submitted 18 hours ago by Blisterexe@lemmy.zip to c/firefox@lemmy.ml

MARK SURMAN, PRESIDENT, MOZILLA Keeping the internet, and the content that makes it a vital and vibrant part of our global society, free and accessible has

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 12 points 8 hours ago

I'm completely fine with anonymized ads being an option in theory, but there needs to be a way to compensate services w/o resorting to advertising. I think Mozilla should provide a way for users to pay to opt-out of ads, and get websites on board that way.

Websites want to get paid for their work, and advertising is the easiest way to do that. The solution isn't better ads, but alternative revenue streams for websites, and I'm 100% fine with Mozilla taking a cut of that alternative revenue stream. But I will not tolerate ads on my browser.

I hoped Brave would've solved this problem by letting users pay to remove ads, but instead they went to crypto to reward viewing ads. That's the opposite of what I want, and I really hope Mozilla has someone still working there in a position that matters that understands that.

[-] felsiq@lemmy.zip 1 points 5 hours ago

Isn’t that exactly what brave did? I wasn’t a fan of their “watch ads to get BAT” system either, but the alternative was always to just buy BAT with actual money. I’d rather see Mozilla work with brave to collaborate and improve on the BAT strategy than to start another competing standard, personally.

[-] Blisterexe@lemmy.zip 3 points 7 hours ago

that's actually the first good idea ive seen somebody suggest mozilla do instead!

For the moment you can donate to sites you like while keeping the adblocker on.

[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 7 points 7 hours ago

Yup, and that's generally what I do.

I honestly just want to put $20 in a pool or something and have the browser deduct from that balance when I visit a site. The sites I visit more get more of my money, and I'll get a record of how much each site changes per visitor to decide whether I want to keep going there. If they use something like GNU Taler for the accounting, the sites can't track me at all, they'll just get micropayments and settle up with Mozilla at some interval.

Yet Mozilla seems to not consider this at all. Their entire messaging is "better ads," not "alternatives to ads."

[-] Trainguyrom@reddthat.com 1 points 2 hours ago

This is exactly what I've been saying. Shove a virtual tip jar in the browser and let it pay out to websites based on viewership. I could even imagine a model where sites simply say "you must have at least $x in your tip jar to view this site, or pay us directly $y per month" for sites like Wall Street Journal that now paywall everything away

[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 19 points 13 hours ago

Users don't want ads and advertisers want something that can collect as much data as possible.

Mozilla as lost both

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] ziviz@lemmy.sdf.org 32 points 15 hours ago

A fundamental flaw in this, is it still involves user data, even if "anonymized". You can advertise without any user data. We do it all the time. Does a television channel know your gender? Does a radio station know if you bought a car recently? Does the newspaper know your hobbies?

[-] HappyStarDiaz@real.lemmy.fan 0 points 5 hours ago

Yes they have known these things for decades

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] JubilantJaguar@lemmy.world 57 points 17 hours ago

This will be easy to hate on, but let's be careful not to get carried away.

Maintaining a web browser is basically the toughest mission in software. LibreWolf and PaleMoon and IceWhatsit and all the rest are small-time amateur projects that are dependent on Firefox. They do not solve the problem we have. To keep a modicum of privacy and openness, the web is de-facto dependent on Firefox continuing to exist in the medium term. And it has to be paid for somehow.

This reminds me of the furore about EME, the DRM sandbox that makes Netflix work. I was against it at the time but I see now that the alternative would have been worse. It would have been the end of Firefox. Sometimes there's no good option and you have to accept the least bad.

[-] d0ntpan1c@lemmy.blahaj.zone 5 points 8 hours ago

Also, if firefox does better it'll forward the benefits of a better browser with more usage, more funding, faster features, and more on to the forks for those who want to use them. There is basically no downside for librewolf users here and its to their benefit to encourage for normie's to use firefox anyway

Getting angry at Mozilla for finding a way to survive by trying to offer something less evil won't solve the privacy problem in advertising. That has to be solved at the government level, and if anything, what Mozilla is working towards here is probably the best case scenario for a legislated solution in the US's economy.

[-] LWD@lemm.ee 2 points 6 hours ago

what Mozilla is working towards here is probably the best case scenario for a legislated solution in the US's economy.

