top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Mobiledecay@lemmy.world 4 points 4 hours ago

So this is why my TV walked into the bathroom while I was dropping a deuce. 🤔

[-] iMastari@lemmy.world 1 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

If just using a Smart TV for a computer monitor, what is the easiest way to keep it from sending your information? Just keeping it away from WiFi? Would it be able to connect via your HDMI?

[-] tomkatt@lemmy.world 1 points 19 minutes ago

The other person said to never connect to wifi, but I'd say either put it on an isolated wifi (guest network) and lock it down to LAN-only access in your router, if at all possible.

The reason being that these devices are aggressive about getting a wifi signal, and even if they can't connect to yours, they'll apparently search for unprotected wifi networks and connect to those to send data and phone home. Locking it down to LAN only prevents this, and isolating to a guest network means no information about other devices on your network.

It's utterly insane we have to do this stuff. If you're willing to spend more, there are commercial signage displays you can buy that are essentially dumb TVs, and that is pretty much the only way to get a dumb TV today (and obviously, don't expect smart features from it).

[-] nwtreeoctopus@sh.itjust.works 4 points 3 hours ago

Never connect to wifi. Don't agree to the ToS. It can't connect to your network via hdmi.

We have a PiHole running and the TV makes constant attempts to connect to home-base.

[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 60 points 15 hours ago

One way to get Congress to act on this would be to remind them of how Robert Bork's video rental history got released. They very quickly realized that they all had the same sleazy movies on their rental list and passed a law making it illegal to share them.

Call your Congressmen and tell them that their smart TV is sending screenshots of whatever they're watching back to home base, including stuff that's not streamed, and there might be swift action.

Better yet, hack Samsung and leak it to the press. That'll definitely light a fire under them.

[-] PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world 54 points 16 hours ago

I blocked my two TVs from phoning home via my pihole. They are the two noisiest devices on my network, by leaps and bounds.

On a day of heavy usage, my phone and desktop may get ~2000 blocked requests combined. That’s high, but not unheard of. It just means I did a lot of browsing, with a lot of blocked ad requests. My TVs average somewhere around 7500 blocked requests per day, on days that I haven’t even turned them on. That’s an attempt to phone home every ~12 seconds. And it is much worse on days that I actually use them.

[-] Poem_for_your_sprog@lemmy.world 6 points 4 hours ago

I got a 42" 4k computer monitor instead

[-] rob_t_firefly@lemmy.world 5 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

How many times the cost of a comparably-sized Trojan TV did that run you?

[-] ChaoticEntropy@feddit.uk 14 points 10 hours ago* (last edited 10 hours ago)

To be clear though, that's largely because it is just repeating the same request over and over as it times out and retries. They're a lot less noisy when they actually connect successfully, though it is still undesirable for them to do so.

[-] MajorasMaskForever@lemmy.world 4 points 12 hours ago

Jesus dude, what brand TV do you have?

My LG issues a few hundred blocked requests throughout the day with heavy usage. I've never seen it wake up and phone home (my Nintendo Switch does it every hour for some stupid reason)

[-] PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world 6 points 11 hours ago

One is a Samsung, and the other is a Roku. The Roku is a little bit noisier, but not by much.

[-] cordlesslamp@lemmy.today 6 points 14 hours ago

Maybe i'm stupid, but why would a TV even do that? All it's know is what you're watching today, right? How is that information useful? If you're living with other people, the TV couldn't even know who's watching, that would make the data useless.

[-] Croquette@sh.itjust.works 11 points 14 hours ago

Data mining. They know what you watch, when you don't and any other habits you have.

If you have a microphone on your remote or tv, then they also send that data over.

[-] ArcticPrincess@lemmy.ml 3 points 13 hours ago

Knowing the distribution of what entire households watch is very useful. It's not about spying on you personally.

[-] reggu@lemmy.world 8 points 10 hours ago

..seems rather personal to me.

[-] null@slrpnk.net 9 points 12 hours ago

And what other devices are on the network, and what they're chattering about

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works 27 points 17 hours ago

I’m more than happy to buy a TV that uses post-purchase monetization, because I am never going to connect that fucker to the internet. It’s a display. I shall use it as a display. I do not care that it can replace my streaming box. I fully control my streaming box, and I will use that.

If I catch it doing any sketchy shit like trying to use unsecured/Comcast/etc WiFi to phone home, it’ll be time to pull out the screwdriver, though.

[-] Someonelol@lemmy.dbzer0.com 12 points 16 hours ago

What happens when it no longer needs your WiFi and uses something like LoRa to phone home with your data and location? It may not know who you are exactly but it'll have a good guess.

[-] BlindFrog@lemmy.world 5 points 14 hours ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoRa (Long Range)

It's a low power, large range connection technology, working a bit like a mesh network. It can achieve data rates between 0.3 kbit/s and 27 kbit/s and enables geolocation services. According to the LoRa Development Portal, the range provided by LoRa can be up to 3 miles (4.8 km) in urban areas, and up to 10 miles (16 km) or more in rural areas (line of sight).

As soon as your LoRa-Device is in range of another LoRa-Device, it will probably be able to phone home.

[-] null@slrpnk.net 4 points 12 hours ago
load more comments (2 replies)
[-] b3an@lemmy.world 29 points 19 hours ago

Why do we continue to be ok with this? Where is the outrage and call for change?

[-] nexusband@lemmy.world 4 points 11 hours ago

Because it works and provides a use case. Most "simpletons" do not want to invest any more time in than putting some Account Data and start watching netflix or whatever. "We" (e.g. the people that care about data privacy and stuff) never have been okay with that shit...

[-] A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world 32 points 18 hours ago

the overwhelming bulk of humanity cant be fucked to care about shit like this.. until it personally affects them.

Then they will wail like banshees about the great injustice of it all, and how could anyone let it happen to them.

[-] Bytemeister@lemmy.world 12 points 17 hours ago

It's there, but people forget about it when they can get a 4" bigger TV for 100 bucks less.

[-] Lightrider@sh.itjust.works 13 points 16 hours ago
[-] Telodzrum@lemmy.world 3 points 7 hours ago

Ahh yes, unlike all those non-capitalist modern nations with their complete lack of widespread insidious surveillance.

[-] secretfoxtail@lemmy.ca 32 points 20 hours ago

They called me crazy.

[-] Fedizen@lemmy.world 53 points 22 hours ago

can we just ban online features from tvs, cars, printers, light bulbs etc.

load more comments (5 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
1322 points (99.6% liked)

Technology

58521 readers
4869 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS