top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Retrograde@lemmy.world 7 points 9 hours ago

What if the flies just hated the smell of the paint lol

[-] Reddfugee42@lemmy.world 2 points 10 hours ago

Can someone forward this to Trump's team

[-] Holyhandgrenade@lemmy.world 58 points 1 day ago
[-] bstix@feddit.dk 17 points 23 hours ago

If they figure out if it's the white stripes or black stripes that do the trick they could reach 100%.

[-] bi_tux@lemmy.world 14 points 1 day ago

I first read function as in mathemetical function, now I wonder, what the avarege zebras stripes function is

[-] felsiq@lemmy.zip 3 points 23 hours ago

Pedantic warning: it’s not a conventional function, cuz it’d be multivalued for any given input no matter where you put the axes lol

[-] JokeDeity@lemm.ee 19 points 1 day ago

Source? I'm curious to read about this. How do they know the paint didn't do it? Another comment here said that spots also do the trick, so if you have two cows in the same field, one spotted and one solid colored, is the solid colored cow getting 2x as many flies? Do the stripes still work when surrounded by other cows who don't have stripes? So many questions!

[-] exasperation@lemm.ee 15 points 1 day ago

How do they know the paint didn't do it?

There were 3 groups of black cows: an unpainted control group, a black stripe group painted with black stripes (not very visible because the cows were already black), and a black and white painted group. The control group had similar results to the black stripe group, which suggests that the black paint alone didn't do anything.

So further research could be to compare to an all black painted group and an all white painted group, with no unpainted fur, as well. If it's the pattern, then one would expect the totally painted cattle of either paint color would see similar results as unpainted.

[-] JokeDeity@lemm.ee 3 points 13 hours ago

Brilliant, thanks!

This is why we need the paper linked with the meme. It seems obvious that a fly would prefer skin to paint.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] wolfpack86@lemmy.world 94 points 1 day ago

Tha smartest mother fucker in the room

[-] LordWiggle@lemmy.world 11 points 1 day ago

What is the burger tie for? To repel hippies?

[-] Emmie@lemm.ee 5 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

What is America known for? Burgers and prisons

Little kids think haha funny burgler, adults shudder and cry

[-] ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world 1 points 17 hours ago

adults shudder and cry

Swiper, no swiping!

[-] chonglibloodsport@lemmy.world 11 points 1 day ago

No it’s to wipe the sauce off his chin after finishing a burger!

[-] takenaps@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

What that second burger tie for O.o

[-] wieson@lemmy.world 82 points 1 day ago

In the cited study with buckets, it was shown that striped and spotted surfaces attract fewer flies.

That makes me think if Nguni cattle Nguni cattle have an easier time with those pests.

If yes, that would be another plus for hardy landraces in place of overengineered, capitalmaxxed breeds.

[-] LordWiggle@lemmy.world 39 points 1 day ago

I'm going on holiday to Cambodia in February. Guess I'll bring my body paint supplies and run around in war stripes over my body.

[-] Swedneck@discuss.tchncs.de 13 points 1 day ago

now that the song is playing forcefully in my brain i'm going to make you suffer with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA

[-] roguetrick@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

Don't forget to pack a wife.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] pjwestin@lemmy.world 6 points 23 hours ago

Interesting. A while ago, I read that zebra stripes were meant to confuse predators. Basically, the idea was that when they ran as a herd, their stripes made it difficult to tell where one zebra ended and the other began. I wonder if that's considered bunk now or if this is supposed to be an additional benefit.

[-] over_clox@lemmy.world 126 points 1 day ago

Did they study the paint chemicals themselves to see if that by itself was a natural bug repellant?

Did they check if the paint chemicals are even safe for cows?

🤔

[-] Liz@midwest.social 49 points 1 day ago

Yes. They had a control group with only black stripes along with an unpainted group. I would have to assume they also checked the paints for potential repellents, but I only skimmed the article.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6776349/

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] essteeyou@lemmy.world 60 points 1 day ago

What if it's just the white stripes (not the band)? Do white cows have the same number of flies? What if you paint them with black stripes?

Maybe those are answered in the article, but I'll never read it.

[-] SmoothLiquidation@lemmy.world 39 points 1 day ago

I haven’t read the study, but most of these would need a placebo group, so divide the herd into thirds, one with no paint, one with stripes, and one fully painted white to get a baseline for each group. Also would be good to randomize which group each cow goes in each day so to rule out one cow who is especially tasty to flies.

[-] Tja@programming.dev 19 points 1 day ago

Also blindfold the scientists and the cows so it's double blind. We don't want the cows acting in a fly-attracting way because of placebo.

[-] StaticFalconar@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago

What if you actually read the study before asking questions 😅😜🤔

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] gmtom@lemmy.world 24 points 1 day ago

I'm about to start dressing like beetlejuice

[-] rand_alpha19@moist.catsweat.com 85 points 1 day ago
[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 38 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

You're a hero.

FYI if this sort of study is your thing, Temple Grandin published her studies as a volume and they're quite good reading. More of them delve into human psychology than you'd think for someone who's famous for working with animals. Source: I paged through it while waiting in a book store

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com 50 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

So, I was able to convince a coworker that I had a friend who worked at our nearby zoo, and that my friend let me in on the secret that zebras aren't real, they're just horses painted to look like that, "big zoo is lying to us to get our money," you know.

Well, long story short I'm gonna need to steal this image from you and crop it, thanks.

[-] CrispyFern@hexbear.net 26 points 1 day ago

That one zoo that painted a donkey and tried to pass it off as a zebra were just way ahead of their time

[-] Imgonnatrythis@sh.itjust.works 27 points 1 day ago

Why has evolution let these cows down?

[-] InverseParallax@lemmy.world 53 points 1 day ago

I mean, we kind of hijacked evolution in favor of hypergrowth and ludicrous gazongas a long time ago.

[-] daniskarma@lemmy.dbzer0.com 14 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Hippity, hoppity. Your natural selection is now my property!

[-] lennivelkant@discuss.tchncs.de 14 points 1 day ago

Some horse fly blankets and hoods have a zebra pattern, probably for the same reason.

[-] AFC1886VCC@reddthat.com 13 points 1 day ago
[-] HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world 23 points 1 day ago

Reminds me of a donkey I saw in Mexico painted like a zebra trying to trick tourists

Sure, but there's also the secondary market of people who think it's hilarious to get a photo with a donkey painted like a zebra to trick tourists. Lean into it a bit, like wrestling, it could be fun.

[-] Cort@lemmy.world 19 points 1 day ago

This is no donkey painted like a zebra, it's a majestic hybrid zonkey. Just 5 dollars to take a photo, or 3 for $10.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] ummthatguy@lemmy.world 38 points 1 day ago

Good for their physical health, but not great for their personal goals and expectations.

load more comments (6 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
1033 points (99.6% liked)

Science Memes

10559 readers
3939 users here now

Welcome to c/science_memes @ Mander.xyz!

A place for majestic STEMLORD peacocking, as well as memes about the realities of working in a lab.

Rules

1. Don't throw mud. Behave like an intellectual and remember the human.
  2. Keep it rooted (on topic).
  3. No spam.
  4. Infographics welcome, get schooled.

Research Committee

Other Mander Communities

Science and Research

Biology and Life Sciences

Physical Sciences

Humanities and Social Sciences

Practical and Applied Sciences

Memes

Miscellaneous