No thank you, I don't want an ad company dictating legislation. Even if it wasn't in bed with Facebook, I wouldn't want that.

[-] d0ntpan1c@lemmy.blahaj.zone 1 points 5 hours ago

If it were up to me, ads wouldn't be legal but we live in this society and it has an economy that won't ever get there without sweeping change.

Ad companies do and will continue dictating legislation in the US, so I'm not sure why Mozilla now being an ad company and the parent foundation historically being involved in privacy law and lobbying for privacy measures matters to you so much. Its not like the Mozilla foundation has been that radical historically anyway.

All this mozilla hate just further divides the people wanting something better. We domt all have to agree on what better vs best vs perfect is if were all pushing in the direction of better for now.

[-] ants_are_everywhere@mathstodon.xyz -1 points 4 hours ago

@d0ntpan1c @JubilantJaguar

what, concretely, do you believe they are offering that is less evil? Their proposed ad tech is no more private than Google's or Apple's.

And they can't afford the army Google and Apple employ to prevent data leaks.

What concrete parts of the Mozilla proposal do you believe is an improvement over Chrome and Safari?

[-] d0ntpan1c@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

Anonym isnt built into firefox, so idk why you'd think any of this has to do with other browsers.

From a privacy perspective, Anonym is only providing its customers anonymized data which has no direct reference to individual users. That's way better than say, a site using Facebook pixel being able to learn a hell of a lot about other sites you've visited and ads you've seen that are served by facebook.

Web platform security isn't about having an army of people. That's a gross oversimplification. And Mozilla already operates some massive online services that are juicy targets for hackers anyway, so it's not like they're new at this or something.

[-] nxn@biglemmowski.win 2 points 8 hours ago* (last edited 8 hours ago)

To keep a modicum of privacy and openness, the web is de-facto dependent on Firefox continuing to exist in the medium term. And it has to be paid for somehow.

The web today has no privacy or openness. It has gmail accounts, russian propaganda bots, and AI SEO article spam. Does it matter which rose tinted browser you care to view or interact with this shit through? I'm approaching 40 and the web has been a fundamental part of my life to the point that I am sometimes bewildered about what I'd do without it. It is a sinking ship though, and at this point I'm much more interested in seeing alternatives to HTTP rather than trying to save the mess we built on-top of it.

[-] JubilantJaguar@lemmy.world 1 points 8 hours ago

This analysis strikes me as a nice mix of cynicism and revolutionary thinking. In my own analysis of history, cynicism has never achieved anything except worsen what it claims to hate. As for revolutions, they mostly never even happen, and when they do happen they achieve nothing except heartache and backlash. The only way forward that actually works is slowly, one step at a time, building on what you have.

[-] nxn@biglemmowski.win 1 points 8 hours ago* (last edited 7 hours ago)

Ok, let's try to narrow this down so our exchanges aren't vague. To me going from propellers to jet engines would have been "revolutionary", but to you it may have just been incrementally expanding on the concept of a wing that keeps aircraft afloat.

So for clarity, I'm not suggesting a complete replacement to HTTP. I don't envision a world where the web as we know gets fully "replaced". But, I do think that it has out lived its purpose and ultimately we should be seeking a better protocol for information exchange. Or, in other words, I don't think formulating a solution that can provide privacy, integrity, etc should be restricted to being built on HTTP just because that is what we essentially consider the web to be today.

[-] JubilantJaguar@lemmy.world 1 points 6 hours ago

Fair points. Talking of revolution was indeed a bit vague.

Perhaps I am just more conservative in temperament. I focus on the value in keeping things and improving them. Software lends itself to iterative development where the result can still end up being revolutionary. So my intuition is that if there's a problem with HTTP then let's solve that problem rather than throwing the whole thing out and losing all its accrued value. In this case 3 decades of web archives and the skills capital of all the people who make it work.

Sure, HTTP is suboptimal, and as a sometime web developer I can see that HTML is verbose and ugly and was only chosen because XML was fashionable back then. Even the domain name system suffers from original sin: the TLDs should come first, not last!

