Political observers and experts are raising alarms about the International Longshoreman's Association union strike, which has seen dockworkers suspend their duties unloading cargo at ports along the East and Gulf Coasts — speculating whether the head of the union is attempting economic sabotage in favor of former President Donald Trump.

USMX, the key guild of maritime employers, offered the ILA upwards of 60 percent salary increases in their new contracts. The ILA, however, is demanding even higher increases, as well as the continuation of exorbitant fees to handle shipping containers — a practice so expensive, according to maritime journalist John Konrad, that U.S. ports frequently ship freight over roads hundreds of miles at ten times the expense to consumers rather than transport containers onto secondary barges at a fraction of the price to consumers — as well as a total ban on any new technology to automate ports, which industry experts have warned could destroy the competitiveness of U.S. shipping.

The extreme nature of the demands has caused speculation among observers that the whole thing might be a ploy to get Trump elected.

top 5 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] TheAlbatross@lemmy.blahaj.zone 3 points 5 hours ago

....I dunno this kinda reads as some anti-worker anti-union drivel disguised as an anti-Trump piece...

[-] pelespirit@sh.itjust.works 1 points 4 hours ago

Could be? It's hard to say. (no sarcasm, it really is)

There is no evidence that Daggett's labor demands are meant to influence the presidential election; the ILA has not endorsed a candidate for president, although Daggett was photographed with Trump shortly after the former president survived an assassination attempt in Pennsylvania.

[-] TheAlbatross@lemmy.blahaj.zone 1 points 3 hours ago* (last edited 3 hours ago)

I think the whole point of a union is that it's controlled by far more people than just the head of the union...

Like I don't have to respect every political opinion of a massive group of diverse workers but by God do I think they're entitled to the fruits of their labor more than the wealthy business owners and shareholders. They're the ones that make it possible to receive goods in those ports and we need them far more than any of the people denying their demands.

And I know for a fact the powers that be will do anything in their abilities to convince the common person otherwise, including pitching the workers as the enemy when I know for a fact I have far more in common with them than I do the business owners.

[-] pelespirit@sh.itjust.works 0 points 6 hours ago
[-] Tar_alcaran@sh.itjust.works 1 points 3 hours ago

"weeeeell, this union, anyway"

this post was submitted on 03 Oct 2024
10 points (81.2% liked)

Politics

270 readers
71 users here now

For civil discussion of US politics. Be excellent to each other.

Rule 1: Posts have the following requirements:
▪️ Post articles about the US only

▪️ Title must match the article headline

▪️ Recent (Past 30 Days)

▪️ No Screenshots/links to other social media sites or link shorteners

Rule 2: Do not copy the entire article into your post. One or two small paragraphs are okay.

Rule 3: Articles based on opinion (unless clearly marked and from a serious publication), misinformation or propaganda will be removed.

Rule 4: Posts or comments that are homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist, ableist, will be removed.

Rule 5: Keep it civil. It’s OK to say the subject of an article is behaving like a jerk. It’s not acceptable to say another user is a jerk. Cussing is fine.

Rule 6: Memes, spam, other low effort posting, reposts, advocating violence, off-topic, trolling, offensive, regarding the moderators or meta in content may be removed at any time.

USAfacts.org

The Alt-Right Playbook

Media owners, CEOs and/or board members

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS