top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world 3 points 2 hours ago

One thing that happened is that I see AI spam farms less and less on some platforms, others are started to refusing to label theirs as such on art platforms like Pixiv, to have a wider reach (they get immediately blocked and mass reported by normal people).

[-] lohky@lemmy.world 29 points 10 hours ago
[-] dream_weasel@sh.itjust.works 9 points 10 hours ago

Wish I had more upvotes to give.

[-] lohky@lemmy.world 5 points 10 hours ago* (last edited 10 hours ago)

That stupid bit drilled less vs fewer into my head for the rest of my life.

[-] Shard@lemmy.world 3 points 10 hours ago
[-] nandi@lemmy.world 6 points 11 hours ago
[-] gandalf_der_12te@lemmy.blahaj.zone 32 points 17 hours ago

People are freaking out because for years, the central dogma was to "educate yourself, that makes you special, that makes you unique, that guarantees you a prosperois economic future" and such, and now this promise is about to be broken. People are in denial: AI is a good thing.

[-] boonhet@lemm.ee 53 points 15 hours ago

People are in denial: AI is a good thing.

Not in our broken ass system. First we need an economic system where people want to, but don't need to work.

[-] explodicle@sh.itjust.works 6 points 12 hours ago

That better system looks more realistic now that we can have AI and robots do nearly everything. The artificial scarcity is becoming more and more obvious.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] Dasus@lemmy.world 5 points 10 hours ago

Well, it's good — if some of the profits of the increased productivity make it to the people who aren't billionaires or multimillionaires.

[-] callyral@pawb.social 22 points 14 hours ago* (last edited 14 hours ago)

if you don't have a job, you don't get paid, so you lack basic things.

if robots just did everything, and necessities (food, water, heating, cooling, etc) were free, then that would be great. unfortunately, that's not the reality we live in right now, so of course plenty of people (including myself) don't like AI.

[-] Allero@lemmy.today 1 points 12 hours ago

Isn't this hate somewhat misplaced, still? Like, AI under capitalism might hurt you, but the problem is not AI.

Instead of working on core issue, many people try to ban every symptom, and it might be a very simple distraction tool.

[-] Randomgal@lemmy.ca 11 points 13 hours ago

I agree 100% with this. Often arguments "against" AI summarize to "it is my suffering what gave my art value, so yours has none."

Bro, that's what capitalism told you. Your issue is not the "value" of AI it is the system that assigns and controls said value.

[-] nickwitha_k@lemmy.sdf.org 10 points 11 hours ago* (last edited 11 hours ago)

Often arguments "against" AI summarize to "it is my suffering what gave my art value, so yours has none."

I see it more as: "AI is being used to increase suffering and kneecap labor, especially forms of labor which are considered pleasant. In the process, nearly every cent surrounding LLMs replacing workers is getting redirected to the already wealthy."

[-] Randomgal@lemmy.ca 4 points 10 hours ago

So you mean AI is being used by Capitalism, the same way it uses everything else?

[-] bane_killgrind@slrpnk.net 9 points 10 hours ago

As a tool to deprive the workers from the means of production, yeah.

[-] nickwitha_k@lemmy.sdf.org 2 points 10 hours ago
[-] ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world 6 points 13 hours ago

Oh great, instead of me, a machine owned by a capitalist will produce the art! /s

[-] mm_maybe@sh.itjust.works 1 points 9 hours ago

Friendly reminder that my AI-generated image detector is available to use free of charge here: https://huggingface.co/spaces/umm-maybe/sdxl-detector

[-] ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

Except these are very prone to false positives.

[-] levzzz@lemmy.world 11 points 18 hours ago* (last edited 18 hours ago)

obligatory meme generated by AI (flux 1.dev on my rtx 4070 super)

[-] ContrarianTrail@lemm.ee 119 points 1 day ago

That's my issue with people saying stuff like "I can immediately tell when a picture is made with AI and I hate how they look"

Your assesment doesn't take into account all the false negatives. You have no idea how many pictures have tricked you already. By definition, the picture is badly made if you can immediately tell it's AI. That's a bit like seeing the most flamboyantly gay person on the street and thinking all gays look like that and you can always spot them while the closeted friend you're with flies perfectly under the radar.

[-] zarkanian@sh.itjust.works 14 points 14 hours ago

I recently saw a photo on some website. It was from a Trump rally, and people had these freaky, ecstatic looks on their faces. Somebody commented that it looked like AI. Other people soon agreed; one of them remarked on the bizarre, "alien" hand on one of the babies in the crowd. That hand did look weird. There were too few fingers. It looked like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle hand.

The problem was that this image was originally from a news story that was years prior to ChatGPT and the current AI boom. For this to be AI, the photographer would've had to have access to experimental software that was years away from being released to the public.

Sometimes people just look weird and, sometimes, they have weird hands, too.

[-] 31337@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 hours ago

AI image generators have been around for a fairly long time. I remember deepfake discussion from about a decade ago. Not saying the image in discussion is though. I remember Alex Jones making conspiracy theories that revolved around Bush and lossy video compression artifacts too.

[-] lolcatnip@reddthat.com 13 points 17 hours ago

A more timely example is the people who think they can always tell when someone is trans.

[-] Ultraviolet@lemmy.world 17 points 19 hours ago
[-] ContrarianTrail@lemm.ee 3 points 19 hours ago

I didn't know it had a name. Thanks!

[-] RQG@lemmy.world 13 points 19 hours ago

Reminds me of all the people who believe commercials and advertising doesn't work on them. Sure, that's why billions are spent on it. Because it doesn't even do anything. Oh it only works on all the other people?

That's why it is so hard to get that stuff regulated. People believe it doesn't work on them.

[-] Donkter@lemmy.world 1 points 14 hours ago

That's the real fear of AI. Not that it's stealing art jobs or whatever. But that all it takes is for a politician or business man to claim something is AI, no matter how corroborated it is and throw the whole investigation for a loop. It's not a thing now, because no one knows about advanced AI (except for internet bubbles) and it's still thought that you can easily differentiate images, but imagine even 5 years from, or 10.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] DillyDaily@lemmy.world 52 points 1 day ago

As a visually impaired person on the internet. YES! welcome to our world!

You're lucky enough to get an image description that helpfully describes the image.

That description rarely tells you if it's AI generated, that's if the description writer even knows themselves.

Everyone in the comments saying "look at the hands, that's AI generated", and I'm sitting here thinking, I just have to trust the discussion, because that image, just like every other image I've ever seen, is hard to fully decipher visually, let alone look for evidence of AI.

[-] P4ulin_Kbana@lemmy.eco.br 2 points 14 hours ago

I'm sorry that you have to go through this stuff.

[-] JackbyDev@programming.dev 22 points 1 day ago

Alt text: a beautiful girl on a dock at sunset with some fugly hands and broken ass fingees

load more comments (3 replies)
load more comments (5 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 05 Oct 2024
898 points (97.9% liked)

Science Memes

10539 readers
1310 users here now

Welcome to c/science_memes @ Mander.xyz!

A place for majestic STEMLORD peacocking, as well as memes about the realities of working in a lab.

Rules

1. Don't throw mud. Behave like an intellectual and remember the human.
  2. Keep it rooted (on topic).
  3. No spam.
  4. Infographics welcome, get schooled.

Research Committee

Other Mander Communities

Science and Research

Biology and Life Sciences

Physical Sciences

Humanities and Social Sciences

Practical and Applied Sciences

Memes

Miscellaneous