Human culture is messy. Throwing things out is risky and even reckless given that the alternative is all but certain not to work out as imagined. Much safer to build upon and improve things than to destroy them.

[-] RoyaltyInTraining@lemmy.world 32 points 16 hours ago

I would love to give Firefox money, as long as they slash their CEO's ridiculous salary

[-] dojan@lemmy.world 22 points 16 hours ago

And slash the CEO as well. Not literally of course.

[-] PriorityMotif@lemmy.world 3 points 7 hours ago

In Minecraft

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] LWD@lemm.ee 10 points 15 hours ago

I'm in the same boat. Mozilla can't be trusted with donations until they can prove they spend money responsibly. Money, like trust, should not be given by default.

[-] davel@lemmy.ml 10 points 13 hours ago
[-] LWD@lemm.ee 15 points 15 hours ago

Mozilla has a clear conflict of interest in their statements: they are now an ad company. Because of this, they must be approached with skepticism.

Every corporation invested in unhealthy ventures will say it is necessary, and they can do it ethically, regardless of how misleading or untrue it is. They will launder their bad behavior through an organization to make it appear more ethical and healthy.

Mozilla is doing nothing new under the sun. But for some reason, after burning through so much community goodwill, some people are still willing to give Mozilla the benefit of the doubt with a technology that they surely would not have given Google or Adobe or Facebook the same treatment.

Surely we wouldn't ignore the canary in the coal mine until it was too late. Surely, we wouldn't look at a huge corporation and say "this time it won't be the same."

When Google acquired DoubleClick, they positioned it as a net good for everybody in terms of privacy. DoubleClick was notoriously awful in those terms. Google said (and people, including myself, believed) that by owning them, Google can make them into something better.

Instead, DoubleClick made Google into something much, much worse.

[-] kindenough@kbin.earth 6 points 13 hours ago

For now I installed Librefox on my devices until I am familiar with the json scripts stripping Firefox from these new features.

[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 5 points 13 hours ago

*Librewolf

Nice choice though. I personally would recommend the resist fingerprinting toggle extension as well

[-] BlackEco@lemmy.blackeco.com 21 points 18 hours ago

A free and open internet shouldn’t come at the expense of privacy

Free as in free beer, not as in freedom unfortunately

[-] kbal@fedia.io 19 points 17 hours ago

Mozilla: For the foreseeable future, there's a lot of money in advertising, and we want some of it. It's all over the Internet. Why shouldn't some of the profit go to people like us, people who wish things were different even while bravely facing the harsh reality that there is no other choice but to devote ourselves to commercial advertising?

We know that everyone in our community will hate the idea, but surely this too is a sign that we are on the right path. By doing unpopular things, we demonstrate the courage that's needed to save the Internet from the kind of future where Mozilla can't get a piece of the biggest market on the Internet, the only one that matters, the market for advertising.

[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 7 points 13 hours ago

They should find other ways to make money. There are so many different ways they could create value.

Also I'm not convinced that Mozilla would make much off of ads anyway as the ad space is very competitive

load more comments (9 replies)
[-] Carighan@lemmy.world 20 points 17 hours ago

Sure, you can see it like that.

Doesn't change the reality. Sarcasm doesn't pay bills and personel costs, and hence most websites directly or indirectly rely on advertising. As does most other content like podcasts or videos.

We can either keep being delusional and pretend we can magically revolutionize the whole internet and much of the business around it, or we can be a bit more realistic and try some reforms, like less privacy-intrusive advertising and analysis.

Which do you think has a better chance to actually improve the actual privacy for users? Hrm?

load more comments (13 replies)
load more comments (1 replies)
[-] frauddogg@hexbear.net 13 points 16 hours ago* (last edited 16 hours ago)

And my privacy should not come at the cost of capitalists trying to still figure out how to push their poison into my brain; verifiably anonymized or not. Flat out point blank period. The ad-block, tracker fuzzers, and fingerprint meddlers aren't coming out of my browser; and if they mysteriously 'disappear', I'm moving.

[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 5 points 13 hours ago

For what's its worth I agree with the hexbear user

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2024
110 points (94.4% liked)

Firefox

17302 readers
290 users here now

A place to discuss the news and latest developments on the open-source browser Firefox

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS