submitted 20 hours ago by return2ozma@lemmy.world to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] mbirth@lemmy.ml 10 points 1 hour ago

The fear of naked (intact) female bodies, i.e. censoring of even the slightest nudity, when at the same time, it’s totally fine to have minors play computer games where they can dissect other humans in great bloody detail.

Oh, and chocolate that tastes like somebody barfed into it during manufacturing.

[-] AceFuzzLord@lemm.ee 1 points 19 minutes ago

Other chocolate I've tried from other countries through import stores definitely tend to beat our chocolate. Definitely gotta agree to a degree with that one.

[-] Yerbouti@sh.itjust.works 2 points 51 minutes ago* (last edited 48 minutes ago)

Fast food portion sizes. It's out of control. Drinking 1 liter of soda for lunch shouldn't be normalized. BTW most people are super friendly and nice, in Michigan at least.

Oh, and why is all the cheese orange ?

[-] StopJoiningWars 20 points 2 hours ago

The amount of sugar in any food of yours! It's incredibly sickening and I'm not sure how you deal with that.

[-] Asafum@feddit.nl 2 points 1 hour ago

I've started noticing that now that I cook 100% of the food I eat. No more processed anything, no more prepackaged anything, no more eating out.

Mostly because of money and my location, but I'm better off for it.

[-] ALoafOfBread@lemmy.ml 3 points 1 hour ago* (last edited 1 hour ago)

That's the neat thing: our pancreases do! Until they don't...

[-] kat_angstrom@lemmy.world 25 points 3 hours ago

Shoes. Indoors, in your own house, on your furniture?!

[-] Dark_Arc@social.packetloss.gg 18 points 2 hours ago

That is divisive even within the country.

I was raised in small town Ohio and taking your shoes off, especially in a strangers home (occasionally not in your own because of practicalities like going back and forth to unload the car), was considered part of common etiquette along with not wearing hats indoors.

Both of those things really depend on your family though as I've definitely met people that just don't care.

[-] Zahille7@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

I don't like walking on my carpeted areas in my shoes, but I don't mind walking in the laminate in shoes. Easier to clean imo.

[-] Dark_Arc@social.packetloss.gg 1 points 1 hour ago

I just don't have carpeted areas ;)

[-] oyo@lemm.ee 2 points 1 hour ago

How can you guys get any work done around the house if you're constantly swapping shoes?

[-] kat_angstrom@lemmy.world 1 points 7 minutes ago

Pffft

Just go barefoot everywhere

British.

I found a lot of things weird, but I did go to Florida like 8 times so it’s to be expected and maybe some of these are exclusive to that state.

• I found it weird that alcohol seemed to be sold only in liquor stores. But you can buy a machine gun in Walmart.
  • The food. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice and all but the quantity. Take sizzlers, you go in order your main meal then get an endless buffet for free. Like I couldn’t eat my steak when it arrived as I was full from the buffet.
  • syrup all over breakfast items and people bigger than id ever seen were gorging and then taking a box home too.
  • enthusiasm: grown ass adults whooping and hollering as we were queuing for rides. I’m a man child myself but it was startling.
  • Jaywalking. Wtf

To throw out some positives. Everyone I met was lovely and nothing like the nut jobs we get to see online. People were polite, friendly and accommodating.

Beautiful nature and national parks.

[-] zod000@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 hour ago

Most grocery stores sell alcohol in Florida, but only the beer and while variety. Hard liquor is only available in liquor stores. FL is actually a lot less restricted on that than many other states.

[-] Dark_Arc@social.packetloss.gg 4 points 2 hours ago

I found it weird that alcohol seemed to be sold only in liquor stores. But you can buy a machine gun in Walmart.

That might be a Florida thing(?) Definitely not an Ohio thing.

The food. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice and all but the quantity. Take sizzlers, you go in order your main meal then get an endless buffet for free. Like I couldn’t eat my steak when it arrived as I was full from the buffet.

Yeah buffets aren't all that common... But they're probably more common here (especially in touristy spots) than other countries.

• syrup all over breakfast items and people bigger than id ever seen were gorging and then taking a box home too.
  • enthusiasm: grown ass adults whooping and hollering as we were queuing for rides. I’m a man child myself but it was startling.

Fair.

• Jaywalking. Wtf

Yeah... Especially in touristy spots and very urban spots some people don't care. I'm assuming you've witnessed Florida man that cuts across 6 lanes of busy traffic.

I think the average American normally only jaywalks if the street is pretty much empty and they don't feel like waiting 3 minutes for the light to change.

[-] watersnipje@lemmy.blahaj.zone 1 points 13 minutes ago

I think there may be a misunderstanding. The concept of jaywalking is nuts to me, and many Europeans. The USA has made it illegal to… walk? In the Netherlands, we don’t even have a word for this. It’s just walking. Traffic participation while not in a car.

[-] selokichtli@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 hour ago

A/C particularly, electricity waste. It's damn ridiculous, even for Texas. Are northerners born in fridges?

[-] Asafum@feddit.nl 4 points 1 hour ago

It gets to be 90°F with a dew point of ~75°F where I am.

You can swim in the air with those numbers and absolutely suffer heat stroke. Fans just circulate the humid as fuck hot air. :(

[-] CoggyMcFee@lemmy.world 1 points 1 hour ago

A problem with this question is that the US is such a big and diverse place, that you could have this same question posed to Americans only, asking about their experience visiting other parts of the US.

[-] Cracks_InTheWalls@sh.itjust.works 15 points 4 hours ago* (last edited 4 hours ago)

Canadian, so it's not all that different, but why. can. I. buy. liquor. in. a. PHARMACY?

Don't know if this is just a California thing, but it was weird as fuck. What's even weirder, in light of this, is they didn't go whole hog and sell cigarettes too. 'Cause helf.

Side story: Went into a Dollar General and bought a can of Sapporo. Ok, not so weird, it's functionally a super basic grocery store with a bunch of other cheap goods. Guy at the counter said, "Oh yeah, they make this beer in some place very far away". Looked at the can - I'm pretty sure he meant Japan, not Guelph, ON Canada.

He wasn't wrong but I did chuckle.

[-] ryathal@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 hour ago

Liquor laws vary wildly throughout the US. The one good thing about Ohio is drive through liquor stores.

[-] krakenfury@lemmy.sdf.org 1 points 1 hour ago

Pharmacies/drug stores in America have unique laws and ordinances that go back to prohibition. During that time, they took over the role of saloons in communities, since they were able to sell medicinal whisky.

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
159 points (97.6% liked)

Asklemmy

43499 readers
1364 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy 🔍

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS