a vim mode in the settings of the editor. The only downside is, that the spell checking and correction is not working property then, because of the vim modes.

[-] biscotty666@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Have you tried ctrl-shft-v to paste?

this post was submitted on 08 Sep 2023
12 points (100.0% liked)

ObsidianMD

3765 readers
1 users here now

Unofficial Lemmy community for https://obsidian.md

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS